Merrimack River /Plum Island 9/26-9/29 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 09-29-2005, 08:09 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Merrimack River /Plum Island 9/26-9/29

Wind S/E @ 20-25 / wave hight 3'/ Water temp. 53 /Barometer 30.10 and dropping High tide around 9:00 Fishing from a boat.

Fishing the beach wasnt an option,the river has gone cold at high tide,unless, you like small school bass,I chased a couple of pods of fish under bait with a surface popper( creek chub striper strike) and had some fast action on small fish.....real small...Last night was the first time since May I didnt get a fish at least 15lbs....

AS darkness arrived i moved to the mouth to run the plug (stan gibbs swimmer on wire) there was only one other boat and he was trolling for blue fish .... then the coast gaurd decided that it was time to come out and do boardings with the 40'er, gimme a break, they have no better way to spend the tax payers money, boarding an 18' boat from a 40 ' boat in 3' swell is a sure way to practice a "man overboard drill", but what do you expect from a bunch of cowboys(or girls) that spent their life inland where the biggest water body is their bath tub!....enough ranting....

shortly after they left I was too aggrivated between all the distractions of wind and boyscouts to continue, so I headed home,refuled the boat , got a pizza and sat down to watch the sox LOOSE ,hopefull the weather gods co-operateso I can get out and cod fish on Sunday....

This has been a miserable week fishing wise due to heavy winds, I shoulda surf fished, it woulda been more productive....

Tight lines
Roc
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 08:26 AM

Yeah them coast guard girls are still learning what the ocean is. They must have been bored. Sorry to hear the fishing wasn't the greatest.
I sat down and watched the sox lose also. They had a lot of chances but they keeped stranding men on base. Good luck getting out cod fishing.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

With all respect to the CG, they serve a vital role in the protection of the waterways,I know the trainees need to experience actual conditions to get their experience, i just feel it would be a better use of the "resource" to expedite boardings during a buiser time and if they MUST do them on an empty river do it out of the small boat... MY opinion and I could be wrong!

Fishing is going to wind down here real quick, the weather is not dependable this time of year, that's why I'm not a big fan of the fall run, it's over too quick and the ocean can get wild for days or even weeks....

I guess that I'm just being a grumpy old man... up next....
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 10:00 AM

The wind has been nasty down here too. Looks like things might calm down a little this weekend once this front passes through later today.

I'm going to try to get out with Briggs this weekend for some surf fishing in Little Compton, as we're both stuck on shore right now with bum boats. I've already pretty much missed the fall run so far and from what you're saying Roccus, it doesn't sound like it'll last much longer.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

LOL! Nice pics Roc. It's almost time to hibernate!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

My favorite is the first one with the rainbow sneaking into the picture, the little beast stole a dozen eggs before he became dinner!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:01 PM

HA! I see it now,, I missed that earlier! Nice shot!!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

ya, alot of people miss it first time around,he kept sucking the eggs off of the hook,so I got his carcass on candid camera!

that fish was in a foot of water...do we see a pattern here?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:10 PM

I thought that was a sandy bottom I was seeing,, but I thought surely I was wrong. That's great bro! I'd love to do some ice fishing this winter. Any chance I could tag along sometime? I still need to get that depth sounder back to you. Haven't forgotten about it. I'll try to put it in the mail next week.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:52 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I go every week end once we have ice (usualy by Cristmas) your welcome anytime..but I'm on the Ice at 0 dark 00..... My best action sometimes is at daybreak, although the 'bow in the shot was taken at high noon...just like all fishing,you never know!

dont worry about the sounder, I have no use for it,,do with it what you want...
Old 09-29-2005, 02:02 PM

OK. Thanks Roccus! Hope you get into some cod this weekend!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'll be happy just to be ABLE to get out and try,it's blowing like a hurricain here now, I just brought in the flag so it wouldnt snap off the pole!
Old 09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Lunker

Default Me too!

I am going to chase some big bassy's in Boston Harbor probably for th enext month and the blues but am definitely looking forward to the ice.

If you guys like we can do a get together ice fishing bash at my house/lake Attitash when the time comes.

it would be great to meet everyone. I just started the ice bit two years ago when I moved to Merrimac and it has been fun and it does pass the time while the bassy's take there run south.

let me know guys.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Big K

I realy dont look foreward to the ice, but, it passes the winter...

I havent fished Attitash since they stopped stocking pike, I do most of my fishing on two story ponds and lakes,that way i can fish for trout (my winter time target species) but can fish for largies and pickerel if I want to, I fish plugs in haverhill a few times a winter but spend most of my time bewteen Cobbetts,Canobie and Wnni... they all have big rainbows and in the winter.... rainbows make the world go 'round!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 PM
First Mate

forest lake has some big rainbows, 23in was the biggest we pulled up(trolling not ice and in the spring) if its one thing i can fish for, that is trout in the spring time roc, its like you with striper fishing haha, ive put a lot of years for someone my age fishing for trout...been doing it for 10 years....i love going by people on the shore and catch fish right infront of them...lol i love the reaction.....we are going out tommorow morning to fish for stripers...i dont know how good it is going to be, we are gonna go down to a different river just south of plum island....i donno if we are going to cod this year....