Packaged Herring Bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Default Packaged Herring Bait

Ive been fishing for stripers for 3 years, this run being my fourth. I fish from shore and some times have luck with bait and sometimes don't. I hooked into my first fish last year and feel I have found a great spot on the river as we hooked in on multiple trips through out the run. At this location I have not been successful in getting any bait. I was looking at buying packaged whole Herring and uses chunk. My question is has anyone bought in any stores or over the internet vacu packed herring and been successful? I hate not having any lines in when I first arrive so was thinking of buying some to fish with until I can get some fresh from the river.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Packaged Herring Bait

There is a bait shop in wappingers falls that sell packs of 3
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 PM
First Mate

I fish up in Albany probably won't make it down there. Was gong to see if Conroy's has any or just order some up online but figured i would see if anyone has had any success using them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyfish518 View Post
I fish up in Albany probably won't make it down there. Was gong to see if Conroy's has any or just order some up online but figured i would see if anyone has had any success using them.
Conroy's and Hudson River Bait in Rensselaer both sell herring .... i know Hudson River sells freshly netted herring and i would use that over frozen
Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Conroy's and Hudson River Bait in Rensselaer both sell herring .... i know Hudson River sells freshly netted herring and i would use that over frozen
Thanks I will have to check that bait shop out, would much rather use fresh just didn't know of a place I could find any.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Ok. Now DO NOT give the exact location, but can you describe your location? Shoreline make-up, water depth, what the land under the water consist of, etc... Maybe we can help you to catch your own fresh bait. It seems odd that you don't see any herring. Although if it is a herring barren area, it may explain why you did so well.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM
First Mate

I will see what I can find out about whats underneath the water. Its east side of the river past Albany but before Troy. I can move down a few miles and catch Herring on a sabaki rig but worry about loosing the spot. Its a very small spot that others do know about but not many.

I do know its shallow but is close to the channel. A good long caste and you can get it out to where you are close to the edge. Boaters would pull up jig some herring about 100-200 yards up stream but further out.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 AM
First Mate

Have you tried scapping from shore there? Try throwing a stoolie around and see if you get any followers. If you do, you can catch them. You're close proximity to the channel helps your striper catching quest, that's for sure.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 AM
First Mate

never tried a stoolie, threw some spinners and sabaki's just to see if anything followed but didn't see a thing.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 AM
First Mate

Quote:
never tried a stoolie, threw some spinners and sabaki's just to see if anything followed but didn't see a thing.
A stoolie to them looks like a potential mate. If they're going to follow anything, it'll be that. If you had live herring you could hook it and let it swim by shore and see if any follow it as well...
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
A stoolie to them looks like a potential mate. If they're going to follow anything, it'll be that. If you had live herring you could hook it and let it swim by shore and see if any follow it as well...
Thanks I will give it a try this year ad see if I see anything follow. I don't always have time to go he day before and jig them at a different spot. Plus wife isn't a fan off putting them in the freezer.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Senior Member Elite

Have you ever tried the west side?? With that bike path the entire west side of the river is fishable from the corning preserve up to Menands.

That whole west shoreline is an awesome drift ..... i know if i was shore fishing i would check that area out .... and you should be able to get bait there too.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Thanks I will give it a try this year ad see if I see anything follow. I don't always have time to go he day before and jig them at a different spot. Plus wife isn't a fan off putting them in the freezer.

Try not to freeze them ..... worst case is fresh overnight on ice or in the frig but the frozen stuff just doesn't cut it.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:07 PM
First Mate

frozen would be just over night, could try the fridge I guess instead.

Haven't fished west side because its so crowded over there. I have a great spot and at least last year there were always fish there. Just couldn't get bait at the spot.

If things aren't the same this year I will try the west side I am sure i just hate fishing where its crowded and getting lines crossed up and stuff.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
frozen would be just over night, could try the fridge I guess instead.

Haven't fished west side because its so crowded over there. I have a great spot and at least last year there were always fish there. Just couldn't get bait at the spot.

If things aren't the same this year I will try the west side I am sure i just hate fishing where its crowded and getting lines crossed up and stuff.
no people ever fish where i am talking about ..... it's three miles or so from the corning preserve to menands ...... i've caught a lot of fish drifting along while people walked and biked on the path so keep it in mind if you are looking for another spot