New aquarium (new vids added 11/26) - Page 7 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Let's try to round mine out....

$350 - 38 gallon tank, stand, and full lid/light fixture
$40 - 20 bux each for better light bulbs, 1 10,000k daylight bulb and 1 320nm Actinic blue bulb

$50 - Air pumps, hoses, air stones and valves

$200/$250 - About 60 pounds of live rock (shipped FedEx)
$50 - 30 pounds of Aragamax sand plus 20 pounds of Arag-Live (live sand) to seed it with

$100 - 1 Yellow Polyp stony rock, 2 different mushroom rocks, and 1 Christmas Tree coral (which died, but I want another one!)
$150 - Assorted false corals

$40 - Penguin 200 bio-wheel
$20 - 200 watt Stealth heater
$40 - Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead (adds current to the water)

$10 - 2 sheets of blue sided styrofoam posterboard. I used it to "blue out" the back of the tank. Looks much better than the fake backgrounds you can by, and by using this stuff, I didnt have to empty my tank and move it in order to paint the back side of the tank blue.

$20 - 1 tank raised Maroon Clownfish
$20 - 1 Diamond Goby
$35 - 1 Atlantic Pygmy Angel
$25 - 1 Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
$20 - 1 Saddle Valentini Puffer

$15 - 1 Hermit Crab
FREE - 1 Turbo Snail (snagged it from Jay's tank) HAHA

Oh and lets not forget the Test Kit, Food, water conditioners etc, and salt I buy every 3 or months, and the other assorted stuff....

$30 - Saltwater test kit (various necessary tests for water quality)
$100 (est.) - For water conditioner, pH balancer, medicine, Iodine supplement, Chroma-Plex, and all the other additives for the water, etc.

$50.$75 - Every 2-4 months for salt so I can do water changes.

$75 - For the other necessary stuff like nets, a hydrometer, thermometer, measuring cups, 5 gallon buckets (for water changes), siphon, "Mag-Float" (cleans the glass). and all the other crap.

Food is fairly expensive too. Here are the main things I feed all the fish...

$7 - Hikari Marine-S pellets
$8 - Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets with Garlic
$8 - Tetra Jumbo Freezed Dried Shrimp (Krill)
Frozen foods-
$8 - Package of "Emeral Entree" frozen cubes
$8 - Package of frozen Silversides
$8 - Package of frozen Brine Shrimp
Liquids (for the corals and invertabrates)
$12 each for a bottle of ChromaPlex and ZooPlex (zooplankton)
Live foods -
$3 for a scoop of Live Brine Shrimp.

And my tank is only a little more than a "FOWLR" (Fish Only With Live Rock). I do have a few corals, but its not a reef tank. When I upgrade to the 72 gallon Bow Front tank, that setup will cost me a little over 709 dollars (the 72g tank, stand, lid, light-strip), and although it comes with a dual-lightstrip like I already have, I will be getting a 400 watt fixture with 2 150 watt Metal Halide lamps and 2 50 watt power compact Actinic's, so I can have some more corals like anemones and stuff. This 400 watt light fixture will run me about $500 alone, and thats if I get a deal lol. And I will have to upgrade my filter, heater, and add another powerhead when I get the 72g, as well as buy about another 200 dollars worth of live rock, and another 50 bucks in live sand to fill it out.

Did I forget anything? I have almost 1500 bux into this setup, and it costs on average about 20 to 25 dollars a month for maintanence/upkeep.

Saltwater = Not a cheap hobby LOL. I love it though...I love the fish and I love the maintence. With my freshwater tanks, I used to get lazy and put off the upkeep. Not with this...cuz its a serious investment ya gotta take care of ya money!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 07:06 PM

Emerald G. Crebs the Hermit Crab LMAO....

And a Turbo Snail snackin' on the live rock...

Old 10-12-2005, 01:33 AM

Few more pics of Chuck Rubble...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 PM

My Puffah loves his mussles!!!

Sorry bout tha algae on the glass lol, damn turbo and cerith snails are on vacation!

Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 PM

Rubble tha Blue Eyed Devil

Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Veteran

Jonny ,great pictures.Did you hand pick the mussles out of the ocean
Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Thanks. LOL, naw, I could go down to tha maaaaaaaaaahsh and git some, but its too damn cold. I used ta buy em buy tha bag at tha supermarket. But I will be gittin em from Pete Jr. down at tha bait shop from now on.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:22 PM

Made some awesome new vids, got some great close-ups, especially of Rubble the Lionfish. Been working on my video editing lately. They start out as .MPG's, around 91mb's or so. I added the S247 logo to the clips, then Adobe Premier converts the completed clip over to AVI format, and they came out to 509mb's LMAO. So then I had to recompress and convert them, and chose .WMV (windows media audio/video) format since I got the 2 largest clips down to about 25mb's a piece, and didnt lose much quality.

Here's the 3 that came out the best...

The first is trying to get shots of all 5 fish...
The Gang (21.4 mb)

Same here, with a great shot of my Lion taking off like a missile going after some Krill...
The Gang Pt. 2 (25.9 mb)

This one is mostly my Lionfish, good closeups....
Rubble (25.8 mb)

Old 12-23-2005, 03:55 PM

Yesterday was a sad day. My Lionfish, Rubble, passed on. He stopped eating shortly after making the videos I posted above. I guess he went on hunger strike, and although Lionfish can go about a month without eating, he pushed it to the limit. I tried force feeding towards the end, but he was having no part of it. I noticed about 4/5 days ago he started hanging around with his head pointed up, instead of down, so I knew the end was near. I came home from work yesterday and he was lying on the sand gasping. I brought him home around the end of last April I think, only had him about 8 months or so. At a little over 4", he never even made it to his potential full size of 7". Sucks losing one'ah tha gang.

R.I.P. - Rubble. Dec. 22 2005

Old 12-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Jb
I feel your loss brother.
I had a puffer (The kids named him puffie) that I nursed back to health more than a few times in a hospital tank. I used to feed him peas when he was too weak to eat anything else. One time he had a parasite of some kind and i fed him metronodizole in a dropper and gave him fresh water baths daily. He lived for about two years. Puffers are very fragile fish.
I was very sad when he died. The electricity went out one day for 12 hours while he was in the isolation tank.
He was like a real pet. He would wag his fins and follow me around when he saw me. My friends laughed at me but I actually felt worse for that fish than I did for some doosh that died up here on the mountain.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM

LOL. Yesah I hear ya. Sorry to hear about your Puff. I love my Puffah. striperjay and I both have Valentini Puffiz, and we practically worship the things lol.

I've lost fish in the past and not really cared, cuz they werent pets. The fish in this saltwater tank are pets. I taught Rubble how to eat of my hand and taught things, including the feeding schedule, and how to take off and attack floating krill. I spent time on 'em cuz he was a real pet, thats what sucks the most when ya lose 'em. I am mad at him for going on hunger strike.

I am going to get my little 5.5 gallon hospital tank set back up. Maybe I couldve saved Rubble, but I doubt it.

I will get another lion, but I'll wait a bit. This time I am going to get the Dwarf Zebra lion instead of a Fuzzy Dwarf. I just hope the next one is a gentle giant like Rubble was.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 PM

Too bad to hear Johnny. Sometimes fish are just like that.

I remember once at Newcastle Beach, there was a sea robin (redfish) on the beach, and a seagull was pecking at it. So me and my friend broguht it into the water, and over the course of 30 minutes, revived it, and it kinda floated on its stomach for a bit as it moved out into the deeper water, and some punk kids started throwing rocks at it, me and my friend made them stop realllll quick. The fish flipped over on its side and went under. Swam off A-Okay. Made me feel pretty good about myself.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 PM

Finally replaced my gah'damn actinic bulb. Pics look better now. Havin a saltwater tank without actinic blue lighting is like having Carmen Electra with a black eye....its just not as good. After Rubble died, I decided to rearrange some of my rock work too. It sucked before.

Ordered a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish. After tha passing of Rubble, I just gotta git another Lion. Rubble was a Fuzzy Dwarf, so I think this time I will get something a little different. The Dwarf Zebra has more white lines on it......

Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 AM

Hey Jonny! Sorry to hear about the passing of Sir Rubble. I missed this thread for a while and just read about it.

My wife's been bugging me to get an aquarium set up for over a year now. I might try to do it this winter. It would have to be a freshwater tank to start out though.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:28 PM

What size ya thinkin bout doin???

Here's me Puffah in action. I went down ta see Pete this afternoon and picked up some Steamers for tha fish lol....

His belly is nice N plumped up

Also went down to Seabrook to pick up my (supposed) Dwarf Zebra Lionfish that I ordered. I get there, look in the tank with my name on it, and its a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion hangin' out in the top corner. I told the guy wrong fish, and that I was sorry I couldnt take it home. Thats how I ended up with Rubble, wanted one but they only had the other. This time I want to get the right fish for a change, something different. I told him to order the right fish, or it was gonna be free. It bettah be theya next week or I'm gonna backhand somebuddy.