Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

worm questions...

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  KayakStripers 
#1 ·
Doc Z's input on the herring vs. worm concept made me think of three worm questions...and thanx to all in advance...

Is there a location where worms are more/less effective...that is the saltwater portion of the Hudson, fresh, brackish?

Have any of you tried any of the artificial blood or sandworms such as Gulp, Exude etc.?

And...finally...have any of you tried worms (live or fake) with the "tube 'n worm" setup folks have been using in saltwater?

#2 ·
South of Kingston they primarily feed on bloods and sands. After the first week of May these are different fish than the ones that chase the herring. There also is not much herring in the main river south of Kingston so the worms are enticing. Kingston and North they primarily hit herring and rarely bloods. When a school of stripe decides to eat a particular meal the will RARELY feed on anything else even if you drop it on their head. Trolling rapallas ans tubes do work but that is because they are reaction strikes. Haverstraw Bay and south Bunker works well.

#3 ·
We are stuck using live or fresh chunk herring from shore here in Cornwall. Surprisingly they are easy to catch In May . I saw we are basically forced to use herring here are because of the damn perch. I don't even think a sinker hits the river floor before they swarm on the worm like piranhas

#10 ·
On the Gulp subject... I usually do great with Gulp with most stripers; not in the Hudson. Some people posted last year that they were catching with Gulp bloodworm as a backup for regular bloodworm. It's probably best to start with bloodworm/bunker and then start experimenting more if there is a good bite.

I've also tried tube and worm in the Hudson (with Gulp). Great luck in other areas such as the Housatonic in CT, but no luck in the Hudson. My only striper catches in the Hudson have been with stretch 25's above 55 degrees. I'm going to join the worm wagon this season I guess.

I had a worm question. Will any bagged bloodworm work or are the large bloodworms from Maine significantly more productive? I was considering buying 5 dozen jumbo bloodworms from online but not sure how to keep that many worms alive for the rest of the season...

#13 ·
vinnyslakehouse in Wappingers.

I agree, I have never gotten a hit on Herring in the Newburgh area, but Bloods are not indigenous to the river and those big fish are eating something. There are a lot of eels in the river and I've heard of people using them. Not sure if they work as well (or at all).

#14 ·
vinnyslakehouse in Wappingers.

I agree, I have never gotten a hit on Herring in the Newburgh area, but Bloods are not indigenous to the river and those big fish are eating something. There are a lot of eels in the river and I've heard of people using them. Not sure if they work as well (or at all).
The fish in NB bay are mainly from the Chesapeake area as opposed to the ones that come up earlier and follow the herring............The Chesapeake area is loaded with blood and sands and a main part of their diet.

#18 ·
While I was pulling the boat out over in Wappinger, there was a guy on the dock with a bucket full of herring he just pulled out of the creek. He told me he's been hitting them the past few nights on both chunk and whole herring.

I wonder if they only feed on them near the shallows and in the evening.

#19 ·
While I was pulling the boat out over in Wappinger, there was a guy on the dock with a bucket full of herring he just pulled out of the creek. He told me he's been hitting them the past few nights on both chunk and whole herring.

I wonder if they only feed on them near the shallows and in the evening.
Yes...there is a contingency of larger fish that hang out on the bottom and do not school....they will come up to the creek mouths and feed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.