Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Beach fishing / shore fishing

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  RJC 
#1 ·
I live in Mass but only 20 minutes from Providence. Thinking about going to the RI coast line and doing some fishing on Saturday. Just wondering as I am new to this but are there any restrictions on where fishermen can go? I am sure some of the beaches and other areas must be off limits or private. I am not looking for a specific area to fish but ways I can check out where it is okay to go or not

Thanks

#2 ·
As long as you can park without getting towed, you'll be fine. Just so you know,,, you as a fisherman have full rights to access any RI coastline below the high tide line. Getting to that point can be the tricky part sometimes. I don't know if any of the town beaches have restrictions or not, but I would really doubt it this time of year. thumbsup.gif

3 things:

1. DO NOT leave trash behind,,, leave the place cleaner than you found it.
2. Be quiet and considerate of residents.
3. Make sure you have the proper gear to fish the area you choose,,, many locations can be hazardous to the ill equipped.

#5 ·
Sure. When you're on the beach you can usually easily see from deposited debris & seaweed where the high tide line is. Exposed ground below the high tide line, submerged ground, and the water itself is held in public trust and you have the right by law to fish there. The problem in some areas is that parking is restricted and/or you would have to cross private property to get to the high tide line.

#8 ·
Thept,,, Good to meet you this morning, and stoked that you hooked up! There's no turning back now :a_goodjob:
And you as well. Turning back? Are you kidding me? After I got home today and got a couple hours sleep I was trying to plan another trip for tomorrow but I got my kids soccer game so the timing is no good. But I am definitely going to plan something for next Friday or Saturday the 15th or 16th

I'd send the picture but had to try to take it from my cell phone and it was raining and the lens was wet and foggy. I'll just have to catch another one next time

thumbsup.gif

#9 ·
Post it anyway.................
We've seen worse here.
First Bass, first Keeper, it'll get the point across.
By the way, great fishing with you, for someone brand new to the surf you learn quick.
I hope the practical application, demonstration, of getting hammered by a wave at Beavertail helped you to understand how dangerous it can be. My hands finally stopped bleeding on the way home!

#10 ·
Okay. I'll see if I can touch it up at all and then post it.

There was more than one practical demonstration and application yesterday and I learned from them all including the :dizzy: one. LOL. Seriously though glad you are alright and hopefully your cap will show up in the next striper you catch

Actually the spray from the crashers on the rocks makes it even more exciting. Keeps you alert and awake. And I remembered your advice to use the surge of the surf to help land that fish. I think that was the #5 rule in a post from StriperJim.

:crosstheline:

#17 ·
Congrats John sounds like I left a few too early. Unfortunately duty called and the wind got a hold of my braid. I am totally psyched for you. It was a fun morning. I enjoyed meeting up with you guys.

I need to get a camera like that it takes years off people and adds years to your fish. :10187:

#24 ·
Hey Doublerunner nice fish. I myself grew up in Whitinsville and still have family up there. I now live in the armpit of the nation-NJ. Boy I miss the fishing up ther in the summer. I'm actully trying to get smething together with my nephews or brother-inlaw. You may know them, well they live on School St in Northbridge about a 1/2 mile down from Hill and my nephew is in his 1st year at Roger Williams (I think)-his name is Gary

#25 ·
Hey Doublerunner nice fish. I myself grew up in Whitinsville and still have family up there. I now live in the armpit of the nation-NJ. Boy I miss the fishing up ther in the summer. I'm actully trying to get smething together with my nephews or brother-inlaw. You may know them, well they live on School St in Northbridge about a 1/2 mile down from Hill and my nephew is in his 1st year at Roger Williams (I think)-his name is Gary
Hi Jerseystriper. Well I do know a lot of the people in this area as I've been here quite a while. And I don't live far from School St myself. I'm a little closer to the Douglas town line.

Welcome to the site. If you're ever coming up this way give me a shout and maybe we can do some catching.

Also, Stryperhyper used to live in this town as well.

Cheers
:gob_icon_cheers:

#26 ·
When I head up again I will give you a shout, thank you. I lived there for over 20 yrs but moved to NJ around 15 to 20 yrs ago. I have not been out hunting stripers hard in yrs. Most of my fishing for them was during the hard times when there was much less fish.
I remember spending my summers in West Yarmouth back in the 80's and riding my bike from one end of the Cape to the other in search of fish. Even when I got older and got a car it was still easier to ride my bike due to traffic. Through those years I had fished almost every cove, pier and beach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.