Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making - Page 6 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivesons1 View Post
All the numbers we need are in prev posts. CALL ALL OF THEM...LETS MAKE SOME NOISE.MEDIA BLITZ..TELL ALL YOU CAN GET EVERYONE INVOLVED........

but what ever you do... dont take action on a cold rainy day to stand for your rights or it might cost OGS another $60K to repair the front lawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM
bigbucks

Anybody ever hurd of a truck and boat convoy, what a mess that would make. definitly would make alot of noise for our so called politicians to move there asses and do something for the people for once.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Striper Hunter

I would like to point out that it is not only the boater/fisherman that is affected here. The other recreational people that want to park down there. It would be a good idea to reach out to them for support with this and really kick it up. I called all the news stations. Said they would look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM
cat daddy

Don't forget about all those bikers walkers rollerbladers and runners.Thats going to be a big mess,it's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Tyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyRes View Post
This is pretty much the report I've been given:

There were three options.

1) Not put up the temporary fencing at all. This would have shut down the rowing club's programming for the spring, which serves over 100 people on a daily basis (it's fairly reasonable to assume that they also pay taxes ). However, this option would have left the full lot available for fishermen.

2) Shut down the parking lot entirely. Fishermen are blocked out completely; rowing club operations are severely crippled or stopped completely.

3) The option they picked. The rowing club gets temporary space to continue their operations, and the rest of the lot is left open for fishermen. This option is not ideal for either party, but it's a lot more fair than the first two options.

Again, I don't know what the story is behind those barricades in the south* end of the lot. Hopefully they disappear ASAP and there is some sort of arrangement made to reserve that space for trailers.
last time I checked,the sculls don't have those letters and numbers on the hull ,you know the ones that mean they are registered,and where does that money go,maybe to maintain and improve PUBLIC launches. so why are the ones(boaters) who pay in one way or another being pushed away by the people who don't pay. I agree that we all need to work together but let's be fair. fisherman bring alot of business to the area,food,gas,bait etc.,what do the rowers bring? headaches! lol
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Striper Hunter

just talked to OGS and was told she will get back to me after she finds out more info. Im to the point now that row club should MOVE there fences. MOVE YOUR FENCE.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkster View Post
I agree that we all need to work together but let's be fair. fisherman bring alot of business to the area,food,gas,bait etc.,what do the rowers bring? headaches! lol
the rowing program does a lot of good for many area children and there are actually a fair number of adults involved too so to say they bring nothing but headaches is ridiculous ..... the people involved in that sport are just as passionate about rowing as the fisherman are about fishing

there is construction going on and that is going to impact the area no matter what anyone wants

sounds to me like there was an attempt made to keep everyone happy ..... and maybe that needs to be tweaked or adjusted with input from both sides .... and maybe something could be done to make it acceptable for both sides

i can't really imagine the national media is too interested
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Striper Hunter

Sure they provide activates no doubt, but the boaters provide INCOME for the state and local businesses. And it clearly WASNT an attempt at equality, or we would have fenced off spots for truck/trailers, spots for drive up car parking, etc.

But what you are forgetting are the simple facts we see...

Somehow they got all their shit, neatly packed in and protected by the fences directly UNDER the construction work about to go on. That tells me they have an "IN".

If that wasn’t the case, and everyone; rowers, boaters, walkers, bike riders, and everyone else using the facility would have been given an equal opportunity to fit into the construction there... NOT HAND A MASTERLOCK KEY TO THE CLUB ONLY.

Think about this logically. The rowing club didnt just toss their shit in the fences un-announced... so they were brought into meetings about these events, they had to have been. Where was our meeting? Where was our chance to speak up and share ideas? I didnt see any flyers, any announcements, no heads up given to bait shops, marinas. No announcements in the newspapers. Instead it was yet another closed door cool kid meeting for their initiatives, screw everyone else.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Striper Hunter

Well I see no other option than to park all our trucks and boats around the fenced in area. Well make our own fence. They cant tow 20 trucks with boats. That should get the state and media's attention. Were just looking out for the rowers. No one can get a skull in or out with a fence of trucks and boats. Thats a way better theft deterrent than their chain link fence they have put up. When the state or contractor finally decides to start work we can kindly tell them that we have our vehicles there as a theft deterrent and until we have a reasonable place to park or a plan that will keep both fisherman/ boaters and rowers happy the trucks and boats have to stay. Its the only place they left for us to park.

Come on guys I wasn't even around in the 60's i know how to get stuff resolved.

I have a truck and 19 ft boat that can become fence for a while. It would be nice having it all waiting for me at the launch. Just have to take the car to the launch. Talk about gas savings!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
Well I see no other option than to park all our trucks and boats around the fenced in area. Well make our own fence. They cant tow 20 trucks with boats. That should get the state and media's attention. Were just looking out for the rowers. No one can get a skull in or out with a fence of trucks and boats. Thats a way better theft deterrent than their chain link fence they have put up. When the state or contractor finally decides to start work we can kindly tell them that we have our vehicles there as a theft deterrent and until we have a reasonable place to park or a plan that will keep both fisherman/ boaters and rowers happy the trucks and boats have to stay. Its the only place they left for us to park.

Come on guys I wasn't even around in the 60's i know how to get stuff resolved.

I have a truck and 19 ft boat that can become fence for a while. It would be nice having it all waiting for me at the launch. Just have to take the car to the launch. Talk about gas savings!
100% IN FOR THIS. Hell I could probably get my buddy to bring his king cab duramax and 38' Cig to park! lol

If its legal parking, nothing wrong with doing this. I LOVE seeing action like this play out. Unfortunatly my father would never leave his boat and truck there so I cant play along myself. If i had my own it would be parked there already.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Striper Hunter

just got back from a lil recon mission down there. Ill be back with a tape measure and some MS paint skills tomorrow then post back up, and forward to OGS, Jennings, and/or whoever would maybe make use of it.

Itís not so much of a "take over" as itís a gross misuse of space.

First and foremost, the fence line for the lane along the sidewalk leading to the launch is narrow. Its roughly 17 feet pacing it out curb to barrels they have along the fence... the fence protrudes a foot itself into the lane from the inside curbs around the bridge pylons, and the needless orange barrels are another 2 feet worth of lost space. Pulling a trailer and boat through, you would be hard pressed to fit another truck and trailer, past the other way... making it a one lane in one lane out launch with a start and finish line a few hundred feet away... also making the "waiting line" practically out the lot. If the fence was pushed to the bounds of the curb around the bridge pylons, with NO WORTHLESS BARRELS past that, the lane would be of original width.

Second. The "no parking except for vehicles and trailers" section at the end of the fence line is doable, fitting roughly 15 trucks/trailers at the section closest to the road, fitting the same amount in the section closes to the river is going to make it tight as hell to make a turn out of the spots without hitting the trailers in front, and even tigher to make the turn without clipping the truck next to you, AND the sorry sap that got the first inside spot closes to the curb/island to his left is running that curb over without a doubt with the trailer. That section is pull straight in only deal, unless you want to try to back it in while dozens of boats are waiting for the one in/out only issue stated above!

Third, "truck/trailer parking only" spots behind the fenced off area closest to the road could park some people, IF THEY MOVED THE TRUCKS AND SHIT PARKING HAP HAZARDLY THERE NOW, ILLEGALLY. Albany parking authority will be on speed dial if I see people parked car only in those spots, believe you me. Only problem there is getting into the spots... you have to back them in, jack knife, however you can into them going around the access road near the street, since the fence is blocking the pull through ability it once was.

Forth, the only places to park cars, are 90% blocked off entirely by the yellow jersey barriers, and the other small section next to that is State Employee parking only as far as I know.... so you have a dozen or so near the water. Wahhooo.

Lastly... and this is why I am coming back with a tape measure. The fenced off area is utilized piss poorly. If they spun the racks 90 deg, and packed them in properly, they could fit all the shit they have there now, and then some, in HALF the area they fenced off... AND make it easier to load/unload their boats from the racks too! This would free up about 40+ truck and trailer ONLY spots, for easy pull through parking/leaving too.

Over and OUT
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Official Member

Awesome job!! Hope something is done soon
Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Striper Hunter

you have to be kidding me. OK listen to this. i have been calling people since Friday the 12th. Iv'e called city hall the port authority,OGS, DOT,talked to mike kline the city lawyer, and have gotton NO ANSWERS as to what is going on down there or who is responsible for those fences.I have even reported to every news station with no responce. What does one have to do to get some answers??
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Striper Hunter

rip the fences down, pile them up with an "Opps sorry, if these are yours please call me" note on them?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Striper Hunter

OK people this is what I was just told by Mike and Evan who work for Albany Rowing Center the club that owns all those skulls down there. They showed me where they were stored and it was right behind the rowing shed. NYSDOT sold the bridge work contract to DA Collins who told the rowing center they had to move the boats. Mike told me they looked at many options to set the boats up by taking up the least amount of space and that is the way it is now. They were going to set them up facing east to west but some boats are to long and extend past the overlap of the bridge where debre will fall into the parking lot. DA Collins bought the fence for them to put up. Little strange there I thought. Also the Rowing Center has nothing to do with the yellow barricade's that have been set up. This is going to be like this until September when the bridge work is expected to be completed. If you have any more questions Mike has given his e mail. It is albanyrowingcenter.org. I still don't feel good about it.