Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake Cumberland KY striper report

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jarrodcombs 
#1 ·
Team Smack went to Lake Cumberland last weekend. Found the stripers in the jumps in the back end of a creek arm. The stripers were keyed in on small 2 inch threadfin shad. The only lure they would hit was the Shallow Gizz 3. We tried Gizz 4's but the stripers would only follow it back to the boat. We caught several stripers in the 10 to 12 lb range. That night we fished the same area. Todd caught 3 on Deep Diving Red Head Gizz 4's. I got the skunk on me that night. The next day, went back to the same area. The conditions had changed with cloudy skies and very windy. We tried some bottom fishing but only caught 2 channel cats. We fished that area again that night with Deep Diving Red Heads but didn't get a bite. We tried the main lake but skunked there also. We then headed to the mouth of another creek and we both caught nice stripers on Deep Diving Red Head Gizz 4's. The last day, we went back to the mouth of the creek we fished the night before. Got there and see birds diving. It's a small school of stripers that were moving fast. We couldn't keep up with them so we left them and tried to find the birds again. Didn't find the birds, but did find a school of stripers busting shad on the surface. We fished this school off and on for 3 hrs. The shallow Gizz 3 was the only lure they would hit again. We ended up catching many stripers until it got dark and the school went down. We fished this same area at night again with the Deep Diving Red Head Gizz 4's and Todd got two more nice stripers. Here is the biggest one I caught when the stripers were in the jumps. Note the Shallow Gizz 3 in the fishes mouth.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.