Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyRes View Post
The temporary fencing put up was done so by DA Collins (the contractor) in collaboration with DOT, specifically for the purpose of storing the rowing boats while work is done on the south-bound side of 787. The previous fencing enclosure the rowers used is where the bridge work is being done, so this was the storage solution.

Given that the rowing club operates down there basically year round and serves over 100 kids and 30 adults per day, 6 days per week - and they are the full private owners of the only dock down there - I'd say this is fairly reasonable.
Really!!!!! Reasonable for the rowers....Not for the boaters or fishermen who use the same launch almost year round. I understand the club owns the dock, but that should not allow them to be able to dictate the whole area for parking and launching. Last year the same area(road above) was under construction,yet they only blocked off a few spots. We boater/fisheren understood this and worked with it.. Now this yr because they need to block off where the club operates, every one needs to bow down and allow them to dictate the area they want to use and block off..If i a not mistaken, The parking area and launch is state owned and operated with tax payer dollars??? I just think that the club did not take into consideration that there are others that use the area and are just as entitled to it as the club..If the dock is there sticking point then maybe there docks should be taken out and a public dock put in.. I see you just became a member. was that just to advocate for the club?You made such a point to say full private owners. Maybe we the peaple should organize and put it out there that the private dock should be removed? I believe it was the state who put all the steel in for the docks?? We are not sying that the rowers should not be down there or have there fair share of the area. But they need to allow the boaters/fishermen there fair share. Do I agree with you Albanyres.... No... Maybe the boaters should start asking for free storage for our boats and storage for our gear on the tax payers of the state??? The club is no more entitled to that area then any other boaters. You have definetly raised some questions in this community(striper fishermen) as to the going on's of corning launch site!!! Maybe more than they bargained for? Time will tell. To my fellow fishermen This should raise some concern for us..IDK what do you all think?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Official Member

I suspect Albanyres (Albany Resident?) is Mayor Jennings, or someone from his office. If so, he may want to send someone down there to direct traffic once the season starts in earnest, which will be soon. I can imagine a dozen boats lined up waiting to launch and a big truck/trailer that just launched a 25 footer jack-knifed at the top of the ramp trying to make the U-turn to exit.

A partial solution may be to allow vehicles exiting the ramp to go thru the gates in the fencing along the same route that was previously taken.

As far as the dock being privately owned, I don't need no stinking dock, just the launch.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivesons1 View Post
Really!!!!! Reasonable for the rowers....Not for the boaters or fishermen who use the same launch almost year round. I understand the club owns the dock, but that should not allow them to be able to dictate the whole area for parking and launching. Last year the same area(road above) was under construction,yet they only blocked off a few spots. We boater/fisheren understood this and worked with it.. Now this yr because they need to block off where the club operates, every one needs to bow down and allow them to dictate the area they want to use and block off..If i a not mistaken, The parking area and launch is state owned and operated with tax payer dollars??? I just think that the club did not take into consideration that there are others that use the area and are just as entitled to it as the club..If the dock is there sticking point then maybe there docks should be taken out and a public dock put in.. I see you just became a member. was that just to advocate for the club?You made such a point to say full private owners. Maybe we the peaple should organize and put it out there that the private dock should be removed? I believe it was the state who put all the steel in for the docks?? We are not sying that the rowers should not be down there or have there fair share of the area. But they need to allow the boaters/fishermen there fair share. Do I agree with you Albanyres.... No... Maybe the boaters should start asking for free storage for our boats and storage for our gear on the tax payers of the state??? The club is no more entitled to that area then any other boaters. You have definetly raised some questions in this community(striper fishermen) as to the going on's of corning launch site!!! Maybe more than they bargained for? Time will tell. To my fellow fishermen This should raise some concern for us..IDK what do you all think?
No one is any more entitled to that state launch ramp than anyone else. Just reporting the facts as I've heard them. But, the bottom line is the DOT owns the lot. DOT contracted the bridge work out to DA Collins. This is how they are handling it, and it was discussed well in advance (Fall) by concerned parties who are active down there all year.

While it's possible that on a handful of nice weather days in late April / early May it will be a tight squeeze for people to get boats in and out, the reality is it really is only a handful of heavy traffic days every year. The turn-around space is still perfectly adequate if people are considerate of each other and can handle driving their trailers well. I've had absolutely no problem turning a large trailer around in that space over the past two weeks.

Parking might be more of an issue - but if signs are posted indicating alternate launch sites (as a previous post indicated there would be), then hopefully that helps the situation. So far though, the lot has not been anywhere near capacity even with the reduced size.

As for the docks - I've never had any trouble. The few times I've tied off during times when the rowing club is active and had anyone approach me about it, they've been polite and simply asked me to please be quick or walk my boat to north end. But, I've seen others get hostile with them over it - and I hardly see how that's helping. Nothin' like angry men who have had a few too many beers yelling in front of middle school kids to make your presence welcome!

Two sides to every story. Lots of strong personalities on both. Gotta learn to live together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Striper Hunter

Ok. So what I gather from your replies are simply this: As the construction is laid out right now, the ability to put a boat in the water is fine. Hopefully everyone will share tea and crumpets while waiting in line then help people navigate around what’s left of the parking lot. That’s all well and good, but only half the process.

WHERE DO WE DITCH THE TRUCK/TRAILER?

Posting up “alternate launches” is NOT a solution what so ever. All it will do is send the now pissed off boaters/fishermen to another launch, over crowd that launch and probably cause shortened fused people to “not play nicely at the launch”. I mean look at the daily commute up the northway from Albany! Accident on the northway, people bail and head to rt 7 and clog the shit out of that road all pissed off. It will be exactly the same with the launches.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Striper Hunter

please point out in these pics, where we are expected to flow the traffic in the lot, and where we are suposed to park once launched?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fence.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	16421   Click image for larger version

Name:	fence 2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	16422  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Striper Hunter

I hate NY (state GOOBERment) and Gov Cuomo too.

I'll keep my guns, religion and freedom too, YOU keep the CHANGE, what if any is left!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Official Member

The city of Albany has plenty of political power to get things changed down there before the season opens. I'm sure the contractor donates to the party w

For saying that the launch will only be busy a couple of days a year is a complete joke. The reason for that is people don't want to deal with the constant BS that the city makes boaters go through. If you claim this is a DOT lot why last year were the trailer only parking signs put up by city workers?

This launch is a shame and the way the city is handling this problem is just a disgrace. Again the tax payers get the short end of the stick...... When the aqua ducks were in business they pushed there way in and when somebody complained they were told don't worry about it, again the owner politically connected.

That's my rant, I also contacted all the news outlets over this
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyStateWorker View Post
please point out in these pics, where we are expected to flow the traffic in the lot, and where we are suposed to park once launched?
No idea where the barricades came from or why - the construction work on the northbound side was done last year so it seems odd to block that off now. Certainly worth looking into.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Albany res you got to be politicly connected somehow. the point is they came in and took our right's away with no consideration to ALL the recreational people who use that launch and bike path ect.. Just an example of big bully pushing little guy around. Who gave them the right to take away all the spots from a TAX PAYING citizen.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj454 View Post
Albany res you got to be politicly connected somehow. the point is they came in and took our right's away with no consideration to ALL the recreational people who use that launch and bike path ect.. Just an example of big bully pushing little guy around. Who gave them the right to take away all the spots from a TAX PAYING citizen.
This is pretty much the report I've been given:

There were three options.

1) Not put up the temporary fencing at all. This would have shut down the rowing club's programming for the spring, which serves over 100 people on a daily basis (it's fairly reasonable to assume that they also pay taxes ). However, this option would have left the full lot available for fishermen.

2) Shut down the parking lot entirely. Fishermen are blocked out completely; rowing club operations are severely crippled or stopped completely.

3) The option they picked. The rowing club gets temporary space to continue their operations, and the rest of the lot is left open for fishermen. This option is not ideal for either party, but it's a lot more fair than the first two options.

Again, I don't know what the story is behind those barricades in the south* end of the lot. Hopefully they disappear ASAP and there is some sort of arrangement made to reserve that space for trailers.

Last edited by AlbanyRes; 04-16-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Striper Hunter

$50 says by week 2 of this season, someone puts a spray paint cap over the cameras down there, hooks up their truck to the barriers and "frees up some parking space".

I can tell you this... every action has a reaction. It won’t take long for people to use the same "I don’t care" attitude our politicians and state agency representatives prove they are making decisions by and use it against them. Every day more and more people I talk to, or even overhear in the halls here in the office, are sick and tired of mistreatment or being bullied around by money and connections by the people above. If Albany thinks the muddy lawn from the 2A rally was a mess, just keep pressing our buttons. Feel free to ask the highschool bully how his actions worked out in the long run, when he gets his ass kicked by the “freak” at school who had enough of being picked on and pushed around.

As much as I would love to see a peacefull agreement be reached here, knowing the "I am never wrong" attitude this state works and stands behind every work day... I doubt it will happen.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Official Member

You seem to have all the answers so the question when are those barricades going to be moved. Like always the boaters and fisherman also get pushed around so other can get what they want.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroon87 View Post
You seem to have all the answers so the question when are those barricades going to be moved. Like always the boaters and fisherman also get pushed around so other can get what they want.

This state is run by free for all decisions, act now deal with it later inatitives. Ahhhemmm Safe Act.

I would love to hear why the work wasnt completed last year when it was started.

Or why it wasnt done over the winter.

Or why it wasnt started WEEKS, or months ago when the weather began to break this spring. (if they couldnt work in the coooolllldddd)

Ohh, wait... its called stretching the initiative to make the project look bigger, more complex… so when its finally done you get 3 gold stars instead of 1.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyRes View Post
No one is any more entitled to that state launch ramp than anyone else. Just reporting the facts as I've heard them. But, the bottom line is the DOT owns the lot. DOT contracted the bridge work out to DA Collins. This is how they are handling it, and it was discussed well in advance (Fall) by concerned parties who are active down there all year.

While it's possible that on a handful of nice weather days in late April / early May it will be a tight squeeze for people to get boats in and out, the reality is it really is only a handful of heavy traffic days every year. The turn-around space is still perfectly adequate if people are considerate of each other and can handle driving their trailers well. I've had absolutely no problem turning a large trailer around in that space over the past two weeks.

Parking might be more of an issue - but if signs are posted indicating alternate launch sites (as a previous post indicated there would be), then hopefully that helps the situation. So far though, the lot has not been anywhere near capacity even with the reduced size.

As for the docks - I've never had any trouble. The few times I've tied off during times when the rowing club is active and had anyone approach me about it, they've been polite and simply asked me to please be quick or walk my boat to north end. But, I've seen others get hostile with them over it - and I hardly see how that's helping. Nothin' like angry men who have had a few too many beers yelling in front of middle school kids to make your presence welcome!

Two sides to every story. Lots of strong personalities on both. Gotta learn to live together.
OK DOT can not own the lot...NYS owns the lot..DOT runs the lot(NYSDOT) Tax payers pay taxes...taxes pay for this lot...ect.ect...
Albanyres you are obviously a part of the rowers club....For you to think you know any of the boaters/fisherman and to say that we are angry men who have had one to many beers is a down right low blow.....I could go into a whole thing about how scull crews and all who are assosiated with them creat more havock on the water ways and so but i will not stup to your level...I will just say this to my fellow boaters/fishermen/fisherwomen to who's numbers are in the thousands throughout the year..not 100 and who pay more into the state in fuel,sporting fee's, safty eqipment,gear ect, That no one ran an add or flyers or any type of media to get our input into how this would fair or how it would impact us.. I know of a few hundred kids(young fishermen/women) who are going to be affected by this move that the club and DOT designed for the bennifit of the rowers club..It is obserd that it was done behind closed doors without the input of the whole community, not just a few.. SPEAK UP NY BOATERS/FISHERMEN,WOMEN...CALL THE MEDIA,TWITTER,FACEBOOK IF THIS IMPACTED ALIVE AT 5 THIS MUCH IT WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN PLACE!!!!!! WE NEED TO GET ALL INVOLVED. AS IT IS WE ARE PAYING FOR THIS CLUB TO LEACH OF THE EVERY DAY TAX PAYERS..MY KIDS GET VERY LITTLE TO NONE EXISTANCE HELP FOR THERE ORGANIZATIONS ie: baseball.soccer ect.. The rowers should not either.. Albanyres if it's a battle your organizatios want's then you will get it.. TIGHT LINES and happy boating..We must organize..
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Striper Hunter

All the numbers we need are in prev posts. CALL ALL OF THEM...LETS MAKE SOME NOISE.MEDIA BLITZ..TELL ALL YOU CAN GET EVERYONE INVOLVED........