New to the Hudson - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Official Member

Default New to the Hudson

Hi everyone, new river fisherman here! Planning to give it my best shot this spring! Got the boat and gear just not the Striper experience. Been reading quite a bit here on the forum, very interesting and lots of knowledgeable fisherman! Regarding the herring, any advice on where, when and how to catch them?

Thanks-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Re: New to the Hudson

Welcome to Stripers247 Mike

Familiar with your screen name ... and Based on how well as you do with Lakers & Trout i'm sure you will do just fine.

BB
Old 03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Official Member

Hey Brian, good to see a familiar name! Hope you're well and good luck to you this season all around!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM
chuckrudy

welcome to the site. A great buch of knowledgeable people here. hope to see you on the river
Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Member Elite

Mike - drag your butt up to Albany / Troy and i will show you how to catch em ...... fishing for them is the same up and down the river but getting bait differs depending on where on the river you are fishing.

We get the herring so thick up my way that you can get em while anchored with no trouble at all.

I was in Florida and never signed in but great laker mount by the way ...... i was thinking about some sort of glass shelf above mine with a hole in it ..... then mount a little rod holder on the wall with a jigging rod in it... the line going down through the hole and to a lure in the mouth of the fish .... it would look like ti was under the ice
Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
First Mate

wait til you hook up with a good stripe on lead core mike!....youll never be the same

Theres a few of us here from IS and MFF and all more than glad to help out! Just let us know
Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Just wondering you guys are trolling lead core also? I know the rigger part, thought I would try lead but didn't figure anyone was doing it.

j
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj7leaf View Post
Just wondering you guys are trolling lead core also? I know the rigger part, thought I would try lead but didn't figure anyone was doing it.

j
Never had great luck north of catskill, we have trolled north successfully, but up there meat is king. Early in the run though we head south and trolling cant be beat. The fish are usually smaller but the numbers are always greater. We run either leadcore or downriggers depending on who i hve on the boat and will also run boards when the debris allows it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Just remember if youre like me and have the habit of wrapping your lead around your trigger finger while yankin DONT do it on the hudson! Those big stripers hit quite a bit harder than those lakers .
Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Official Member

Look at all my buddys on here... I hope this will be my first spring on the Hudson also Mike... I have to get Ship to show me the ropes if everything works out....
Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Official Member

I'm here too, under yet another name . I plan on getting the trolling boat on the Hudson and try dragging some herring around on the riggers. Might take me a while to figure it out (speed, depth, rigging herring) but I'll probably be looking for company. Talked to the guys at work and we will likely change Wednesday night poker into striper fishing.

Steve K.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Captain Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Mike - drag your butt up to Albany / Troy and i will show you how to catch em ...... fishing for them is the same up and down the river but getting bait differs depending on where on the river you are fishing.

We get the herring so thick up my way that you can get em while anchored with no trouble at all.

I was in Florida and never signed in but great laker mount by the way ...... i was thinking about some sort of glass shelf above mine with a hole in it ..... then mount a little rod holder on the wall with a jigging rod in it... the line going down through the hole and to a lure in the mouth of the fish .... it would look like ti was under the ice
Mike don't go with this guy he catches all the fish and u sit watching HIM!!!! Only Kidding SHIP is the BEST!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Captain Booty

Mike Where u fishing out of!!! I might be able to help u out!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Jager61,
If you're still interested in catching herring via hook and line (from a previous post):

Yes, you can catch them on hook and line with sabiki rigs. Use a light weight spinning rod, clip a 1/2 oz. sinker on the bottom of the sabiki rig, pitch it out into the mighty Hudson and jig it back in, or simply reel it back. They hit the hooks (no snagging necessary)...some fight kinda good! I got my sabikis on ebay but I believe the tackle shops carry them. I didn't know that herring were carnivorous...at least they eat these hooks!
Best Wishes,
jt

Some have said that this technique will not work too far below Albany, due to water clarity, or lack thereof. I believe that they go for netting herring.
Cheers man!
jt
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Striper Hunter

I'm in the beacon area and if you want to catch herrin, I see a lot of people using a spoon and net. I've never done this but looks easy. Cast out the spoon with light spinning tackle (no hook on the spoon, you don't need it) use the slowest retrieve you can, then watch (helps if you have polarized glasses ) for them to follow and lead them into your net. Repeat as necessary. Two people make this technique easier. Good luck