Striper Newbie, Boston Harbor - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Official Member

Default Striper Newbie, Boston Harbor

Please pull out your tissues and violins as I introduce myself with a short sob story to go with it. I grew up fishing Boston Harbor with my Dad and his 18' boat late 70's, early 80's while in high school. I loved to catch anything; flounder, cod, pollock. I just loved to fish. Then Boston harbor tanked as did my Dad's boat. He took up golf, retired, and moved down the cape. Never caught a striper in those days. The past 8 years I only had the opportunity to fish once a year while on vacation in Nantucket for a week. I have always purchased the off-road sticker and every year thought this was the ticket for bluefish, stripers, etc. I have plugged, used eels, fished early am, dusk, night, etc. Well, it was only 2 years ago that I caught my first fish from shore(a bluefish) one evening. I can't tell you how excited my kids(11, 10, 8 yrs) were. They probably got tired of asking me "did you catch anything"?
Anyway, 2007 came and I was able to barter work for a boat(22' outboard) and I thought for short money I(my family) could try out boating/fishing for short money. We trailer out of the public ramp in Weymouth. Our first trip out my 8 year old son landed a bluefish. Of course, I thought that was pretty easy and it was going to be a banner year for fishing! My friend was looking for a gaf. I didn't have one because I didn't plan on catching anything! Needless to say we had great fishing trips(boat rides) out in the harbor, but no stripers. I even trailered my boat over to Nantucket for vacation last summer, but no stripers.
I have to say, after stumbling upon your website while looking for fishing information, I have learned more from your valuable posts and threads than I could have ever learned from a couple seasons out on the ocean. I really feel as though it has saved me time and money. It seems like a unique group of people out to help everyone by sharing their expertise.
I apologize for the long post, but as you can probably tell I am fired up and thinking "This is the year!" Still searching for my first striper. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Striper Newbie, Boston Harbor

Welcome aboard!! Glad ta have ya join the party! Hope you can join us at one of the upcoming Gatherings this season. May 17th at a most excellent location in RI that is sure to be hot, and June 7th at the Cape Cod Canal are 2 that would be great to put on your calendar.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 PM

Denny, welcome aboard, I truly hope that all we have accumulated here will help you and your kids find and catch fish. There are many info threads labeled with stickies in all the Firums. I would start with them, get some info and then ask questions if you don't find what you want. The Gatherings are weekend long seminars with a great bunch of folks, eating, fishing, eating and fishing.................
Get me an Email if you want to get into the loop for direct mailing of the info you will not get in the public forums.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 AM
First Mate

Welcome to the site, lik Jake and the Gunny said, the gatherings are a great place for all to learn... I promise you that you will learn more than you ever thought possible

Bryan
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 AM

Nice Post Denny

Welcome.