Need to buy a boat - can you fish off of a cruiser? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Need to buy a boat - can you fish off of a cruiser?

Hi all:

Need to buy a boat this year! Love to fish but unfortunately will
have the family tagging along ( wife & 3 kids ages 2/5/8 ).

I would love to get a fishing boat, but I can see my family getting
uncomfortable and ruining my good time. And the prices!
Holy cow - fishing boats seem to be pricier than cruisers.

For example, in the low $30K, I can get either a 1999/1998
Grady White 208 "family" walk-around fishing boat or a
1999/1998 26' Chaparral cruiser, comfort to the max.

It makes more sense to get the cruiser, but will I be able to fish
out of it? Will I get guts & blood on the seats?

I'm at a crossroad - any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 10:39 PM

Hey John. Your question is a tough one to answer, but basically it comes down to how much time you are going to fish and how much time you are going to spend cruising. Sure you can fish off of a cruiser, but you will be lacking in a lot of the amenities that a fishing boat would have. Also, do you really want to spend your day worrying about fish blood and bait guts on your nice upholstery? IMHO walkarounds are great at serving both purposes. Depending on the size you get, you have a nice sized cabin for the kiddies and if you do like i did, get a couple of those padded deck chairs from Boat Us. Your fishing area then turns into a sweet lounging area.

As far as price, yes if you are looking at Gradys, the prices will be up there. The resale value on those things is insane. But there are some really nice walkarounds out there for good prices.(especially now) Last year around this time I picked up a 1997 26' WA for under 22K. It was the best move I ever made. BTW my first 3 boats prior.......cruisers.

Good Luck man. Keep me posted on how you do.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for your feedback. I'll check out those chairs. Fishing is what I dream about so my boat better be able to handle it. Its tough to compete with some of the adventures in this forum, but I'll keep you posted!

Again, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Yogreek, Sadlsorz gave you some good advise and i agree,advising someone on what boat will be right for them is difficult, walk arounds are a great compromise.... If your worried about bait and fish guts you can choose a boat with a snap in carpet.... Personaly I wash the boat once a week wheather int needs it or not (If i didnt they'd throw me off the dock)

Never worry about the adventures of others, we all make our own adventures... and with three children you'll have plenty!

Welcome to the sight
Roc
Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
First Mate

I have to reply to this thread, cause John is my office mate. We constantly
argue about what boat we're going to buy. I figure that you need a boat
that you won't outgrow or get scared in.

There will come a time when you're not paying as much attention to
the forcast as well as you should and the swells will be a bit larger than
you expect on the way back in.

Don't let John fool you, he's got more buying power than he lets on...

Of course, John thinks I'm completely nuts but he's mostly right. Always
to excess I guess.

In boat buying, I think timing is everything. Its going to be a long year
for me before I can finally get the boat I want. I personally think John
should get a boat sooner than later so he can take my sorry arsh on it
to ease my pain until then....

--cal
Old 01-06-2006, 11:29 AM

In that case may I suggest a 2006 305 Boston Whaler Conquest.

Seriously though if you are going to be going in the ocean(inshore) you really don't want anything less than a 24' for that exact reason. All it takes is a shift in the wind. IMHO.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:31 AM

You're comparing a Chaparal to a Grady. I'm not even a boat guy and I know that's not a fair comparison.
Like comparing a Ford to a BMW.

My brother in law wanted to go fishing on his cruiser once. A few bluefish and a lot of blood and puked up bait later, that was pretty much it for fishing on his boat.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Sudsy is right. Gradys are one of the higher priced boats out there. If you can give us more details as to how you plan to use the boat, we could make further suggestions. Are you planning to trailer or slip the boat? There's a lot of good mid-tier boats out there. If you're interested in a walk-around then check out Scout, Hydo-sport, and Seaswirl, just to name three. All have pretty good reputations.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Hey Tony, I heard the Seaswirl had the Bayliner hull design.

I like the look of the later model seaswirl's just concerned about the
Hull design I guess.

I agree on the price/performance ratio. Though I think the grady's
will also hold value longer as well.

John's got to update his location... He's got a place in Harwich down the cape.

--cal
Old 01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Hi Guys:

Yes, I'm a confused pup. I guess I should rename this thread to the real title - "My wife is driving me bananas!".

So, if it were up to me, I'd trailer, get a modest fishing boat, live life happier ever after.

In comes wife, one day she doesn't want me to have a boat because she wants to save for the kid's college, the next day she wants me to have a boat but its gotta be big enough for the whole family. Oh, by the way, don't want to spend all that time trailering, but that costs, so around we go back to being financially prudent, ie, boring!

So I gotta grab the bull by the horns:

- 24' young & sexy walk-around
- Valet service at marina ( cheaper than slip ).
- Kids pay for their own college!

or play passive aggressive:

- Save for kid's college
- Take $400+ fishing charters all summer long till my wife figures out
its cheaper to buy a boat.

Either way, success!

Cheers,
John
Old 01-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcal
Hey Tony, I heard the Seaswirl had the Bayliner hull design.

I like the look of the later model seaswirl's just concerned about the
Hull design I guess.

I agree on the price/performance ratio. Though I think the grady's
will also hold value longer as well.

John's got to update his location... He's got a place in Harwich down the cape.

--cal
I have a 97 seaswirl and have gotten stuck in some pretty hairy seas and it handled great. I don't know about the Bayliner hull, I know Trophy is Bayliner.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:14 PM

My uncle has a Sea Swirl and it is one heck of a boat.. nice hull design and cuts the water really nice.

When I was looking for a boat I was ready to drop some coin on a boat and look at a fairly new / used Grady, new Sailfish and new Blue Fin as well as a new North Coast...

I looked at what I would be using the boat for and the time spent.. I also fiqured I'd drop a bunch on electronics and gear so the nice guy in me went for a cheaper boat to make my wife happy.. I can't complain my boat has never let me down and the fishing I do it has worked out great... All my friends were pushing me to go for a CC 40,000 and up so when I came across a boat that was listing for 26,000 for a dealer clearance around 22,000 I jumped at it. I went with my gut and I have been real happy.. guess the moral of the story is choose the ride you feel works for you and you'll be happy in the long run.. Also reading message board and reviews will be enough to drive you crazy.. everyone has their own opinion and the best bet is to wet test your boat

Good luck
Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 AM

Cal, Seaswirl and Hydrasport are both made by Genmar. Seaswirl uses a unique V-Trac hull design. Since Bayliner is not one of the subsidiaries of Genmar, I doubt they have much in common.

Yogreek, whatever you decide to purchace, sea-trial the boat and have a surveyior check-out your intended purchase. Also, for further info on the boats I mentioned (and others) check out the forum The Hull Truth and do a search on boats of interest. You have to weed through the chest-pounders who are trying to justify their own purchase. But there is a lot of good info there.

Purchasing a boat is both fun and nerve-racking. I don't know if your familiy has spent much time in a boat on the ocean but some kids take to it and others don't. If there's some way for you to determine this before your purchase I'd recommend you persue this. Dropping the kind of money you will need to on a 24' walk-around in turn-key condition is a big decision. Having 1 or 2 of your kids absolutely hate it will cause bigger problems which if you know before hand may lead you to a diferrent purchase...or no purchase at all.

I have a somewhat different situation but it does have some common ground with yours. We have owned a small 18 footer for 8 years now and we will be retiring in <2 years. I would like to up-grade to a boat that my wife and I can cruise the coast with. My wife very much enjoys going out on our 18 footer. But I'm not convinced she'd like the cruising life-style. So I've all but decided that when we retire, we'll purchase a used boat, 2-3 years old, at about 24-26 feet. We can evaluate how we like the life-style and if we do, we can have a larger boat comminsioned. If not, we can sell the boat and I'll get one more specific for our/my needs. Since a boat loses about 25% of its sale price in the first 2 years, the hit we'll take in doing it this way will be kept to a minimum.

I'm more interested in a Pilot house because we boat in Maine and the Pilot house allows us to extend the season a little. If your looking for a sexy 24 foot walk-around then the Scout may be the boat for you. This one may be too new, aka a little on the high end $. But it sure is a looker and seems to have all the bells and whistles one could want.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...=83196&start=1
Old 01-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Here's a used 23' Seaswirl W/A in MA with low hours on the motor listing for 25 grand. Also seems nicely equipted including radar as well as GPS.

Not sure what motor that is though.

23 foot sea swirl
Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 AM

Looking closer at that motor on the 99 Seaswirl, it looks to me to be an Evinrude...probably a Ficht. Maybe Roc can weigh in on this and give us his impressions of the Ficht design and issues people have reported.