New aquarium (new vids added 11/26) - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:01 PM

I didnt edit anything, I swear Johnny! Maybe it was for the best :?:

Great pics again Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 PM

Nitrates need to be lowered JB. With a water change even a gallon or two daily. It is nowhere near cycled yet. Cut back on the food. every other day.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Ya, I'm gun vacuum my LR a bit and take out bout 5 gallons. I have 5 gallons of fresh mixed saltwater that has been aerating overnight in tha bucket.

Found a Seaclone 100 on Ebay for cheap, gunna try to steal it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Hey JB Hows the tank comin. Salt is delicate and unforgiving. Lostsa care. If your lazy like me it can be a PIA. :D
Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM

lol. It's doin wickid awesum :D Had to take on a little part time work since tha biz is slowin down, so I couldnt do a water change this weekend. But I did some tests last night, and the only thing that I am wondering about is my Nitrates, still seem to be stayin a little higher than I'd like. They leveled off a few weeks ago, and havent seemed to go down at all really since. But everything else is 0, and my pH is 8.2. I can see spots growing on my LR now, so the coralline algae is kickin in. I added a few more corals, a white cauliflower, purple catspaw, and a yellow stag. Tank looks a little better with those added. I'll get some updated pics up soon.

I also got an Atlantic Pygmy Angel (cherubfish)....

The color on this fish is incredible. He's like Sonic Blue

I also put in a hermit crab to see how it would do in my tank. I lost track of him for a few days, but I can finally see him today, and he's just sittin in the same spot up on the live rock.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Oh yeah, I also found something new growing out of my live rock, its like a green plant or something, towards the front of the tank. Only has several "branches", but it's somethin new growin. Pretty cool.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 PM

nice pics jonny.... its really looking nice!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:13 PM

Great work on the fish tank! Ever consider getting some of these??

Old 05-04-2005, 09:50 PM

Those are some creepy creatures lol.

Well, seems I had my first fatality. Story goes something like this........I picked up a Peppermint Shrimp several days ago to help clean the sand and "clean" the fish. The Shrimp is doing great, its already molted once which was really weird lol. I found his shell on the bottom. My Atlantic Pygmy Angel LOVES the Peppermint Shrimp, and I can see the Angelfish swimming in place while the Shrimp uses its anntenae things to clean stuff off of him. BUT, at first, I thought the shell I saw was the fishes corpse! Yup, the day after I got the Shrimp, he went missing. I havent seen him for a few days, so I assume he either jumped out of the tank (which is highly unlikely because I have it covered very well), or something happened to him in the tank. I dont understand, he was the first fish in my tank, and he was doing well. All of a sudden he just disappeared. He is always in a place where I can see him, and I havent seen him for days. So it looks like RIP.

So I went out today after work looking for another Goby, maybe one that would sift the sand a little more than the other one did. I found one and put it on hold while I went to another place to get a new 50/50 bulb. So I'm in Petco, get the bulb, and decide to look that fish. I had been in there just a few days previous cuz thats where I got the Peppermint Shrimp. I see the "Dwarf Zebra Lionfish" thing still on one of the tanks. I had remembered looking in there the utha day and not seeing the Lionfish. Well I looked in today and it was in theya! 24 bux......I was like man I gotta git it. I've been looking into gettin a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish for a few months, but never though I would see one locally, cuz usually all I ever see are the Volitan Lions and they get too big lol. So I got the Lion and picked up the Goby on the way home and both are doing fine. Feeding the Lionfish should be a real twat though.....they told me it was already weaned from live food and will eat frozen bloodworms and krill I guess. We'll see. Hopefully I can get him eating cuz he is small, not too old, and I'd like to see him grow old. I dont have to worry about him eating any of my other fish cuz he is too small and cant fit them in his mouth lol. He's only about a 1.5" long. Just a baby Lion 8)

I'm not sure what type of Goby I got this time, they told me it was a "Decorative Goby", but I havent found out exactly what it is.

But I do have a pic of a Dwarf Zebra Lion.......

This thing is poisonous and will kick your ass!!! LMAO

Old 05-04-2005, 09:55 PM

DUDE, BUY GUPPIES AND FEED HIM TO THE LIONFISH! Screw the "weened from live food" BS. Get some quality entertainment. Plus guppies are like .2 cents each. Its worth it man!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:58 PM

I would, but feeding it live fish for long periods of time is bad for its diet long-term. If I cant get him to eat anything I already have, like some krill or live brine shrimp, I will have to give him somethin' live probably so he wont starve lol.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:40 PM

Oh really, hmm...

the more you know....
Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I would, but feeding it live fish for long periods of time is bad for its diet long-term.
They can also ingest a parasite known to be found in feeder goldfish. Its known as hole in the head disease. Its common with freshwater oscars.
Metronodizole is the cure. Thats the same treatment used for human std parasites. Thrichamonids. This can entered into the trivial information file . :D
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 PM

Yeah I dont want to get involved in that freshwater feeder fish crap. Read and heard too much thats negative about it. I'm sure i may throw one in for the hell of it, but I am not going to use them because he was already weaned from live food to frozen stuff. However I did pick up some frozen silversides, and I cut a few pieces up for him and presented a piece to him with a wooden feeder stick....he wanted nothing to do with it. So I had to order an acrylic feeding stick for him, I heard they better than wood cuz the fish doesnt see it as much and therefore isnt threatened by it.

I picked up some more live brine shrimp and put a bunch in tonight for all the fish. The lion LOVED em! Some of em he just gobbles up, others he will "stalk" and play with them suck em up

Old 05-06-2005, 12:26 AM

JB I used to use mollies cause if they dont get eaten they will survive in the salt . They are brackish water fish and will acclimate to the salt. eventually they'll get eaten if you dont feed the fish for like a week. :P The little black mollies look kinda cool in the tank. 8)