Surf Rod or Salmon/Steelhead Rod? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Surf Rod or Salmon/Steelhead Rod?

I love casting bucktails and plugs from the banks on the tailwaters. Most people use huge 10' to 11' fiberglass surf rods. They are extremely heavy. They usually cast 2-3 oz rigs. I started out real light. I've been using a 10 foot steelhead rod rated at 1-5 oz. I usually use rigs 1-2 oz and have been able to cast about 80-90 yds. I am thinking about getting a real surf rod to be able to cast over 100-130+ yds. So I've been looking at rods. The Shimano Tiralejo 10' med power rated 1-3 oz looks great. But then I started looking at some finer steelhead/salmon rods and there are many rated the same or heavier (2-6 oz). Does anyone know the major differences between high modulous graphite surf rods and high end salmon/steelhead rods of the same power, rating, and length? I figure the steelhead rods will be much lighter, so its very tempting. But those tiralejo's look really nice (haven't had a chance to pick one up yet, so not sure about how heavy it is). Is there a big weight difference? I plan on putting a curado 300 or calcutta 400 on it. Thank you for all the help, and I just want to say this forum is GREAT! Too much rain has ruined the tailwater fishing around here, but this forum helps me deal with the fever!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Surf Rod or Salmon/Steelhead Rod?

The reason you want the surf rod is the catagory of the blank. Salmon/steelhead rods have a more limber flex to them, the surf has more backbone. Although rated for the same weight, as far as castability, the hook setting power is what you are looking for. Salmon rods have a more forgiving flex so as not to rip the lips off more delicate fish. Surf rods transmit power in a directly opposite way, they would rip the head off a salmon/steelhead. You want the power of a surf rod for the tougher mouths of a Striper in order the get the point of the hook to penitrate.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:50 PM
First Mate

Yup Id listen to the Gunny he knows his stuff when it comes to rods, Welcome to the Site

Bryan
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the info Gunny. Ive never had the opportunity to pick up and hold a graphite surf rod before. Only some custom fiberglass ones and they were WAY too heavy for my liking. If they were they only other option, I would very gladly stick with my salmon/steelhead rods. Do the graphite surf rods weigh any more than I should expect the same length steelhead/salmon rod to weigh of the same power and rating? 300 and 400 size reels weigh much less than conventional reels usually mounted on surfcasting rods. Will they be too small for a graphite surf rod? Thanks very much again.

Ryan
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM

Graphite is a lot lighter than glass, too light in my opinion. I grew up with old original Brown Lami's that weigh twice what a modern glass rod weighs. I like them so much, I buy every one I can get at flea markets and yard sales. I restore and rebuild them for personal use.
The reels you mentioned would match fine to almost any graphite surf stick.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 PM

Thank you very much for the posts Gunny.

Ryan
Old 03-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

When is fiberglass a good choice? I made an 11'6" honey colored lamiglass. It has an underwhelming cast with 25# mono. It casts funny too.

I intended it as a bait fishing rod. One thing I have noticed is that It's virtually indestructible. Not a great caster though. Gona try using braid.

I think for rod #2, I'll go lite weight everything, as maybe the guides I got were too heavy.

I'd love to know where I can get 70mm stripper guides. Can't find em online.

tight lines!