blues cutting through the line!!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Default blues cutting through the line!!!!

First thanks for all your help guys it been great. Iwent fishing had two nice size bass and three bluefish my problem is im using bunker chunks and the blues are biting through the line.will the steel leaders scare off the bass??what should i use for both???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Default Re: blues cutting through the line!!!!

If the water is dirty you can get away with a short length of steel leader
I try to avoid it as much as possible though and generally use 50# to 80# mono leader when the choppers are about.
If the water is crystal clear I'll go to the more expensive fluorocarbon.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

unfortunately this season you won't escape the wrath of the yellow eyed devil... that water won't cool off enough for them to book out deep so for the next few weeks you will likely encounter them. they make a brown colored wire which is the better alternative to coated wire. either that or the American Fishing Wire co. makes a red steel leader. other than using wire expect SOME rigs to be stolen. fyi.... if you are using bank sinkers "or any sinker for that matter" and it is brand new.... chances are the choppers will go after the sinker as it's shiny and all your business end will evaporate in one fell swoop.. take paint or marker to it to dullen it first. when using fluoro/mono, circle hooks can give you an edge against the bluefish as long as you are on top of the hit and don't let em inhale your leader too much. but even that is ultimately gonna get taken off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
"or any sinker for that matter" and it is brand new.... chances are the choppers will go after the sinker as it's shiny and all your business end will evaporate in one fell swoop..

Yup. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Had a nice, freshly poured trolling sinker. Got a nice hit, fought for a few seconds, and then gone. Line cut right above my sinker.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Veteran Elite

Use the bunker head and the blues won't bother you. Neither will the smaller bass. Problem solved
Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 AM

The blues can get so thick you can net them off the harbor dock.
Nothing escapes them. Move - to the edges.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
Use the bunker head and the blues won't bother you. Neither will the smaller bass. Problem solved
no self respecting devil will turn it's nose up at a bunker head.. up there, they can be outnumbered but down here? every head will get inhaled if they are in thick. i fished a dozen heads and got 11 bluefish and only one bass one night. it was disturbing and once you have bunker in the water and they show up it's time to plug. stop using bait for an hour or so and switch to a plug. (that is, if you are alone and not around others baitfishing) after a while the bluefish will move off and you can go back to fishing the head. makes no sense to fish bait when those bastages move in.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Veteran Elite

Well that really sucks. It's rare to get a blue on a head up here.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM

I don't believe I've ever caught a bluefish on a sandworm.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Official Member

Last night I was drifting the shore lines and throwing a 2 oz. bucktail. I jig for half the cast and reel in fast to cast closer to the shore and WHAM! a big blue slammed it! I was using light jigging gear and was a nice fight but when I finally landed him I realized it was by a last thread of my leader which woulda snapped if any longer.

I HATE LOSING MY SPRO'S!!

But I got lucky this time. hehe
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
First Mate

If you are fishing at night time dont worry about the steel leaders because we fish with them at night to deter the teeth of the blues and we still catch plenty of bass as well as blues. However if it is daytime i would recommend using heavy mono of flourocarbon line as a leader.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Yes, choppers can be a problem. They even hit swivels and I've had them go after the knot between the mono leader and the braided line. And when you have one hooked and the plug or bait is hanging out of their mouth, the others will try to come and get a piece of the action, sometimes biting your line off.

Buy the American Fishing Wire braided steel leader with the clear coating (they call it the color "bright"- I have no idea why). Then you can use a red marker to color it and red becomes much less visible as the water gets deeper. Use a short piece of it. I like to buy the 300 foot roll, its cheaper per foot that way. It can also be tied to your mono leader with a uni-knot to uni-knot connection if you want, and also tied to your hook instead of using a crimp, using a clinch knot (one wind). You have to tighten the knots slowly to get a good result, and only one wind with the steel leader, no more. Look on Google for a uni-knot tutorial.

You will have to occasionally re-apply the red with the marker. I keep a collection of sharpie permanent markers in different colors on the boat.

Of course, it doesn't stop the blues from hitting the line above any amount of leader you put on. You just have to accept that a certain amount of tackle will be lost no matter what you do.

Right on about the sinker. If it's shiny and you move your bait around the blues will hit it, and maybe cut your line.

When you know you've hooked a Bluefish, it's a good idea to get the fish moving and pull him away from the pack so the other members of the school can't cut your line.