Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Newbie with questions

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kansasmedic 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I live in Kansas, which does not have any stripers. But I am looking at spending some time on Beaver Lake near Rogers, Arkansas.

I have never fished for striper but I've done plenty of white bass, crappie, catfish, black bass, ect fishing. I recently got a boat and I am getting into the lake fishing thing. I always was a bank fisherman prior being a boat owner.

I don't want to go with a striper guide if I can. I am big 'I can do it' type of person. I want to figgure it out. I just need some help.

I need the basics.:BenNudd:

I assume you need heavier tackle... what pound line?

How do you find fish? Structure? Depth? ect. Do you have to have a fish finder? If you do have a fish finder how do you use it to your advantage.

I'm not big into trolling.

Do you fish the bottom or do you cast for them.

I would like to start out with live bait then move to artifical when I'm catching fish. Is shad the key bait? How do you fish them. How do you net shad in a clear deep lake?

I am driving 3 hours for the trip one way and I would like any info possible so I don't waist time.

I really appriciate all the help and advice. Anyone fishing Beaver Lake, I would love any insight.

By the way... GREAT SITE.thumbsup.gif

Seth

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Seth
Glad to have you aboard. Welcome
Thats a lot of questions. Too many for Superbowl Sunday. :wink1:
First things first... Kansas does have stripers. Heres a rudimentary page that needs serious updating but has a lot of info on stockings in the respective reservoirs.
Ill fix it sometime next week hopefully.
http://stripers247.com/Kansas.htm

Also Read the stickies in the stripers 101 forum and start with stout tackle.

#3 ·
The way I understand it is...

You need heavy equipment with 20 lb line.

Presenting the bait to the fish is paramount.

Shad is the #1 live bait option w/ shad imitations being #1 for artifical.

?s

Do birds show you where the fish are on a land locked lake?

Do stripers suspend in water like crappie?

Not knowing the lake and fishing without a locator, how would one fish a lake in the spring. Would one key in on point near deep river channel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.