Heading to Stellwagen Bank - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Heading to Stellwagen Bank

So I just got a new boat and I am heading out of Hingham to Stellwagen Early Sunday morning. I was wondering what I should expect as this is my 1st trip. What fish are in season? Cod? Haddock? I know tuna are and we will be fishing for Tuna as I just picked up the permit for the boat, and a lot of tuna gear came with the boat. I know there will be plenty of stripers and bluefish as well!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have had zero luck in Boston harbor and am heading out on a fishing charter in a few weeks to learn some things...Stellwagen here I come!! 24 Miles round trip!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Catch&Releaser

Default Re: Heading to Stellwagen Bank

tuna are in your right on that, but the stripers out there are where its at. throw a jig under the boat in around 80 ft of water right over the ledge in one of the corners where a ton of boats are and you will not be skunked. the stripers are plenteful and large out there. but its a reservation so you need to throw back all of your stripers
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Striper Hunter

Any suggestion on what part of Stellwagen we should head to? I was planning on going to the southern/middle part of Stellwagen Bank!! I was actually going to follow where the boat has gone before me and following the gps lines. But a lot of things I read say to go to the north west part of stellwagen!! Does it matter what part we go to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

If you are after the tuna, you may have to 'run and gun'. this means nailing it to where you see them, casting or trolling through. spot them again, then gun it some more, cast, repeat. They move so fast it's impossible to give an exact location. You can be told which 3 square miles of water they are in right now, and it will be different in ten minutes. It's kind of a crap shoot at least in my mind. You'll them jumping. My 2c.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Official Member

Remember , when you release the stripers keep them in the water when you unhook them and make sure you revive them before you let them go.
I usually put the boat in gear at idle speed , hold them by the lip in the water . When they are ready they will take off .
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 AM
swabbie

I'm sure there's cod and haddock out there too. You can watch your fish finder to see if you mark anything off the bottom and then drop jigs and clams to see if you can pull anything up.

Pick up some live macs on your way out of the harbor and try trollling them for tuna, live lining them for bass, or chunking them fresh for cod.

Have fun on your new boat out there! I wish my boat was big enough to head out there far :) I'll probably be out in the habor fishing with live macs Sunday. Let us know how you did!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Catch&Releaser

i usually try the southwest corner, havnt got tuna this year there but unbeiliveable amount and size on the stripers there. Hang out near the ledge, within 300 yrds of it
Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Catch&Releaser

did u have any luck

Last edited by Mmh624; 07-17-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: it wasnt me
Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Leaving tomorrow morning being Sunday at 430am!!! I will post some pics if we have any luck!!! Again thx guys for all of your advice!!