29 lb. Hybrid? Opinions please... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:42 PM

Default 29 lb. Hybrid? Opinions please...

Hey Guys,

I live in the Midwest and would like to get some opinions on if a fish I caught was a hybrid or striper. Both hybrids and stripers reside in this tailwater. I released the fish, so, in the long run it doesn't really matter. But, if it was a hybrid it was possibly a new world record. No joke. Here's a fish story......

A couple of buddies and I were fishing our local honeyhole. Got in the water about 7:00 pm and fished with them until around 11:00 pm. It was a weeknight, so, we couldn't stay out too late. The fish weren't biting and my two buddies had to leave around 11:00. They had to drive about an hour to get home. I live within 30 minutes, so, I decided to stay another hour. We had thrown flies and stick baits during our four hours of fishing with no love reciprocated from the fish. Flies and stickbaits = no love, maybe they're down deeper.

I tied on a big 'ol Sassy Shad and told myself, "Self, those fish are in here." An hour passed by....no love. I'll give it 30 more minutes.

I positioned the boat in the fast current with a jumbled up mess of a seam to my right, but, a fairly well defined seam behind where warm water is mixing with cool water. Weird water about 40 feet deep. Threw out the Sassy Shad and let it work through the jumbled up mess of a seam down to the transition water. A couple of sharp snaps of the rod and let the bait flutter back down all the while telling myself, "I'm injured, eat me". I talk to myself alot.

Tap, what the??? Threw the rod tip forward setting the hook. Darn, a freaking log way down deep. No, wait the lines going slack, fish on! A fairly short struggle ensued...6-7 minutes. He/she (the fish) was very cordial and came in rather easily. Just a bunch of bulldogging and a couple of short bursts. I was geared with medium / heavy tackle, so, it wasn't an epic battle.

First thing I thought when lipping the fishing and bringing her on board was what a football. The Sassy Shad was in the top of the lip and this beautiful fish was not injured in the least. Is that a hybrid? Surely not. Too big. I'll take a picture for visual proof to my buddies that I'm not full of stuffing. There's no scale / depth proportion to a fish on the bottom of a boat, hopefully, somebody is on the bank and will be kind enough to take a picture for me. My motors' running and I was only 50' out from the bank. Yep, two dudes. "Hey, guys could you take a picture". "Yeah, bring it on" I think was the response. I lowered the fish in the water with a firm grip on the lip and went to the bank. "Holy Crap!" "What you catch that on?" "That's a hog" were the responses received from my two new best friends. Click. One picture. Thanks guys.

I lowered the fish back in the water and shoved off to revive the fish out in the fast current / cold water. No problems. The fish was still full of spunk and gave me a shot of cold water up the nose in response to interupting her dinner time.

The fish had a minimal broken patch near it's pectoral fin. And, it kind of had a tongue patch, but not really. I've caught hybrids up to 8 lbs. and this fish had the dimensions of a hybrid. But, I just don't know. It could have just been a squat / short striper. Digital scale fluctuated between 28 lb. 15 oz and 29 lb. 3 oz.

Whatcha guys think?
Edit* Click for larger picture

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 AM

Default Re: 29 lb. Hybrid? Opinions please...

Wow that is some fish either way. I dont know if you could ever tell without a scale dna study.
Welcome

Yellow bass can be identified because they do not have a tooth patch on their tongue and the second spine of the anal fin is longer than the base of the anal fin.
White bass can be identified because they have a single center tooth patch, and their stripes are faint. On a white bass, the first stripe below the lateral line is not distinct nor complete to tail.
Some striped bass may have broken lines, but the stripes of a fresh hybrid are distinct and definitely broken. The shape of the head can be a distinguishing characteristic between the striped bass and the hybrid bass (wiper)
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 AM

Yeah, I probably should have kept it just to make sure...ooops!

My digital scale may be off....Looking at some of the big hybrid pictures on this site, I don't think my fish was 29 lbs.

I'll just have to go out there and catch her again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Sure looks like one world class hybrid to me...that thing is a hawg! Dimensions and stripes do appear more hybrid than pure.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Veteran Elite

Hybrid Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww
Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM
ISBA Exec

It is a pure strain striper, not a hybrid. Its very fat, obviously eating very well, or has not dropped her load of eggs. Hatchery stripers can have varying degrees broken lines, although not as pronounced as hybrids. Her head is also too big for a hybrid.

Here are a couple of examples: The first shows just a few broken lines on her side and back.

Here is one that is short and fat like yours, it has the football shape of a hybrid.

Still a damn nice fish.

Yaz
Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Hey Yaz,

Thanks for the reply! and thank goodness! I was looking through some of the pictures on this site and noted stripers with broken lines.

I appreciate the information.

Jim
Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
ISBA Exec

Yea,

I believe I would have been miffed if I threw back a record hybrid!!!! It was still a very nice stripe, and good on you on releasing her!!

Yaz
Old 08-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Wiper Guru

That is one fine striper, but I can see why it is confusing. It looks wrong for a striper and wrong for a wiper, but what a joy she must have been to drag aboard. Beautiful catch!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Official Member

That'd make a game warden scratch his head!
Keep up the confusion. Go catch another.