If I get a Commercial Bait License can I transport Herring I catch? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Striper Hunter

Default If I get a Commercial Bait License can I transport Herring I catch?

If I buy a Commercial license for bait-selling can I "certify" any herring I catch and transport them over land?

The DEC's website doesn't give up answers easily, and I figured I'd toss the question to you guys before I contact DEC directly.

Maybe stir up some conversation.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 05:38 PM
First Mate

Default Re: If I get a Commercial Bait License can I transport Herring I catch?

Short answer is probably no. No live herring can be transported by ANYBODY over land- they must remain in the river.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

yeah there is no loop hole ive tried that route already lol believe me ...every time I have tried I found a dead end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Striper Hunter

Yeah, that's what I figured.

When I fish down here near Newburgh and Cornwall, where Bloodworms rule baitwise, I'm not really that affected by these regs (the prices for Bloods are ridiculous, but that's another discussion), but what the hell are Shorebound fishermen upriver supposed to do?

They have been made criminals if they currently pursue traditional methods of doing things, and all they want to do is go fishing for Stripers in the Spring!

Not every fishable shore spot is also conducive to catching your own fresh herring right at the spot.

These policies clearly discriminate against fishermen who by economic circumstance fish the Hudson from shore exclusively.

If you have enough money to buy, maintain and fish from a boat, these regs do not make a difference.

For the rest of us, we're screwed.

I guess it's all about the cash and who's got it, huh DEC?

Another brick in the wall making it tough on those who are not thriving in the current economy.

As suggested by fellow Stripers247 member "Giuduce21" (not sure of exact username) in a previous post on the topic, if you reversed things and made it illegal to use Hudson Herring in any OTHER body of water, you'd take care of the issue and allow the continued enjoyment of our Hudson River Striper resource by individuals in ALL economic ranges and methods, while concurrently addressing the potential contamination issues they allege are the reasons behind the current regulations.

Of course, the DEC "knows better than the rest of us"...

Such B.S.

Our tax dollars at work.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Member Reel Force

Arrow Re: If I get a Commercial Bait License can I transport Herring I catch?

It's nice to see that I'm not totally crazy and I find it hard to believe that the "great" minds at DEC haven't thought of banning the use of Hudson River Herring for bait on all bodies of water, besides their original location without certification that they are disease free. Seems to me that the DEC, like DMV, does what is easier for them and also gives them more chances to slam good people with lame tickets for easy cash. I'm also curious about the rumor of DEC making us buy saltwater licenses. I always buy my freshwater yearly license and hope that I wouldn't have to buy an additional license to fish the Hudson River for two months during Striper Season. Any word if there would be freshwater and saltwater zones or something like it? I'm lucky to have a boat to fish from and felt bad for the shore bound fisherman last year who were stuck with the unenviable task of catching Herring for bait every fishing trip. Nothing worse than wasting time trying to get some bait, when you could be waiting for a beautiful linesider to hit.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

As far as license goes=you dont have to have one to fish up here for the stripers but down bye new york city you have to because you run into the marine district ...iam hoping to hook up with someone with a boat so i can go out on a boat this year
but then again i catch big ones from shore to AS FAR AS THE REGS GO

FROM WHAT I HEARD THEY MIGHT STOP STRIPER FISHING IN THE HUDSON PERIOD 2009 OR 2010 SO CATCH THEM WHILE U CAN
Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidici
Any word if there would be freshwater and saltwater zones or something like it?
Only speculation by me Guidiche but the DEC considers the tidal Hudson a Marine zone.
Theres a clause in the reauthorization of the Magnusen Stevens Act of 2006 thats spurring the Feds (NOAA) to create a national registry and hence the State or Federal Licensing. Perhaps a dual freshwater and salwater combined license can accomplish what it is they want.

More on this in a striper room thread