discouraged in RI - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Official Member

Default discouraged in RI

hello everyone! i am new to the sport of saltwater fishing and was hoping to get some advice on surfcasting in rhode island.i recently got interested in this sportand have been going out once a week in search of the elusive striper.i have read many books and many posts on how to land stripers but i am still having no luck,despite all of my unfruitful attempts i still love going out there it is very relaxing.i have tried many spots ranging from beavertail,blackrocks,point judith light+watch hill,,and still have no luck.i always go out at night+try to get 2 hours on both ends of a tide ,preferably high tide.i have used everything from eels to clams+ recently gotten a couple of bites on plugs but still no fish lol. do i suck at this or is this normal?im not sure how to read where the fish MIGHT be,i have been trying to go somewhere where the wind has been blowing in that direction hoping the baitfish would follow. i guess what im asking all you oldtimers is if you could take a guestimate to where the fish might be how would you do so?would it depend on the wind ,current?are they at certain places at certain times?i know theres no guarantees but i figured that i might as well ask.any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: discouraged in RI

welllll im no genius or anything but striper fishing in rhode island is pretty much non existant now. u missed the fall run by at least a couple weeks. Try fishing in rhode island again in late may of next year.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Veteran Elite

The fall run never really happened. But there are still some fish in RI. Fish as much as you can and use plugs and eels at night. You still have some time but a skunking is not uncommon right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Don't get dis-couraged. I just started striper fishing this year and I am 49. I am fishing mostly from rocks and reefs. This sport can be humbling. And there is no substitute for getting out there. I have also read lots of books and websites but until you experience those things 1st hand then it really does not sink in until then.

Some minor tips I can share although most will know a lot more than me.

Structure. Stripers love structure. Whether it be rocks and reefs in the water or holes they can hide in. Because it helps them to be able to ambush their prey

Whitewash. Look for those waves crashing in and fish behind them. Stripers love prey getting crashed on the rocks and rolling in the whitewash where they can be had easily without being seen

Eels. They are like candy for the stripers

Wind. Yes wind is important but can be different from one spot to the next. I personally like wind coming at me at an angle

Tide. Again very important but high tide is good in some areas and low tide is better in some. It just takes learning an area

Persistence. Very important. Some people will say if a spot is not working to move on. Sometimes this works. Sometimes not. I tend to be more stubborn and will fish an area for 6 - 8 hours even if I am not catching anything because I believe in my instincts. Many times my technique has let me down but just this past Sunday I caught a 36 incher after fishing an area with no results for 5 hours. Boy it felt sweet hooking into that baby. Also, by fishing one area for so long I get a sense for what is working or not as far as tides and wind direction

Try using googleearth.com and look at areas that may offer you structure and opportunity. Then look at the tide charts and weather charts for that area and see what looks good to you. Then fish the heck out of it. Scope out areas during daylight hours as many areas have restricted or no access and you don't want to walk back to your vehicle and have it be gone

Don't get dis-couraged. It takes time to learn and you have plenty of time young man.

Good luck
Old 11-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Cow Catcher

Know why your discouraged...because THERE'S NO FISH IN RI
Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Don't be discouraged my friend. You like all of us, just have to put your time in.
And the fish are where ya get 'em! Try the end of a Breachway, on an outgoing. If there are bass around, you'll surely get 'em there.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmckee33 View Post
hello everyone! i am new to the sport of saltwater fishing and was hoping to get some advice on surfcasting in rhode island.i recently got interested in this sportand have been going out once a week in search of the elusive striper.i have read many books and many posts on how to land stripers but i am still having no luck,despite all of my unfruitful attempts i still love going out there it is very relaxing.i have tried many spots ranging from beavertail,blackrocks,point judith light+watch hill,,and still have no luck.i always go out at night+try to get 2 hours on both ends of a tide ,preferably high tide.i have used everything from eels to clams+ recently gotten a couple of bites on plugs but still no fish lol. do i suck at this or is this normal?im not sure how to read where the fish MIGHT be,i have been trying to go somewhere where the wind has been blowing in that direction hoping the baitfish would follow. i guess what im asking all you oldtimers is if you could take a guestimate to where the fish might be how would you do so?would it depend on the wind ,current?are they at certain places at certain times?i know theres no guarantees but i figured that i might as well ask.any info would be greatly appreciated!!
First things first....
For some of those areas,,,, wrong tide.

Next, there are always fish somewhere. Yes, even in February.
... and if enticed, they will bite.

The game is putting the pieces together. That's the fun.
If you don't know what pieces to put together,,, there is a wealth if info here on 247 in the search and archives.
I'd tell you where and what time along with which bait.....
But that would take all the fun out of it and I'd hate to ruin your day.

There is a reason they call it fishing... and not catching.

PS;
One last thing. Once you get it all figured out,,, you'll understand that there is only one true rule to fishing.
That rule is simply,,,, Fish are where you find them. (Simple, but true. fish don't read no stinking books.)
Old 11-14-2009, 07:04 PM

I moved up here a few years ago and became completely frustrated fishing for striped bass. I experienced the same things you describe...what changed things for me? I got a kayak! There are so many areas to fish in RI with a kayak and your success rate will be MUCH higher! It worked for me...