Outrigger advice please - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Outrigger advice please

Hey folks --

I have a 21' CC boat that I use in the upper Chesapeake. I've become frustrated w/ the limited spread of my rodholders (when trolling) and am considering getting an outrigger of some sort. I've seen 2 types: 1. a simple contraption that fits in the existing rod holder and puts the rod at a 90 degree angle away from boat, and 2. a telescoping type rigger that extends from 6' to 15'.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 01:21 PM

I think whats easiest and cheapest in most every case is just planer boards. They extend farther then outriggers and if you build them your self cost under 100 bucks for a pair (or cheaper). They extend typically about 20 feet or so on each side, and you can clip 3-4 lines on each board with 5 foot spread between each. Just type in planer boards on google to find out more. They are basically just wooden planks screwed together with angled fronts that make them 'swim' to the left and right (specific to each side)

Heres an explanatory link

http://www.execulink.com/~environm/F...anerboard.html

You want to get planer boards consisting of 3 boards at least, the 2 board planers that fold up and are plastic (like riviera) perform extremely poorly and arent worth the money. 10 inch boards should suffice, and while taking up more space, you wont be disappointed.

Here's some specs to make your own:

http://www.quintefishing.com/make_yo...ner_boards.htm

However, Id consider these too small to work good. I'd lengthen the dimensions a bit, and add a third board. 8 inch board width sounds good though. Adding a pole on top with a flag helps for visibility.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I have a pair of 15 telescoping fiberglass outriggers I use on occasion when i'm trolling live bait alone and need to get a good spread, spend the money on a pair that have their own mounts, it's worth it,if you mount them yourself make sure to use at least a 1" backing board, prefferably glassed in place, they have several advatanges over planer boards(which I also have) the most obvious is ease of operation, with planer boards it's difficult to stop the boat once a fish is hooked without haveing massive tangles and maybe even fowling the main board lines on the prop, on out riggers the lines are up out of the way, so even while adrift there are few tangles, another, thing , I like to sometimes run 1 outrigger, and troll one in the prop wash as a flatline while the third is a flat line along the gunnel, so the other side of the boat is free of all obstructions... another advantage of outriggers is the action they give a bait or lure, surfce lures are great on outriggers....live bait is pulled and jerked, I troll live eels with them with an electric motor, there's nothing like the sond of a outrgger clip snapping off in the dead of the night followed by a singing drag!
.... good luck.

Roc