Spray paint - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:10 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Spray paint

I'm getting ready to buy a few plug kits. Before I do I wanted to know if you could use canned spray paint, and if so what brand. Also what sealer and epoxy would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance

Khary23
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Spray paint

you can definately use spray cans,just try to use the same brand to insure compatabilty if you plan on using 2 or more colors per plug.as for sealing and epoxy... boy ,lots of choices.i use boiled linseed oil cut with mineral spirits in about a 60/40 mix. for epoxy envirotex lite(any good paint store or craft store)these arent your only options,far from it .search this site and others and observe safety practices with the BLO,if you go that way .too much infoto cover in one post so look around and have fun. cant wait to see them!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

thanks! do you have any suggestions for brands?
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Lunker

i just use ace hardware spray enamel, like 2.99 a can but ithink you could use just about anything.like i said before you just gotta make sure different colors from different brands arent going to react with one another badly,you really dont know till you try.i ve come up with some pretty cool color combos by mistake and also have had some blister and bubble also. dont forget to prime also,either spray or dip.again ,search around , lots of better builders than me out there and they have all got their methods that work for them. i tend to keep my color schemes simple.but with modest effort you will be surprised how well they come out .and take fish also(always a plus).i think i see a lathe in your future!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

thanks for all the info. I'm going to order them today!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Painters choice or rustolium.... I painted plugs with rattle cans for years,then covered the plugs with 3 coats of varnish.....
Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Thanks Roccus. Do you reccomend varnish over epoxie?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khary23 View Post
Thanks Roccus. Do you reccomend varnish over epoxie?

Nope.. it's just what I used when I first started building up to about 4 years ago...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:18 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Hey guys just finished soaking in the sealer. I had one more question what do you use to mix the epoxy?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I use the Envirotex Lite, and it mixes ok, with a small stick. Like a popsicle stick.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Lunker

again khary,if you are using the e-tex, just mix it as close to equal as you possibly can.do it in a heated (not too warm enviroment)dust free. try smallbatch first.and if the stuff starts too get too tacky after a couple of plugs dont try to do just one more.tf after 24 hrs they are still tacky your mix was not even,simply mix new batch and do it again.i dont know if you are using a spinner, if not you can flip them every once in a while until the stuff is set up enough. post some pics!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I think I'm going to be useing the flip method. seeing how I love in an apartment I'm kinda tight on space. I got the plugs drying from the sealer now so I guess the paint starts in a week or so. Thanks for every ones help. I will definitely post pictures when they are done.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Lunker

khary, one more thing i forgot to mention, the e-tex can give off some fumes ,nothing too crazy but it cant be good for ya. if your doing this in a small unventilated space, take whatever precautions you can. i gotta batch i sealed fri so hopefully ill get em painted next week end and then sealed.were running out of weeks here and thats a good thing!cant wait to see them!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:53 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Thanks for the heads up mully. I guess I'll try to do that part out side. I need all the brain cells I have left.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

forgot to ask, how long will the boiled linseed oil/ mineral spirits mixture last in a sealed pail?