Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyRes View Post
No one is any more entitled to that state launch ramp than anyone else. Just reporting the facts as I've heard them. But, the bottom line is the DOT owns the lot. DOT contracted the bridge work out to DA Collins. This is how they are handling it, and it was discussed well in advance (Fall) by concerned parties who are active down there all year.

While it's possible that on a handful of nice weather days in late April / early May it will be a tight squeeze for people to get boats in and out, the reality is it really is only a handful of heavy traffic days every year. The turn-around space is still perfectly adequate if people are considerate of each other and can handle driving their trailers well. I've had absolutely no problem turning a large trailer around in that space over the past two weeks.

Parking might be more of an issue - but if signs are posted indicating alternate launch sites (as a previous post indicated there would be), then hopefully that helps the situation. So far though, the lot has not been anywhere near capacity even with the reduced size.

As for the docks - I've never had any trouble. The few times I've tied off during times when the rowing club is active and had anyone approach me about it, they've been polite and simply asked me to please be quick or walk my boat to north end. But, I've seen others get hostile with them over it - and I hardly see how that's helping. Nothin' like angry men who have had a few too many beers yelling in front of middle school kids to make your presence welcome!

Two sides to every story. Lots of strong personalities on both. Gotta learn to live together.
Have to disagree on the attitude of the rowing club based on my observations.
Last summer the club had a meet at that location. They set up the scorers tables across the top of the launch. I was there to watch the competition, no boat, but I watched them turn away at least two boaters that wanted to launch. (that said parking was horrendous that day, worse than striper season)
And the one day I went out that launch last season, the club was having a practice session, I was told the club owns the launch while in line waiting to launch, and then again when I had the boat tied to the wall next to the launch. (tide was high, still a scary jump). Both times I told them no they don't and asked if they wanted me to call an encon officer to explain it.
That being said, All groups should be able to use the facility. I have a relative who rows with the club. A little courtesy on both sides would go a long way. Unfortunately, some with the club, or possibly parents, do not seem to understand the concept of a public resource. Add to that some of the obnoxious boaters out there it is definitely a mess.

BTW how does the club get to build a shed on a NYS owned parking lot. I'd like to build on a launch on Champlain so I don't have to trailer the boat.

Last edited by tree-on; 04-18-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
bigbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
I hate to give away my secrets but there is a launch in Troy. It has all the parking in the world. It puts you right at the base of the Dam. This launch is not for the faint of heart, 2 wheel drive, or someone anything short of an expert backing up a trailer. It kills me to reveal this secret because during the stripper season I can be in and out no problem with minimal waiting until some moron thinks he knows how to back a trailer up using his mirrors and ends up in the ditch that is on either side. I can't count how many trailers I've had to back down for others just so I can get my boat out after them. I am not kidding when I say its not for the faint of heart. If you cant thread a needle with your trailer in reverse using just your mirrors then go to HH. If your good with a trailer and need a hassle free launch then go to Ingals Ave in Troy. Its dirt and gets washed out regularly. But boy is it nice to have a little hidden gem people are scared to use. I laugh when I look at the corning mess during the heat of stripper season. Enjoy your waits and tempers. The good news is I haven't caught a striper yet that cared where I put my boat in.
be very careful of this launch, i have used this launch many times and one day when we came in to shore, my truck was vandalized with windows smashed, tires slit and taped all around truck with b a m f wrote on it, thats why i used corning launch. should of known with all the broken glass on ground. just wanted to warn u. be safe and good fishing.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj454 View Post
What i got yesterday is what i reported. Here is my question still. The rowers got kicked out of there spot. WHO SAID YOU CAN PUT YOUR BOATS THERE AND TAKE UP PUBLIC PARKING????? Who gave them permission to do that??? Heard of an interview with ch. 13 tonight.
If I were the contractor, I wouldn have ANYTHING parked under me work site, if 100lb hunks of concrete and rebar could fall accidently from my workers hands! The last thing I would do is fence in someone and their property and personal directly underneeth! So I too would like to see who signed their ass to the would be lawsuits for the injury or property damage from telling the club "yeah just stash all your stuff down there".

Ch 13 must have been the people I saw shooting an interview when I pulled down there. Ill be watching to see if I got on tv while snoopin around down there. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Striper Hunter

UPDATE: Yellow barriers are from OGS for over flow from Water Street State Employee parking, when they start the bridge work over there! So kiss those spots good by unless you have an NYS employee parking pass.

Also, I called NY Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and they said they dont run it and knew nothing about this issue. Said to contact city of albany.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Official Member

I was there today checking it out, and I found at least 10 cars parked where it clearly says,” No parking expt. Vehicles with trailer”. There was 2 Vehicles with trailer and two of these Skull trailers. All was not to be parked there expt the 2 Vehicles with trailer. So why isn’t an Albany police writing ticket?
Oh and those stupid barricades blocking the other side of the parking lot.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Striper Hunter

As i'm sitting here and thinking of this situation we have My vision of the corning preserve launch this year say's CLOSED FOR SEASON. All I can say is keep on it. Some of us have done our own hands on investigating and we got the media involved which is great. Keep the calls, e-mails, going. I do think they will need some type of city official directing traffic though. Im thinking of taking a ride to the launch just to watch the show when the run is heavy. Have to take the Harley seeing there's no place to park a truck.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Official Member

Launched at about 12:30 today, no issues, but seas were running 2 feet what with the south wind. So I was just about the only one stupid enough to go. There was a camera crew there, looked like they were interviewing the other idiot. Big camera, gotta be the media?
Two big scull trailers and a pick-up have been parked there for more than a week, taking up space. Hey, scull trailer guys, you can park them at my house until June if you want, free. Its only 12 miles. Send me an email I can hook you up.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Official Member

Google Albany Rowing Club, they have a website. See what we are up against. Also a contact page. Don't tell them I told you.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger42 View Post
apparantly they dont know what they run:

Printer-friendly Subject Index
Home » Outdoor Activities » Boating » Boat Launch Sites » Boat Launch Sites for Albany County
Boat Launch Sites for Albany County

Note: Use the following definitions to help you determine if a particular site will accommodate your boat.
  • Hard surface or concrete ramp--site affords float-off and float-on launching for most trailered boats.
  • Beach launch--no float-off or float-on trailered boat capability. Sites will accommodate the approach to the water's edge of small and light trailered boats. Boat may then be pushed on or off trailer. Usually shallow areas.
  • Hand launch--no trailer capacity. Boats must be hand carried to the water.
  • Car top launch--For canoe/kayak launching. Limited parking available.

Accessibility: As listed in the chart below, the Bethlehem Boat Launch Site has been designed to be wheelchair accessible and has an accessible pit privy.
Full Listing of DEC's Accessible Recreation Destinations
Albany County, DEC Region 4 Water Town Location Type Parking Invasive Species Present* Comments Agency Hudson River Albany Corning Preserve, Colonie Street, off Rte. 787 Concrete 15 cars and trailers Eurasian Watermilfoil, Water Chestnut, Zebra Mussel, Quagga Mussel, Asian Clam

OPRHP Hudson River Bethlehem Henry Hudson Park. Located off Lyons Road Approx. 1/2 mile north of the Hamlet of Cedar Hill on NY Route 144. Concrete ramp 35 cars and trailers Eurasian Watermilfoil, Water Chestnut, Zebra Mussel, Quagga Mussel, Asian Clam
Accessible DEC Hudson River Coeymans Off Route 144 in Hamlet of Coeymans Concrete ramp 40 cars and trailers Eurasian Watermilfoil, Water Chestnut, Zebra Mussel, Quagga Mussel, Asian Clam

DEC Thompsons Lake Berne Located on NY Route 157, 1/4 mile north of its' junction with NY Route 157A. Beach launch 5 cars and trailers Eurasian Watermilfoil, Curly-leaf Pondweed
15 hp limit DEC
...click on the link to boat launch sites, then Albany County...tight lines.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Striper Hunter

Freddie did you notice what channel it was ??
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Tyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroon87 View Post
As strange as its gonna sound I was actually struck by a scull last year that even had a spotting boat. I was anchored with lines out and they struck my boat with three paddles. I flagged over the spotting boat and obviously vented my fustration. I took all his reg numbers as well and name and number and called the NYSP to advise them even though no damage was done. The officer that called me back stated this was not his first complaint of the year about sculls hitting anchored boats on the river. The trooper stated he was going to call and follow up with the rowing team and spotter. I have assisted solo rowers getting there boats in and out and they are usually very pleasant. The teams and chase boats have zero respect. Remember anchored boats not in the channel have the right of way. Hopefully we can all play nice this year. Tight lines
same thing happened to me a couple years ago,laughed my ass off when the skull got caught in our lines,poor girl screamed bloody murder when the 3 oz sinker and herring landed in her lap,all the while the spotter just watched it unfold.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Striper Hunter

Mayor Jennings on the radio ( Firdays- talk 1300--# 476-1300 )
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Striper Hunter

Just got done talking to the mayor and he said that DOT gave the row club permission to store the skulls there until bridge work is done. I guess DOT overrides the State and city goverments. The skulls are there till bridge work is done.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Official Member

AJ, didn't see any logo on the camera. Woman was talking to a guy launching his boat while camera man filmed. Big camera, definitely professional type. Did not see any media trucks/vehicles parked nearby.