Whats the worst conditions you fished in - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Whats the worst conditions you fished in

Ive fished several crappy storms. In one we were caught out on a party boat with 14 foot swells. The boat dropped at one point pretty far and I thought the 70 foot boat would crack in half. It was a nice chop. Of course we didnt fish it, the captain was mad dashin it back in.

I've been stupid enought to fish those barometric pressure drops now for years and they often bring big storms and dangerous lightning. Thats what the Gortons gear is for . No? I just hate this freezin cold stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 09:30 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

End of Summer/Beginning of Fall 2003. A storm was passing by me here in Hampton, a bit of a Nor'Easter. I went down to the jetty at the State Park, which I rarely fish. There was a few guys down there fishing already, but they were at the beginning of the jetty. The waves were rippin', and I wanted to get go farther down to get to atleast the 3rd wave. I walked down there a bit farther, set my stuff up, and when I looked up, I saw death itself roaring towards me. A friggin HUUUGE wave blew across the rocks diagonally and just skipped itself towards me. I had a split second just to crouch down between a few rocks. Luckily my tackle box and rod didnt go bye bye. I almost ended up out in the Canary Islands though. Scared tha poop right out me boy.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:17 PM

Hmm, 5:30 Am, 46 degrees out (water was 75), raining, thunderstron coming. Wasn't all that bad though, best fishing I think I have ever had.

This was in a lake though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM

Steve and I were out jiggin for bait near the Seacoast Science center in Rye. Started noticing a bunch of t-storms rollin up through Portsmouth into Maine, so we figure its a good thing were out here. All of a sudden we notice a HUGE thunder head comin our way :shock: . Pull up the jigs, throw our rain suits on and start headin in! Well it was too late, the wind kicked up, the waves got huge, and it felt like it was raining sideways! I think lightning was hittin the water behind us on the way in. Then there was the time when the weather didn't seem bad until we went around the coastgurd station, and the waves were so big I didn't know if I was going to get the boat turned around. It seems like I fish in bad weather alot, but what the hell, if the fishin is good I don't care.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:56 PM

Jan. 17 this year...tuna fishing out of Venice, Louisiana.
10 ft. seas in a 37 ft. boat...i got SICK!...and no 2NA's fo show for it. :evil:
the next day we fished the jetties and boated about 50 of these..pretty fun, but not WASABI :?

— Jed Clampett
Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

It's a tough choice,there's been more than I'd like to admit.

The one that stands out the best was October 2002,we were tuna fishing just inside cape ann,the bite had been hot and we had caught fish two days in a row, we had a light southerly wind and it was HOT,something like 90,the forecast had been for an afternoon front to come through,this would coinside with slack water,just what we wanted,well the weather came fast,the wind turnd N/W and blew 40+ knots,just then I saw the starboard rod lay over...fish on,I jumped on the rod,everyone else did their thing,the wind increased,as did the waves,we couldnt back down on the fish,the 38'JC we were in bobbed like a cork while the Capt. tried to keep the boat into the wind and waves,I pushed the drag up to full(strike is 40lbs) and prayed,cranked,puked salt water and swore, one hour later the fish swam behind the boat,riding a swell higher than the stern,the other crew member took a shot with the harpoon... right through the heart,he held a rope around my waist while i tried to tail wrap the fish,I ended up with stitches over my eye and a broken nose ,but we got him,he dressed at 670 and change,It took us four hours to get from outside cranes beach to seabrook.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Veteran

Was on a charter,It rained so hard that another fishing boat touched us on the port side. Never saw him. Good thing we were only trolling.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Veteran

And the worst conditions are when your killing fish and there is no one around to see you or nobody believes you. they say right :roll: kidding
Old 02-15-2005, 12:04 AM

There was this one time when I went salmon fishing off the coast. Of course, being the ONLY woman on the boat, some smelly hippie type fisherman thought it was his duty to "help me out" ..... long story short - his b.o made me ill and I threw up over the side. The last thing I remember was the smelly hippie yelling "Go For distance......" as I threw my guts up. What a great day & what a lucky girl I was.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Veteran

You should ahave aimed for him,maybe he would have smelled better :roll: Could have said hows the distance . :?: Anyway welcome.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishprincess
his b.o made me ill and I threw up over the side
:roll:

Welcome to the site fishprincess. Hope you enjoy.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Fishprincess.....Welcome!!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Veteran

Steve, Do you get tired holding that fish up.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 PM

not really but my left arm is a helluva lot stronger now
Old 02-16-2005, 05:42 PM

the worst conditions i ever fished in is was trout fishing at the local stram(little lehigh) with about 2 1/2 feet fo snow last year it was like 3 incheas from my hips :shock: that was the coldest i ever bin. i did catch some trout though so that made me forget about the whole hypothermia thing :D