How You can help pass the MA Striper conservation act - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default How You can help pass the MA Striper conservation act

1) DON’T leave your computer; the total time involved WILL TAKE LESS THAN ONE MINUTE!
2) If you are receiving this message from a friend please read “A MESSAGE TO MY FRIENDS” BELOW.
2 ) If you are already a member and have forwarded this message in the past please DO IT AGAIN. Forward this to EVERY STRIPER FISHERMAN ON YOUR MAILING LIST who cares about saving the striped bass. We need to get back in touch with many folks who want to help but no longer hear from us because they have changed their email service. We ask those that have yet to join Stripers Forever to do so right now. IT’S FREE!
3) To help EXPLAIN AND SELL the Conservation message, we are setting up opportunities to meet and greet various legislators at pre-arranged breakfast meetings. We need to send out invitations to every MA Striper Forever member in order to have folks show up and help convince the politicians to support this terrific legislation.

PLEASE FORWARD THE MESSAGE BELOW TO YOUR FISHING FRIENDS

Stripers Forever sends out timely and important information about the welfare of stripers and how you can help end the commercial culture that controls their management. This won’t happen if you and I sit on the sidelines waiting for the other guy to get it done. With the filing of the Conservation Bill we are at a critical juncture in the on-going attempt to conserve and protect wild striped bass. Up to now it has been all words. Now it is time for action by our members...YOU!
Wild, migratory striped bass are under more pressure than ever, and Stripers Forever, a free membership, internet-based organization, is fighting to end commercial fishing for the wild striped bass and manage the resource for personal use/recreational fishing. We need as many members as possible to show the politicians HOW IMPORTANT striped bass are to our economy, our recreation and our grandchildren .
If you haven't signed up yet as a member of Stripers Forever, here are a few things you should know:
Membership is free – no dues - and there are no meetings to attend. Everything is done via the internet and emails.
Stripers Forever helped draft and file a comprehensive Conservation Bill in the MA House of Representatives that will: a) eliminate commercial fishing for wild stripers b) protect the large breeding females, and c) reduce the overall harvest. This is critical legislation that will serve as a model for other states if we can get it passed.
Please help by joining Stripers Forever
Here is all you have to do -- it will take less than a minute and cost nothing:
Go to www.stripersforever.org (note - we have not used live links so that we don't set off spam filters, cut and paste into your browser)
Select “Become A Member” and fill out the very easy to follow sign-up sheet. It is really that simple and you will be helping the bass.
You can also volunteer for a more active role by e-mailing Ted Purcell at this address - [email protected]

Thank you - Fred Jennings MA Chairman for Stripers Forever

P.S. TWO IMPORTANT REASONS TO FORWARD THIS MESSAGE (again!):
1) Many have changed their email service/address since they signed up to help support the bass and we can no longer contact them....some may be your friends that think they are still active members.
2) With the filing of the MA striped Bass Conservation Bill we need to reach out for as much support as possible by having everyone that cares about the wise use of our natural resources join Stripers Forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Default Re: How You can help pass the MA Striper conservation act

NOTES:

Filed by Rep. Matt Patrick, a Democrat from Falmouth, the legislation is in early form as a bill and has not been assigned a number or a committee.

In addition to prohibiting the sale of wild striped bass, the Patrick bill also would reduce the recreational limit from two fish a day to one, and would only allow fish to be kept that measure between 20 and 26 inches or more than 40 inches.

A meeting of mostly commercial fishermen on the Vineyard on February 4th 2009 saw criticism of the legislation. More than a dozen commercial fishermen gathered at the Dukes County administration building near the airport; the purpose of the meeting was to discuss organizing a group to advocate for local fishermen.

Cape and Islands state Rep. Tim Madden said this week that he is not supporting the bill. “Not at this point,” Mr. Madden said.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission held its winter meeting in Alexandria, Va., last Monday. An initiative to raise the commercial quota for the Eastern seaboard failed in a tie vote.
Striped bass are commercially sold in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina.
The same States votes in the most recent AFSMC motion.

Nichola Meserve, a coordinator for the commission, said: “The stock is not over-fished and it is not experiencing overfishing.” She said the data used was through 2006; the next assessment of stocks will be this year and will include 2008.

The Massachusetts commercial striped bass quota last year was 1.1 million pounds; fishermen overshot the quota by 52,632 pounds.

"The stock assessments are two years behind. It is obvious to us that the quota will be lowered to zero. The fishery isn’t sustainable. A well-managed recreational fishery is sustainable. The big stink is being raised by a handful of guys that represent their own interests.”
Brad Burns

There hasn’t been a successful young of the year class since 2002

Anecdotal notes.

Fifteen years ago when the Martha’s Vineyard Rod and Gun Club hosted a striped bass catch and release fly fishing tournament, 200 anglers caught and released 1,200 fish in one night. When it was held last June, 217 fishermen caught and released 270 fish.

Paul Diodati, director of the state Division of Marine Fisheries is the Massachusetts expert on striped bass. Before becoming the director of the division he was charged with monitoring striped bass during a time when the numbers were severely depleted in the 1980s.
Just back from the Virginia meeting, Mr. Diodati said yesterday he is aware of the state legislation. “We, like everyone else, will watch this closely.” As for the state of the fishery, Mr. Diodati said: “It is pretty clear that in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, striped bass were very depressed last year. But at the same time, places like the Cape Cod Canal had one of the largest years. It was one of the largest years off the coast of New Jersey.” He concluded:
Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
the Patrick bill also would reduce the recreational limit from two fish a day to one, and would only allow fish to be kept that measure between 20 and 26 inches or more than 40 inches.
That would take MA out of compliance with the ASMFC Fishery Management Plan and probably result in a complete shut-down of striped bass fishing in MA.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 12:04 AM

In New York its one over 28" and 1 over 40
Unless your on a charter boat then its 2 over 28.

His bill would be like a slot limit fish and thats it.
How many over 40 per year does the average rec angler get?
The hudson its one over 18"

They should just go to circle hooks and ban the comms. period. reduce the slaughter on the party boats to 1 a day per fare over 28 inches.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:

They should just go to circle hooks and ban the comms. period. reduce the slaughter on the party boats to 1 a day per fare over 28 inches.
The ASMFC fishery management plan does not permit any striper under 28 inches to be kept. Strict rule. so his one fish between 20 and 26 inches would put MA out-of-compliance with the FMP.

NY could have had 2 at 28 inches if they wanted it, only the party/charter boats wanted it, so they were the only ones that got it.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Official Member

Jack & Jim...As i said in passed years..You can count on me & west coast buddies to help in your fight to for the striper fishery..We're all in this fight to help preserve the stripers..I'm A member of Stripers Forever & I'm writing e-mails tonight..You have to do the good fight now ,while the fishery still exist..Not after the politicos destroy it all as in our stste... Jim
Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM

As ardant, dedicated and single minded in my pusuit of game fish status, if they try to submit this bill, as it is written for Mass, in Rhode Island, I will not support it in way shape or form. In fact I will do all I can to make sure it gets killed in commitee.
Brad should have done a little more homework before pulling the trigger on this. I'm still waiting for him to call me back, I have quite a few things to recommend to him.
If neccasary I will use my relationships at the State house to formulate my own plan and proceed with out them.
Seems a few folks here are starting to see my ideas as pretty good ones lately.
I am even circumventing the bogus research commitee working out the registration issue as well. As far as I am concerned those idiots no longer exist, with 1 exception of course.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Darn tootin!

This bill fixes the problem with a jackhammer when a screwdriver will do. Why try to screw the commercial guys and the recreational fisherman with the same cast? Stopping the party boats alone would greatly help. Fine comm guys for going over quota. Restrict rec to 30 and over. Done. No need to shut down the business

Quote:

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM

The latest.

"Sixty-four percent of all recreational fishing in Massachusetts targets striped bass."
Since filing the bill Partrick has probably gotten 300 e-mails and most are in agreement."
The bill is a long way from law.

"I’m not close-minded on the question. I’d be happy to hear what people have to say," Patrick said. "I want to do something positively to protect the fishery. That’s really the goal here."

Recreational fishermen do take more fish; 4.9 million pounds in 2006 versus 1.3 commercial, although the contention is the split was closer to 50/50 due to under reporting.

We see less on the beach, yes – that’s related to the seal population," "If you go out three miles and drop a jig to the bottom, you can catch all the bass you want. There’s no shortage of fish. They’re just not where people can catch them."
I’m 100 percent against it," declared Eric Stewart, co-owner of The Hook-Up fishing supply store in Orleans and captain of the Tammy Rose.
"If someone truly wants to make a difference, why don’t they target the bycatch of the big commercial draggers offshore?" Stewart asked. "They catch striped bass by the tens of thousands. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. They see striped bass mixed in with the forage fish and tow them in anyway, then shovel them over the rail and they’re all dead."

President Bush signed an Executive Order Oct. 20, 2007 making striped bass a game fish only in federal waters (beyond three miles).