Replacing floor on an aluminum boat - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Jozai

Default Replacing floor on an aluminum boat

I have a 1973 Crestliner 16ft aluminum runabout and am replacing the floor. I don't want to use carpet. Two questions:
1. Should I use pressure treated plywood or marine plywood?
2. Instead of carpeting I am thinking of applying the plastic/ABS panels that you can buy from Lowes/Home Depot onto the plywood. Will this work as a boat floor?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Replacing floor on an aluminum boat

1. Use marine grade plywood. Do not use pressure treated plywood.
2. Not sure about this, but it would add considerable weight (depending on the thickness), and would probably be slippery when wet. You might want to consider brushing on some fiberglass resin with nonskid added.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Jozai

Thanks CB:
A blog from another site had a series of blogs describing how pressure treated wood actually caused corrosion in the aluminum.

I hadn't thought about fiberglass resin. What about the paint/surface material used on a shop floor? That seems very easy to use and I believe you can incorporate non-skid particles into the paint.

I also saw somewhere that suggested using the truck bed spray-on coating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Cardboard box gave you a good starting point... PT will soak up water and weighs a ton.... if you take the time to seal the underside and edges with epoxy paint or resin, the floor will outlast the boat... tape ( fiberglass) each seam.. be sure to calk all the screws to keep water out of the plywood..
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Jozai

Thanks Roccus. Sealing edges is one item that I probably wouldn't have thought to do.

After sealing the edges and all screw holes what do you think about the spray-in truck bedliner as the top coat? I want something that would be safe to hose out the inside of the boat after a fishing trip without causing rot in the floor board.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM
First Mate

Beside leaching out toxic chemicals, PT plywood is cheap crap, which was never intended to exist in a marine environment - and it won't. It's soft, porous, and the glue used to hold it together isn't waterproof. It would probably start delaminating on your way home from your first fishing trip...

...spray-in truck bedliner - now there's an idea...we may have a winner!

Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Hooked up

These post our on right track. Moi is marine plywood with resin to seal up. Water is the enomy Sealing screws and allow for drainage and if you drill holes need to seal. The coat works well on
top and will not weigh you down. The new boats like that are made that way or with glue down vinyl on top. Use SS hardware as well.