Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

where is the POWER in power pro??

Tags
power pro
15K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  jimi4290 
#1 ·
hi tiderunner
i too had some bad luck with powerpro,i was using #20 ,great at first.after about 20 trips it started breaking for no good reason.im breaking it off on cocktails.thought they were biting it off at first,then went to cast,loaded the rod & it broke by the stripper guide.in my opinion its garbage,im back to fireline.

#30 ·
greenie and braid??

used the PP last night, also my first experience with braided......wow those plugs and bait cast a lot further with braid. I also noticed how sensitive it is. a bitch to tie knots in the night though takes some getting used to but I think I will like it.
I have a 710 greenie are these reels ok to spool with braid for a goog like myself or should I hold off?

#31 ·
I know some folks have had the breakage issue with PP.
For me, I use it on my Abu's without a hitch, and I also use Stealth braid. 50# for both.
On my spinners, I use Fireline, to me that is a no brainer.thumbsup.gif
It is interesting, though, how that line just breaks. Interesting, indeed.:icon_question:

#34 ·
I will sum up the thread now.
Zim, you are a ball buster and we all know that, anyone that does not, get over it.
Roc loves the stuff and has never lost a fish to it's failure.
I have lost way too many plugs to the stuff I will never trust again, after giving it the benefit of the doubt due to having it recommended by folks with reputaions beyond reproach.
I have checked my guides several times with cotton balls, and removed the line to the backing looking for frays. Out of nowhere the line fails with no warning. Bad spool? I'll never take the chance it's a fluke. Loyalty is built on trust. I'm moving on.
More than one person I fish with tells me the same story. Gave it a chance, not going back.
Suffix is on deck, then spider wire. after that I go back to Mono. I landed a 64 on mono.
Too bad monnel wire don't cast worth a crap, cause I landed a 68 on that.

#45 ·
To throw my opinion in, Vanish is complete and total crap, the worst stuff I've ever used by far, nothing else has ever come close - I'd rather use the bargain bin no name line then that stuff.

As you can tell not only do I hate the stuff but I'm even angry at the company for even selling it. Here's why:
I spooled two reels with Vanish for a trip down to Florida. It was mainly a family trip, a few days on the west coast and a few at Disney. I was taking one day to fish a backwater area that I know holds some good sized sheepshead. Long story short, I had 4 or 5 good hits and on everyone the line just snapped as though it was too brittle to handle the shock. Ruined my only day to fish. And no there were no nicks in my guides or on my spool lip. The line was breaking mid way between the end of my rod and the hook. I've never had that happen like that before or since.

I came back and bitched about it on another forum (this is long before Stipers247) and it turned out that I was far from the only guy to have had this problem. In fact the only person who liked the stuff only used it in heavier tests for short leaders.

#39 ·
still using PowerPro with some setups in their 4th season.. prolly should turn it around on the spool for the next 4 seasons...LOL... Like Roccus I load my PP wet.. just drop the spool in the sink and put it on plenty tight.. started using stren's super braid last season and like that as well .. have it on three setups including my chad rod ... seems to stay dark colored longer.. I tie direct alot so that alone carries some merit with me.

I don't know how to explain the failures some have had with PP.. multiple manufacturers with varying quality control could be one reason..

I did have issues one day with casting breakoffs.. tip eye had a small chip in the porcelin .. was cutting it off like a knife..

you gotta use what you have the most confidence in... one's confidence level and state of mind are often times half the battle..

positive energy, a balanced attitude, and a centered chi baby... :yay:

#40 ·
The fact that some knots don't work with braid has not been mentioned. Alot of knots will slip without resistance with PP, fireline or other similar lines. I use many different knots when largemouth fishing and because I use two rods I have to tie these knots many times in a day when switching lures. For this reason I never use any "new" line such as braid. Rapala knot, improved clinch and clinch come to mind. If there is water on Mars then the martians can use some of my jigs to catch fish with. I have sent a few on space missions using braid last year...:dizzy: The palomar knot is the only knot I would trust with braid.

#41 ·
covered in extent here. that dog wont hunt. the assorted threads in this forum all but annoyed me with the knot and preference questions. kinda like what jigman said. chi baby. what you have confidence in is half the battle. if it aint broke cast it out. if it breaks off? then it's gunny's fault lmfao (sorry bud, can;t resist)alright.gif

#47 ·
It's officialy summah.. the jigster is out of his cave....

Suds..:iagree: with ya on the vanish, total weasal piss.... first tried it as ice fishing leader because the shop was out of seagaur... toatal dog poop... no knot strength, line broke in the middle of the leader. lost a bunch of dinky trout... OK so it didnt like cold.. it soiled it's shorts on trout in the spring too.... tossed it in the barrel to get rid of the bad Karma...

While we're bitchin.... Iron silk.. got talked into using it a few years back.. a gent and world class carp fisheman who shall remain nameless swore by it.... one night three unexplained breakoffs ( fish were only teen sized and the line was 20# class) and I tossed the stuff wrote a nasty letter to the manufacturer and respooled with Ande... what was I thinking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.