How to buy a boat. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:53 AM
First Mate

Default How to buy a boat.

On another board, I had a guy post a question about what bass boat would you buy. Everyone over there had fun with it, including me. Here was my response. I believe it relates to all boat buys.

Earl,
And when you ask an open ended question like what Bass Boat would you buy, that just brings out the best in everyone!!!!!! And for the most part, the boat they have right now is the best boat, unless it's broke and they are looking for new one?

You really can't shop for a major purchase like this boat and use input like this. You would end up with a dozen boats and wish you had a dozen more. Or you get one like this "I am a proud owner of a basscat!! go with a basscat" Hummm? I'm just gonna run out and get me one of those!!!!

My suggestion for your shopping:
1. Start off with, "All of these boats SUCK!". None of these bozo's build a rig I can jump rock piles, bounce off stumps, take 12 foot swells, and still drink my coffee while I run at 90 MPH. Now lets go from there.
2. Which of these crappy/overpriced rigs fit what I am going to use it for?
Casual fishing?
Tourney fishing?
Penis extension rig? (biggest/fastest, stop here and buy a Bullet or Allison)
Family and other?
3. Needs to handle rough water. OK, your skipping a flat rock over waves. They all suck at that. Some less than others.They all get you wet. (If anyone says they don't, they lie.) Which one appears to have held together after a couple years of pounding? Look at the splash well sides and where the transom meets the sides. Check for cracks on some of the rigs at the boat landings. Most everyone will let you look through the boat and tell you how good it is. (Don't point out the cracks. they don't like that.)
4. Get some rides. Most everyone will give you a ride! Just don't ask to drive.
5. Don't buy a rig just because everyone else has one. This is a cattle trail thing. BASS switches sponsors and you see everyone dumping Rangers for Tritons, etc.... Moooooooo, don't follow the herd!!!!!! It leads to the slaughter house.....
6. Fiberglass or Aluminum construction? I have a 19' Xpress w/200, aluminum hull, and it sucks just as much as the rest of them. And comes with a lifetime hull warranty?
7. Horsepower? The bigger pig you get, the more HP to push it and stay up with your friends.
8. The trailer brakes are a good idea. I have them and they also suck. The tandem trailer sucks even more. Now you have 5 more tires to take care of and can't move it by hand.
9. Get HYD steering! No cables. That way when it's broke, it's really broke! No if's.
10. Get the jack plate. Even if the "lot leach" at the dealership says you don't need it. He lies. That's his job. Know what you want before you go there.
11. Unless they are Woo Daves, people with sponsorship crap on their shirt got a couple bags of lizards for sewing it on (or maybe nothing?). Remember that when you talk to them. Bag of lizards??/ Opinion on bass boat=??? Be scared, very scared.....

If your going to keep this rig awhile, then look at the warranty.
Enjoy your search.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Veteran

You know what boat stands for.
Break
Out
Another
Thousand :?: :?: :roll: :shock:
Old 03-13-2005, 11:16 AM
First Mate

This is boat #12.
I don't even stop to look unless it's 40K....
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Well you say you have had 12 boats. I have had 6 or 7 myself. You know one boat does'nt do it all . I still have 3 boats. I have had big,med.and small. I think if you had one boat, myself I would stay with a 20 or 23 ft. C. C. I like the open boat because they are easy to fish from. You can cast any direction. And you want a outboard.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:11 PM

i got 0 boats :roll: , but am probley buying a jon boat this year and am gonna put a little trolling motor on it
Old 03-13-2005, 10:20 PM

someone in On the Water was offering a 10 year boat warranty and 7 year motor warranty, trade it in at 6-1/2 years
Old 03-14-2005, 05:40 PM

Got only one...but I love it to death...

I'm so excited for this year!!!!....Hopin' to get out at least 3 times a week during the summer...Never have I been out that much, CANT WAIT!!!

...Quality time with the buds is what its all about...
Old 03-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Veteran

Hey B.B. do you have Seatow. Its nice to have if your going to be out there. Short money. If you get in on a group its a little cheeper.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:33 PM

I dont...should I???

...Hows it work?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 PM

I have plenty of experience with sea tow, they are great to deal with. Its just like AAA for the watah. If your boat breaks down, they tow ya in, or if you need gas they bring it out to ya. This year i'm switchin to Boat U.S., just because they are closer to me. Sea Tow had the local Boat U.S. guy bring me in last year, because he is much closer, and I found out he is cheaper.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:45 PM

bow to tha holy Sea Tow, otherwise we might still be in tha rivah
Old 03-17-2005, 10:28 PM

Yeah man, I got a boat. 10' mirrorcraft, aluminum, with a 1975 Johnson 8hp engine that works 1/3 of the time, I challenge you all to a race!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Veteran

You can use a paddle the rest of the time. thats what the Riddler uses.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Kev lets put that puppy against my 140 horses of Four Stroke Muscle... :D :D ...JK...

All hail Four Strokes <Bowing motion>... :D
Old 03-18-2005, 10:11 PM

With the price of gas these days you hafta have a four stroke or a deisel. :cry: