Fact of the week - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Fact of the week

I was thinking, maybe we could start this section and one person post only one fact a day that is related to marine life. It will be educational and everyone can race to be the first one to post "The Fact of The Day." But remember, just one person per day. What do you guys and gals think?? I'll start it off with this fact.

September 21, 2005
During their lifetime, oysters change their sex from male to female and back several times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Lunker

great idea!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 PM

September 21, 2005
On this day in history in 1982 . Albert Mcreynolds hooked into his world record. Bertha Bass 78 pounds 8 ounces. On the Vermont Avenue Jetty at 8: 30 P.M.
I would bet Albert will be on that Jetty tonight. Al likes to go to Atlantic City around the anniversary of his catch. This time of year he fishes longport and brigantine beaches. If you run into him say hello. He is a fishermen's, fisherman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 12:58 AM

The oceans contain 99 percent of the living space on the planet.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 PM

Since the architecture and chemistry of coral are very close to human bone, coral has been used to replace bone grafts in helping human bones to heal quickly and cleanly.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:37 AM

The highest tides in the world are at the Bay of Fundy, which separates New Brunswick from Nova Scotia. At some times of the year the difference between high and low tide is 16.3 m, taller than a three-story building. 16.3 meters = 53.4776903 feet
Hi Dobbs
Old 09-27-2005, 04:02 AM

Thats where I fish Jim, The average difference in high and low is around 40 ft. If your down to the flats when it comes in ,you got to move right along to keep ahead of it,,,
Old 09-27-2005, 04:23 AM

I'll see if I can put a pic here.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tried to but it is taking too long,,,got to go to work,,try tonite again
Old 09-27-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
difference in high and low is around 40 ft
Old 09-28-2005, 02:20 PM

2200 years ago in the Egyptian city of Alexandria. Here there lived a man named Eratosthenes. Among many things he was also the director of the great library of Alexandria, where one day he read in a papyrus book that in the southern frontier outpost of Syene, at noon on June 21 vertical sticks cast no shadows. On this the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, shadows of temple columns grew shorter. At noon, they were gone. The sun was directly overhead.
It was an observation that someone else might easily have ignored.
Eratosthenes had the presence of mind to do an experiment, actually to observe whether in Alexandria vertical sticks cast shadows near noon on June 21. And, he discovered, sticks do.
Eratosthenes asked himself how, at the same moment, a stick in Syene could cast no shadow and a stick in Alexandria, far to the north, could cast a pronounced shadow.
Eratosthenes knew that the distance between Alexandria and Syene was approximately 800 kilometers, because he hired a man to pace it out.
The only possible answer, he saw was, that the surface of the Earth is curved. Not only that: the greater the curvature, the greater the difference in the shadow lengths. The Sun is so far away that its rays are parallel when they reach the Earth. Sticks placed at different angles to the Sun's rays cast shadows of different lengths. For the observed difference in the shadow lengths, the distance between Alexandria and Syene had to be about seven degrees along the surface of the Earth; that is, if you imagine the sticks extending down to the center of the Earth, they would there intersect at an angle of seven degrees. Seven degrees is something like one-fiftieth of three hundred and sixty degrees, the full circumference of the Earth. Eight hundred kilometers times 50 is 40000 kilometers: so that must be the circumference of the Earth. This is the right answer. Eratosthenes' only tools were sticks, eyes, feet and brains, plus a taste for experiment.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Treasurer Peter Costello urged Australians to "do their patriotic duty" and have more children but it seems they were doing it anyway, just for fun. A new study shows the birth rate hitting its highest level in seven years.

A study by Australian National University demographer Peter McDonald showed the country's birth rate at 1.77 per woman in 2004, its highest level since 1997. McDonald believes the rate will stay around 1.8 for the next 5-10 years.

"We've been calling for policies to support work and family for several years, and also there's been a great deal of discussion about, 'if you wait too long, there's a chance that you won't have the baby'," McDonald said.

"That kind of public discussion has been pretty prominent and I think that has had its effect," he said. During a budget speech in May last year, Costello urged Australians to have more children, telling couples to "have one for your husband, one for your wife and one for your country."

Costello's comments came as this country of 20.3 million people struggles to deal with an aging population. The government's Productivity Commission has forecast that one in four Australians will be aged over 65 by 2045.

Old McDonald had a farm E I E I O
And on that farm he had a kid E I E I O
With a baby here, and a baby there
Old McDonald had a kid E I E I O

Old 09-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

The lowest known point on Earth, called the Challenger Deep, is 11,034 m deep, in the Marianas Trench in the western Pacific. To get an idea of how deep that is, if you could take Mt. Everest and place it at the bottom of the trench there would still be over a mile of ocean above it. The Dead Sea is the Earth's lowest land point with an elevation of 396 m below sea level.
The average depth of the Atlantic Ocean, with its adjacent seas, is 3,332 m; without them it is 3,926 m. The greatest depth, 8,381 m, is in the Puerto Rico Trench.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Small striped bass are eaten by other fish such as Atlantic tomcod, Atlantic cod, silver hake and larger striped bass. Adult striped bass have few predators except humans.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Famous People?s Views On The Bible

Famous People?s Views On The Bible

From presidents to sportsmen??.

George Washington.
"It's impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."

John Jefferson.
"A studious perusal of the Sacred Volume will make better citizens, better fathers, and better husbands."

John Quincy Adams.
"The Bible is the first and almost the only book deserving of universal attention."

Andrew Jackson.
"The Bible is the rock on which our Republic rests."

Woodrow Wilson.
"A man has deprived himself of the best there is in the world who has deprived of this." (a knowledge of the Bible).

Herbert Hoover.
"There is no other book so various as the Bible, nor one so full of concentrated wisdom."

Ulysses S. Grant.
"To the influence of this Book we are indebted for the progress made in civilisation, and to this we must look as our guide in the future."

John Bacon.
"What can I do with respect to the next world without my Bible?"

Napoleon Bonaparte.
"The Bible is more than a Book; it is a living being with an action; a power which invades everything that opposes its extension."

Alexander Cruden.
"All other books are of little importance in comparison with the Holy Scriptures."

Daniel Webster.
"The Bible is the Book of faith, and a Book of doctrine, and a Book of morals, and a Book of religion, of special revelation from God; but it is also a Book which teaches man his responsibility, his own dignity, and his equality with his fellow men."

George Muller.
"I believe that the one chief reason that I have been kept in happy useful service is that I have been a lover of Holy Scripture. It has been my habit to read the Bible through four times a year; in a prayerful spirit, to apply it to my heart, and practice what I find there. I have been for sixty-nine years a happy man; happy, happy, happy."

Julia Crawford.
"The English Bible - a book which if everything else in our language should perish, would alone suffice to show the whole extent of its beauty and power."

Anna Bartlett Warner
"Jesus loves me - this I know, For the Bible tells me so."

Students of the Natural Sciences, Great Britain.
"We, the undersigned, Students of the Natural Sciences, desire to express our sincere regret that researchers into scientific truth are perverted by some in our own times into occasion for casting doubt upon the truth and authenticity of the Holy Scripture. We conceive that it is impossible for the Word of God written in the book of nature, and God's word written in Holy Scripture, to contradict one another. Physical science is not complete, but is only in a condition of progress - Signed by 800 scientists of Great Britain, recorded in the Bodelian Library, Oxford."

George Barna (A Christian trend-watcher).
"Until people see the Bible as a practical guidebook for their everyday existence, it will probably continue to remain on the shelf."

Dave Johnson (US, Decathlon, Bronze Medal, 1992 Olympics).
"The Bible has shown me that with all my effort, all my discipline, I will never be able be make myself perfect. If I want to know God and be a part of his kingdom, then God himself is going to have to remake me... I'm always trying to give 100 percent to God - anything less would be unacceptable as far as CHRIST is concerned. He went in and gave 100 percent of himself for us - he died for us!"

Michael Chang ( US Tennis, Youngest man to win a Grand Slam singles title).
"My first priority is to be a Christian. I want to portray a Christ-like image. People may say, 'What's that?' when there are things going on that give Christianity a bad name. But I look at it this way: When people read the Bible ... they see that it expresses a lot of love, a lot of giving, a lot of peace. It's something I feel the people of this world - especially the young kids - need."

Mother Theresa.
"The Bible is the word of God. It is the most valuable gift God ever given to mankind. The Bible is my best friend and my best partner."

Florence Griffith Joyner (The world's fastest woman runner).
"I read my Bible every day. At the starting point in the track, I pray to God, 'please run with me, and help me to win', and after winning, I thank God and pray, 'thank God for giving me victory'."

Raisa Gorbachov (Wife of Ex-president of Russia).
"The Bible has major part in keeping the world peace. I consider the chance I got to read the Bible, as a great privilege in my life."
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 AM

NO WAR HAS BEEN FOUGHT WHERE BOTH COUNTRIES HAD A McDONALDS

THE 16th CENTURY ASTRONOMER TYCHO BRAHE LOST HIS NOSE IN A DUEL WITH ONE OF HIS STUDENTS OVER A MATHEMATICAL COMPUTATION. HE WORE A SILVER NOSE FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.