Fishing Report-Special 40th Birthday Trip (w/pics) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Fishing Report-Special 40th Birthday Trip (w/pics)

443-690-3164 Boat
Email

Tom Hughes Guide Service
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Trips Year Around
ORVIS Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide
410-744-2351 Office
Email

Special 40th Birthday
Alicia Rygiel contacted me in order to get a gift slip for her husband, titled 'Happy 40th Birthday Alex'. One week prior to the trip I received a call from Alex Rygiel and we talked about his upcoming trip with excitement. Alex and Stewart Raunch were to use fly rods while Jae (pronounced Jay) Cho was to use light spinning tackle. We launched at Sandy Point State Park and headed south. Once there I located fish stacked on the 14' ledge as it dropped off to 28'. Jae was catching some nice stripers with a gold 2 ounce jigging spoon with an epoxy fly ties 18" up the line. He caught most of his fish on the epoxy fly with a #2 stainless steel hook. Alex and Stewart were using sinking fly line with 3" clouser flies and they were also catching some bluefish and stripers. The bite stopped after 50 minutes so we headed for the eastern shore.
Alex Showing His 1st Bluefish Caught 'on the fly'

Stewart Landed His 1st Striper Ever 'on the fly'

These are the Birds You See to the Right of Stewart

Jae Never Fly Fished Before this Trip - After He Started You Couldn't Get the Long Pole Out of his Hands

The Crew - Jae Cho, Al Rygiel (Happy 40th buddy), and Stewart Raunch - Bloody Pt. Lighthouse in the Background
We covered a total of 44 miles, running the current. This was a very productive trip.

Equipment Used
Fly Fishing (Orvis)Rod - 9 weight Helios
Reel - Battenkill Large Arbor, V
Fly Line - Sinking, Generation 3, Density Compensated, Class V Sink Rate
Leader - Mirage 20# Fluorocarbon (sinking line) Mirage, All Purpose Big Game, 4' in Length

Light Spinning Tackle
Rod - 6', 1 piece, MH, Fast Trip
Reel - 2500 Series, Daiwa
Line - 30# Test PowerPro Braid with a 6' Quality Fluorocarbon 30# Leader

Most Productive Fly
3" Sinking Clouser, Chartreuse & White

Most Productive Lure
Floating Single Hook, #2, Epoxy Fly - rigged 18" behind a popping plug with no hooks on the popping plug
Fishing Tip: As the water cools, the baitfish will start moving into the tributaries followed by some nice stripers and bluefish. This should open up some productive locations for the anglers who fish in the rivers.

Receive Detailed Fishing Reports & Other Catching Information via Email
443-690-3164 Boat
Email

Home
410-744-2351 Office
Email
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Fishing Report-Special 40th Birthday Trip (w/pics)

Great stuff and belated Happy Birthday!! I have used light spinning gear for Striper's below Pickwick Dam here in TN. A M/L action rod...Sahara reel spooled with 200 yards of XPS 6# Fluorocarbon. It is a lot of fun but where I fish far too many big boys hit. The only saving grace is the 200 yards of line. Since Stripers...in freshwater anyway...seem to school in sizes I wait and see what seems to be running that day before using my light gear. Yesterday you could see nothing but hogs and I caught two in the 14 pound range and there was no way I could have landed those fish from the bank in that current with my light rig. Had I been in a boat that would be something totally different. I have to admit I prefer the smaller fish using light tackle though...it is a lot of fun.

Regards
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Fishing Report-Special 40th Birthday Trip (w/pics)

Alphahawk:

Thanks for the reply.

My equipment is spooled with 30# test PowerPro non-stretch fiber line with a 6’ 30# test leader attached.

It is very important not to overplay the fish, as you know, when practicing catch and release.

One client hooked a 47# striper, in the Susquehanna River, while we were anchored. It was caught then released. If you want to fish from the shore, just increase the rating on your line.