4wd-? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Default 4wd-?

whats happenin fellas----quick question------i want to get my 4 wheel drive permit this year----question is what kind of damage does the sand do to your vehicle-----i have a 2004 gmc envoy ---is this alright for the beach?
its a family vehicle which is why im asking-----im get enuff crap from the wife about fishing already----dont want to mess up the family wheels if ya know what i mean----are there any things i should do when i get home?? any tips are appreciated----thanks in advance

btw jim the site looks great---i enjoy coming here when i have the time---just about the only thing i use the computer for---you guys are the best--keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 AM

Default Re: 4wd-?

Hi LInesider. Thanks

A GMC envoy is fine. When you hit the sand you usually power down by releasing air from the tires for better traction. 15-PSI is recommended. Carry an onboard inflater as well. Have a look at one of the beach buggy sites for info you need.
Theres a sticky in the surfcaster forum with all the listings. New York its the LIBBA. Theres some good info on their site.
and the must haves on board, info you'll get when you apply for permits. The only one of the 5 gateway sites is in Queens and you must get the gateway permit from that site. I believe it the Breezy Point office.
The others NY sites are the state run beaches and some private campgrounds.

A lot of guys use decent vehicles in the sand. The salt air is likely to do more damage than the sand unless you bottom out.
The toughest part is some of the terrain. Most beaches are OK but some of the terrain in east hampton will bounce you around but you wont bottom out or anything like that. You may be a little wary of the softer sand but its Ok after you get used to it.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

The salt will eat it up. No real way to get around it.
The best you can hope for is to control the rate as best you can.
Some things that help;
Before 1st use, pray the entire undersides with 50/50 mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. Saturate the tar out of joints, connections, contact points of fastners, joints etc. Done yearly is a very big help.
Rinse the undersides when done. Some people park over a lawn sprinkler and let it run a bit.
A more radicle approach is to expose all you can for better cleaning with a power washer. That means removing inner wheel wells, underside spare tire carriers, etc. to expose the metal and anything else you can get off.
Somethings are near impossible to care for. Like the tops of gas tanks (even the plastic ones have metal fittings and sender you can't reach for rinsing), behind brake lines, rockers with drain holes only let in what you can't get out.
You can control the rate of rusting, but you'll never eliminate it all. Body mounts are terrible at rusting.
Unibodies (frameless beast) often rust worste from the inside out.
Get rid of all carpeting that'll hold salt from shoes etc.
It's a battle, you can't win, eventually you'll either have to learn to weld for repairs or trash it for anouther.
Unfortunately, it's a sacrifice we all need to acknowledge.
I sure with they allowed ATVs on the beach for fishing use only. It would make life so much easier and cheaper to maintain. Much of them are plastic bodied and aluminum / stainless. plus they'd be so much easier on the enviroment if used responsibly.
How trucks fair on the beach is totally up to how you take care of it.
If insurance wasn't do damned high, I'd have a beach only rig. you can get a older decent conditioned Cherokee for $500-$1500 off Craigs List anyday that's good enough for the beach. But the added insurance is a killer!
$0.02 from someone that's done it awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

linesider-stay off the wet sand, stay above the tide mark. In the good ol days we would run the car half in half out of a freshwater pond to splash the freshwater up under the car. another trick if you can find someone is to have your car put up on a lift and have the underside sprayed with used motor oil, then run it around a sand or gravel pit to dust it underneath.Use low range to keep the trans from geting hot and have fun
Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Of course you can clean the undersides of salt & sand like these guys do.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 AM

I was wondering when that guy would move from the front of the vehicle.

Gary heres a signiture for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepru_jpg.gif
Views:	134
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	4405  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM
First Mate

Amazing . . . . going to try that out one day.