Long Johns vs. Under Armour - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:12 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Long Johns vs. Under Armour

Hi,

Was looking in to getting some of those under armour pants, and shirts. Just wanted to see what you guys think about them compared to long . Basically wanted to know if their worth the price.
thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Long Johns vs. Under Armour

They are expensive. The new sheriff in town is Silver Max Its increasingly popular with hunters because of the antimicrobial properties and the thermodynamic. Cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Some stuff is not as expensive as underarmour. The premier long sleeved raglan crew is 20 bucks. (warm)
You can get warm, warmer, and warmest. Though underarmour works.

disclaimer. not a commercial or endorsement
Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Try a pair of flannel or fleece lined pants. Everyone should own at least one pair. I think I own about 4 or 5. For hunting alone, I have 3. Slip them on and your all set. For thermals, I have a few but the best are a pair of quilted ones that I can't find a replacement for. A little bulky, but since I don't have a butt, that's OK. Much depends on the type of activity you plan. If you are planning on active activity that will cause you to sweat, stay away from cotton. Wool is best in my opinion. Wool gloves and socks can't be beat. Don't fall for the 15% wool ones. Look for better than 70% wool. Wool retains much of its thermal ability even when wet. Cotton retains almost none. I hate being cold, so dress in layers and pick clothing close to your skin to wick away moisture. Protect your face as well. Keep your ears and cheeks warm. If you don't wear glasses, keep the nose covered. If you do wear glasses, they fog up as soon as I cover my nose.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Poly pro under wool....light goretex shell if the weather is wet or wind is blowing.... hard combo to beat, even when it's below zero...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

thanks fellas
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I still believe in wool also. Mostly from the Army / Navy Stores. With a light nylon (windbreaker) shell over top they are hard to beat. and the price is reasonable at the surplus stores.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM
LunkHead

Just to reinforce what roc said, any polypro underwear as a base layer, you can get some on the cheap at www.sierratradingpost.com, they are seconds but who cares? It's underwear.......And the flannel lined pants mentioned earlier are also a great way to keep warm, over the polypro. I just purchased a goretex-like shell as an outer layer also from Sierra, and so far I'm loving it, it keeps out the wind and water, it's not exactly a dry-top, but it works for me, as long as I'm not swimming, I've stayed dry.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"