The Bass River...... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM

Default The Bass River......

Salt water river inlets with tons of striper schoolies on cape cod but i can't even get a nibble. Lures? Live bait? give me a sure fire way, im sick of coming up empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Bass River......psych

try a large silver dare devil .they work good on schoolies just give it a try trust me and get back to me when you catch one
Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM

Live eels at night, during the day, anytime really, but especially at night. Pencil Poppers during the day. Come to the Canal Gathering this weekend, you'll learn how to fish both

I might also suggest a darter type plug if you're getting into the current/rips...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 PM

Try jointed redfins - and thundersticks on the schoolies.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Striper Hunter

Might want to try bait fishing - clams, squid?

I had my boat at Bass River last year, had the same frustration, but I didn't get enough time on the water to really figure things out. Seems like folks target fluke at the mouth when the season starts.

Cape is great, might want to do some traveling, Chatham, Monomoy. Maybe hit Popponosett (?) earlier in the spring next year.

I'm at the Merrimack this year and have discovered its all about the hours - you need time on the water and the lessons will present themselves.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

schoolies cant resist bucktail jigs and rubber storm swim shads ...

or figure out what they are feeding on and use the same bait.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Yogreek said it. If you absolutely must get a fish use a 3/0 hook with a clam belly and hold the rod in your hands. Dont sand spike it.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys, havent had a chance to get out there yet to try the stuff. I was guna tonight but the sox, then playoffs were on. HD steak tips and celtics is deadly combination. Maybe tomorrow night it'll be striper bites!!! :) . O and i had a question, where i fish on the river its a jointed dock that comes out about 15 ft in the water but it makes alot of noise sometimes creeking and such. Would that in effect scare some of the fish away from that vacinity?? I read something in one of the forums talking about clothing and not shining light along with noise making and how it effects the stripers eating habits. newho i'll have questions at the gathering this weekend. thanks again fellas
Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

I know that if a striper is hungry and wants to eat aint nothing stopping them ive had them come in and hit my bait when i was reeling it in and that was right on the shore line in 4 feet of water. As far as scaring them dont worry but if you wer trying to catch herring then it matters because herring can get scared just from your reflection in the wateras far as the dock making noise the local fish are probebly use to it so it is another natuaral structure to them......... good luck let us know how you make out
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
as far as the dock making noise the local fish are probebly use to it so it is another natuaral structure to them.
Gary, I can see how this might hold true if we were talking about an impoundment with a body of fish that are permanent residents of the area. Yeah, they probably would grow less wary of the sound of someone walking on a loud creaky dock.

Not sure you could really apply the same logic to an area that is in constant flux, with migrating fish moving in and out, never staying in the same place for very long. Who knows,,,, that cow that was lurking near the dock, just before someone stepped on it and made a racket, could have been 10 miles away the day before and probably wouldn't stick around to figure out where that noise came from.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: The Bass River......

absolute stealth is always a good idea...if you eliminate the factors that could lead to a spooked fish you will increase your chance of producing a strike. if i were you ide figure the dock as structure and assume there is a cow sitting under it...work the dock from the shore very well before stepping foot on it.