Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Will there be a Striper Season 2020??

15K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
So as I have been patiently waiting to get out and go fishing i've been reading all types of articles on stripers, and what I found was a lil depressing. Not gonna make this post long and drawn but it looks like the numbers are down and the powers that be are looking to further the regulations on fishing possibly shutting it down for a year or shortening the season maybe a different slot size. Just wondering what every ones take is. North Atlantic states marine commission is a good place to start reading if interested or just Google striped bass decline. Striped Bass Matter.

#3 · (Edited)
The info from Jessica Best's Hudson River Striped Bass Cooperative Angler Program is not good - the ASMFC 2018 SSB (spawning stock biomass) assessment indicates that the SSB is 30% below the target - the Technical Committee has been tasked with developing plans to reduce harvest and mortality.

Harvest is not something we recreational anglers want to hear, because lowing the # from 1 leaves only 0 - a "Catch & release" fishery which is OK with me except that, data on recreational release shows an unacceptably high mortality rate - if we want to continue fishing, we need to move to circle hooks and learn how to properly revive fish before releasing them - the data suggest that using circle hooks and proper revival could reduce mortality by >50% - it's up to us to help save the fishery

Further compounding the issue - DEC is considering extending the commercial season by 2 weeks - why? because the commercial fisherman have not attained the allowed catch for 9 of the last 10 years - the idea to allow the commercial fleet more fishing time to catch their limit - this is counter intuitive considering the ASMFC says the stock is depleted - more fishing will only deplete it further - we can voice our opinion and hopefully stop this change - but you have to register you position with Carol Hoffman - do it today!

Carol Hoffman
205 North Belle Mead Road, Suite 1
East Setauket, NY 11733
Phone: 631-444-0476
Email: carol.hoffman@dec.ny.gov

#5 ·
I also had an email discussion with Jessica about the stress the fish are under during the river spawning ,as discussed above the technique used to release the fish . Netting ,fish flopping around on the deck looking for scale ruler then looking for camera for the best picture this has to be done for every fish on most boats .This fish has little chance of surviving even when it swims away this scenario happens way to often . I fill out the log book for the DEC each season which requires length and weight I discussed this with Jessica that I would much prefer using a de hooking tool on the side of the boat never touching the fish and estimate the S&W . She agreed . We all can work together and hopefully educate others about the decline of the stripe bass population and better ways of releasing .

#6 ·
The fish catch and release mortality is garbage data and comes from the trollers in the Cheseapeake where the water is warmer and these fish are dragged in while the boat is till moving. This data is also 10 years old. If C and R mortality was as high as they say then the Hudson should have hundreds of dead floaters and I'd be hard pressed to say I see more thand 2 or three a season.

The decreased biomass ?? I do not believe it since last year among several of our boats out there we had our best year ever. I also saw thick schools like I haven't seen in years so I disagree with their assessment and would like more info on how they come to that conclusion.

#8 ·
The fish catch and release mortality is garbage data and comes from the trollers in the Cheseapeake where the water is warmer and these fish are dragged in while the boat is till moving. This data is also 10 years old. If C and R mortality was as high as they say then the Hudson should have hundreds of dead floaters and I'd be hard pressed to say I see more thand 2 or three a season.

The decreased biomass ?? I do not believe it since last year among several of our boats out there we had our best year ever. I also saw thick schools like I haven't seen in years so I disagree with their assessment and would like more info on how they come to that conclusion.
I'm out a lot less then you and I saw more then a few fish floating from gut hooked , poorly released stressed fish might live for a while that's why we don't see them . Most of us could help by improving release method .

#7 ·
From DEC Higher mortality on our spawning stock is definitely something we need to consider and I appreciate your point of view on it. Our fish are part of the breeding stock and many times are caught pre-spawn, which is especially not helpful in bolstering the spawn if they are not surviving to do so. It is also documented that spawning fish are generally more susceptible to stress while they are in spawning condition. This probably has to do with that fact that their resources and energy are going into migration and reproduction as well as dealing with the transition to fresh water and warmer water temperatures. All of these factors make their chance of surviving catch and release fishing even less than on the coast.

I really like the suggestion of using a de-hooker on the side of the boat, I will start suggesting that. If you are concerned about recording information for the Cooperative Angler Program, just record whatever information you are able to without bringing the fish out of water. If you want to release them boat-side, I completely understand. It will still be useful information to see when you fish and the numbers that you catch.

the DEC,

#10 ·
One thing I would support would be to start the season later to allow the spawning fish get up north and spawn. Also....maybe not allow fishing in some of the well know spawning grounds which would be pretty easy to do. Unfortunately DEC really does not do their job...they spend more time worrying about whether your boat passes inspection than protecting the bass. We personally complained to them about several charters in the Kingston area dragging downrigger balls and treble hooks through cows sitting on the bottom and in spawning areas and they really did not care to investigate it.

For the number of people that fish the number of dead fish is a fraction of what the C&R mortality is suggested to be.

#12 ·
1/5
Skip to main content
Home
powered by Register-Star and The Daily Mail

Welcome, User
Login
Main Menu
Toggle navigation

Search
search site content...

Stripers are here — right on time!

Photo contributed

Jackie Schrowang of Catskill with a nice early season striper.

Larry DiDonato For Columbia-Greene Media
April 19, 2019 01:00 pm Updated: April 19, 2019 01:23 pm

The spring striper run in our area has been on since the beginning of the month. It got off to a good start with 18 to 28-inch fish being caught in fair numbers well south of Catskill down just north of.

Jackie Schrowang of Catskill was fishing this past Sunday and boated three nice linesiders. Larger fish are starting to be landed in the 30 plus-inch range. Tom Gentalen of River Basin Sport Shop reports a 40-incher caught in the Saugerties area earlier this week.

Tom says, “Best striper catches we’ve heard about have been from Esopus Meadows, Rondout Creek/Kingston, and Glasco sections. But, during the past few days, all indications were of a strong surge of activity just to the north of Catskill. Germantown still seems to be a hot spot for shore-bound anglers.”

If you do get a chance to fish the river, bloodworms and herring are the baits of choice if you can find them. Catching herring has been spotty in our area.

Of course, fishing success and bait availability were severely hampered by turbid conditions from recent heavy rain with a lot of debris reported at boat launches and floating in creeks and rivers. Tom says he has both fresh dead and frozen herring at his shop in Catskill and recommends using chunk bait.

Replace your bait every ten minutes or so to keep the scent strong, to make it easier for stripers to zero in in the murky depths. Most anglers chunk it in two or three sections but there’s another great way to fish dead herring; filet it and use one section with head, entrails, and one side of the skin, then filet the other half keeping just flesh, skin, and the tail. That gives you two usable baits. When fished on the bottom, tidal action will cause fluttering of the silvery sides. That in conjunction with the scent of the fresh dead or frozen herring will make a nice offering.

Further North, Kevin Ryan of Hudson River Bait in Rensselear, reports the season is still just starting. Schoolies plus a few 30-inch stripers are being caught on blood and sand worms, and herring. Kevin reports some of the first schools of herring are beginning to arrive up north. Further south in Coxsackie, local fishermen are having some success scapping herring as well.

A challenge facing Hudson River striper fishermen at the moment has nothing to do with the current movement or lack thereof of stripers and herring. From April 29 through May 2 the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) will meet in Arlington Virginia which is likely to have a major impact of future stripers regulations in the Hudson River.

The agenda on April 30 for its Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board includes review of their recently disclosed, “2018 Benchmark Stock Assessment,” which showed reduced stocks of striped bass along our eastern coast. One result touted was an estimated 10 percent mortality rate for released recreationally caught striped bass.

The Atlantic Striped Bass Board’s Technical Committee has been tasked, “…to estimate the level of removals needed to reduce fishing mortality to the target and threshold levels by 2020 and to provide one example recreational bag and size limit combination that would achieve those conditions on the coast and in the Chesapeake Bay.”

That’s regulatory speak for considering legal options to reduce the take and mortality of stripers.

Of particular concern when that is the goal are regulations concerning mortality of “female spawning stock biomass” which can have a drastic impact on our local striper season and others that take place during the spawning run. The assessment includes findings pointing to a failure of previous regulations like the current slot limit for the Hudson River, to improve striper stocks.

NYS DEC has one person that serves as NY’s representative on the ASMFC, its Striped Bass Management Board and its Technical Committee.

It’s premature to speculate what will come out of the commission’s spring meeting, but Hudson River Striper fisherman would do well to keep well informed as it moves forward with potential reg changes.

#14 ·
I just heard some about NYS shutting down the Entire River for Spring Fishing for the next couple of years , dont know how true it is and have NO Facts , but it does seem some what relevant to Bio-Mass reduction in NYS.
Long Island .

It maybe happening, we'll soon see.

#15 ·
Its official Virginia has closed its 2019 stripe bass season largest spawning grounds Chesapeake bay . I love fishing the Hudson been doing it for many years but honestly this can't be good for spawning fish who knows what happens to a big female full of eggs after a ten minute battle ,netting lifting weighing and photo's taken yes it swims away but does it live or lay its eggs . I've been trying to release all fish caught on my boat using a dehooking tool on the side of the boat . Time will tell enjoy this year .

#19 ·
As a ex-pat of the once great state of New York. I have to say never say never.
Look what they have done to your Second Amendment rights in NY. In the dark of night your Emperor Coumo with the stroke of his pen made all gun owners in NY persona non grata and expressed that to the media. What a beautiful state to be driven into the ground the way it is. As a non-resident hunter, firearms that are legal in the other states I hunt, are illegal in NY

Be careful and vigilant and don't think it cant happen

Tight lines!

#20 ·
every big fish i catch goes on a boga grip i attach to my dock line, and gets revived boat side for as long as it takes for the fish to swim and try to sound bottom on its own. Also, bass are head first eaters. They inhale rather than bite. this means most of the time they swallow the bait. Barbless j hooks are much easier to remove than circle hooks in the gullet. I use a 3/4" dowel with a rounded forked end to remove the hook. I might have seen one or two fish not make it in 4-5 years using this method

#22 ·
the board of ASMFC plans to explore a range of stock management options, including size limits and a coastwide circle hook requirement that will be instituted in 2020.

In-line circle hooks are known to reduce striped bass release mortality because they are more likely to hook onto the fish’s lip rather than its gut or gills. The stock assessment concluded that 48 per cent of striped bass mortalities came from recreational catch and releases, making it the largest cause of mortality for the species.

#24 ·
the board of ASMFC plans to explore a range of stock management options, including size limits and a coastwide circle hook requirement that will be instituted in 2020.

In-line circle hooks are known to reduce striped bass release mortality because they are more likely to hook onto the fish's lip rather than its gut or gills. The stock assessment concluded that 48 per cent of striped bass mortalities came from recreational catch and releases, making it the largest cause of mortality for the species.
I'm not so sure about the circle hooks being better.....I find they gut hook quit a bit and are WAY harder to get out than a standard hook.

The CR Mortality data is crap and comes from Maryland...based on mostly trolling catches in warmer water.....of course those fish aren't gonna survive after being dragged and drowned while being pulled in.

#23 ·
Last week, Virginia fisheries managers decided to do away with the annual spring trophy season, allowing anglers to take only two fish a day that fit into a 20- to 28-inch slot limit. That season runs from May 16 to June 15. Also last week, natural resources and environmental secretaries from Virginia, Connecticut and Massachusetts sent letters to ASMFC chairman James S. Gilmore Jr. urging him to take swift action.

The ASMFC will go on the road this summer to hold public hearings on how a cut-back could be accomplished. Any decisions made this fall would be activated in 2020.

Among several options listed : minimum size limits for both the coastal and Chesapeake Bay fisheries, a slot limit that would prohibit the harvest of fish longer than 40 inches, the mandatory use of circle hooks when fishing with bait to reduce released fish mortality and a provision that would allow states to use seasonal closures to reduce their catch numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.