Boat cleaning - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Official Member

Default Boat cleaning

First year with a boat. Ive washed her down everytime ive had her out. Looking for some cleaning advise to really give it a good scrub down. What do you use on your deck? Bleach mixture? Pinesol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Default Re: Boat cleaning

Dawn(blue) dishwashing detergent is what i used on deck. ZEP makes a cleaner/degreaser that is great for tough stains but it will remove wax. I used it on seats and coolers, and the bilge!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Official Member

Squid ink and dried bunker guts are the worst. I hit with a couple different product. I scrub the deck with a good boat soap and then bring out the big guns. Take AJAX w/bleach dump it on a damp deck, pour a little bit of bleach down to get a paste working and then a wet deck brush and start scrubbing. I have an 18ft so I have no problem scrubbing the deck with my hands. She will be white and ready in no time

JD
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Soft Scrub w/bleach it's not abrasive & works great with a wet long handle brush.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Do not use Ajax or anything abrasive on a new boat. The layer of wax repels and protects against saltwater and stains. Once that's gone everything will be absorbed and you'll scrubb forever. Work smart not hard. Less time cleaning more time fishing. If you have some tough spots dillute the ZEP degreaser with 50% water, spray on the spot, agitate with your fingers (little circles) until you get a little foam, let sit for 3-5 minutes and rinse off. Do not let the ZEP dry up!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Official Member

On off is great also.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Official Member

I agree abrasives like ajax, comet, and even soft scub will get your boat clean but the first time you step into it, the dirt sticks in all the tiny scratches you just made with the abrasive cleanners. The boat will be filthy again in no time. Usually about ten minutes after you boat the first blue fish.

I bought a 1998 WA that was in good shape but really needed a good cleaning. The boat was covered with stuborn fish gut stains. Tried just about everything you could think of to get it clean. Tried all the abrassive stuff that got it clean but I found myself scrubbing the deck more times than I would like to remember. Finally I decided to try something different.

First, I scrubbed the boat with some good boat soap and power washed as much dirt off as possible. then I used heavy duty compounds made by 3M. I started with their super duty compound and then use a finishing compound called Finesse-It II, also made by 3M. You can compound the deck by hand or buy a buffing machine that has a variable speed control. I used the machine just because of the condition of my deck. Make sure you get the right pads for compound cleanners. Slow speeds work the best, otherwise you will be slinging compound all over your boat. Also make sure you do small areas at a time. After cleanning off the compound, I applied three coats of 3M paste wax. The deck looks brand new and stayed clean a lot longer. Believe me I learned the hard way and there is no substitute for wax. Most dirt and some stains will not stick to the wax making cleanning between outtings a lot easier.

The challege is always going to be how to keep it clean.

Bottom line - clean it good once and wax the hell out of it. This will help it stay clean a lot longer. After each outing try to use cleanners that will not remove the wax and that are not abrasive. Places like West Marine and others sell a number of cleanner/wax products that will help you maintain the deck once you have a few coats of wax down. For me, this method seems to work the best and will keep your deck as clean as possible for as long as possible.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Official Member

Can't beat Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for some of the smaller areas.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Striper Hunter

I found a great product called Barkeepers Friend.. Works great all over the boat. I wet the deck then sprinkle some of this on it.. and scrub it lightly.. and rinse with plenty of water. Works on all marine metal as well, make a paste and apply it with a rag, oxidation and rust stains disappear. it can leave a chalky residue if you cheap out on the water rinse though. It is a powder, but not really an abrasive like Ajax or Comet.. It's now available in a liquid squeeze bottle..

On things like outriggers and aluminum tubing (like T-Tops and Towers, rocket launchers, etc...), and anything anodized but now dull.. Use AlumaGlow.. it is expensive.. It is a clear coat that is durable and makes the anodized aluminum look new again.. and it lasts..

Otherwise.. I use a good car wash soap on everything else but the bilge, I use simple green in there..

3M Polishing compound by machine on the hullsides once a year, followed by a good quality Carnuba paste wax..

On any clear plastics, I use Plexus Plastic Cleaner.. it's a spray on polish that leaves a static free protector behind after you buff it.. works great.

Sikkens Cetol on the teak. No need to prep between seasonal applications, providing it is in good shape.

MaryKate On&Off on anything below or at the waterline.. It's an acid.. be careful..
Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Official Member

DONOT use abrasive's try a de-greaser, try using soft cleaners rather than hard. or better yet hire a boat detailing expert and relax :)

Last edited by JakeF; 07-14-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Removed link - Links allowed after 8th post, per forum rules. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I dont always clean my boat... but when i do.. I choose simple Green...Keep the flies away my friends..