Line Choice.... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Official Member

Default Line Choice....

A question for those with experience.... Can you pull umbrella rigs on 25# mono or is it too light? Would there be too much stretch? Or can I pull planer boards on braided? I have heard that it slips but not sure if that's true. I fish an inland resavoir and I am on a budget so I wanted to put one type of line that could serve both trolling purposes on my reels for the upcomming spring. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Line Choice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGV16 View Post
A question for those with experience.... Can you pull umbrella rigs on 25# mono or is it too light? Would there be too much stretch? Or can I pull planer boards on braided? I have heard that it slips but not sure if that's true. I fish an inland resavoir and I am on a budget so I wanted to put one type of line that could serve both trolling purposes on my reels for the upcomming spring. Thanks in advance for any advice.
There is info in the search engine about this and plenty more.I can't coment on this cause i don;t know about it.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Line Choice....

One can use planer boards with braid, you just need the proper releases. If you are talking in line planer boards, one source would be Off Shore Tackle, and I'm sure others have them. If your talking regular planer boards run off a mast, there are many quality releases. As for 25 lb mono and umbrella rigs, I'd generally recommend something heaver. You could be OK with the 25 lb mono, depending on the rig. I'd recommend "smaller" u-rigs, and baits (attractors), that cause low drag. A good choice would be a small diameter u-rig with 4-6 buck tail teasers. You also may consider a light daisy chain, as the lack of arms cause much less drag.