help, someone, anyone, mercury? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
First Mate

Default help, someone, anyone, mercury?

So I pick up a used tilt and trim on ebay the other day and I asked the guy how the unit works and if it leaks. He says no leaks, works 100% but its used. Ok. I can live with that, he's got a high seller rating so I go for it. Seeing how I couldn't find a mechanic who would come and do it I decide to tackle this myself. After about 3 hours removing my unit and an hour and a half installing the one picked up, you could imaging my surprise when the moment of truth comes and I lower the engine to find that it leaks worse then the one I just took off!!!
If it ended there I would probably be happy. But this is me we are talking about here...
So I try and find the bright side and tell myself that it wasn't so hard to take off and it just needs an O-ring kit that I'm sure I can get. Not that big a deal. Lets move to next project. Changing the shift/throttle control. I decided to change this for 2 reasons. 1 the one I had was ugly and 2 towards the end of the last season it felt like sometimes it would "miss" when I put it in gear. Now, taking that control box out proved to be more of a pain in the ass then tilt/trim. I don't even know how long it took but after I changed it (mind you I kept the same cables and didn't touch other end of the cables that are on the engine) I throw the ear muffs on start the engine and still it won't go in gear!? Now that I'm done complaining this is where I need help. On a 200 merc black max the shift and throttle cables are on the side of the engine with the throttle cable being on top. The shift cable slides back and forth and moves a bar underneath that looks like its underneath the middle of the engine block. I can't get to good of a look at it but it looks like there is hole on the end that I think spring maybe belongs in.? I don't know. I hoping someone here does. The cables themselves look fine so I don't think they need to be replaced. But I can't figure out why she won't go in gear. Someone help,
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: help, someone, anyone, mercury?

Does anybody no what I'm talking about?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 PM

Hey Cheech, is your boat on a trailer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Nah.. its on blocks at the marina.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I've got a few things to do this morning... I'll try and talk you through the whole procedure at lunch.... I've also got a link to a great on line parts store.... all factory parts... anything you need
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM
First Mate

thanks roc. I was hoping this post would catch your eye.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Lunker

want to speak to my brother? he replaced on his boat?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
First Mate

sure
Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'll let you talk to the brother before I spend a half an hour typing... good luck.\
http://www.marinepartsman.com/Mercur...something.html
Parts link
Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

From the top.... anytime the lower unit is removed, the shifter MUST be put in FORWARD gear....

Anytime you change a control box, the cables should be disconnected and then reinstalled.....

PM sent..
Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
First Mate

Maybe that was my first mistake. I never removed the lower unit.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I thought I had read that yuou had removed the lower unit...I thought that ypu might have to change the water pump, because you do not need to remove it to change the trim pump/piston assy. as you found out....
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
First Mate

I was told that you should replace the water pump every 2 or 3 years. I would say this is the 2 year and it seems to work fine. I get a good stream of water that comes out of the engine.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Replacing the water pump every two years is the cheapest insurance you will ever buy.... the best way to remember ( at least here in Mass. ) is that most registrations are for two years.. so when you renew... re pump... that being said, I replace mine every year,I spend alot of time in extremly shallow water, kicking up clams, mud and sand....
Had I not changed the water pump this season, I would not have found the problem with my gearcase, the oil looked normal in the fall when I winterized it, the tip off was the binding of the shaft as I spun on the new pump..... upon disassembely, I found a broken pinion gear and two teeth missing from the forward gear as well as a missing tooth on the reverse gear.... that would have been a tow job for sure.... thats why we perform maintenance...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 AM
DiRtY Huh-Ka

oh my god !!! i would be heated if someone sold me that thing and it leaked that bad... thats why i dont like ebay cuz people lie to get money!
If your going to buy engine parts i would suggest brand new... in the end its worth it....