Wallenpaupack report. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Pennsylvania's Lakes, Rivers and Impoundments
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-12-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Wallenpaupack report.

Ok needed to get out of the house somewhere close with a chance of catching a striper. Wallenpaupack Pennsylvania. 23 miles from my house. More of a scouting mission than anything else. Went once last fall carried the gear down got snagged and went home depressed.
Not willing to give up that easily I have returned, so I parked by the information center near the beach on route 6. I thought to myself that this day hasnt been going real well. The girlfriend overreacted to having not received a return phone call in a timely manner and the bait shop is closed. Not to be deterred I walked down with my gear stopping 6 or 7 times along the way and climbed two 4 foot fences. To the right the beach looks like nice structure I thought to myself. The wind is blowing pretty good but what the heck, its blowing into this cove. First cast wild eye storm shad. snagged. Ok pull straight back. Tighten the drag. Loosen the bail. snagged. Hot damn. Ok snaaap. Walk another hundred yards into the campground. Nice structure here. Left the bag down and carried a few plugs in a box. Tried the docks, it looked like a nice place to cover a lot of water without having to expend too much energy. ( Im like a fat old striper) Ok now I've found the perfect plug. let me try this mepps spinner bait with a shad trailer. Maybe Ill get a largie. No luck. Ok back to the boat ramp. A what the heck cast parallel to the shoreline. A 9 inch largemouth. 8) At least theres fish here. Getting dark I realize I've left my minors light in the console of the truck.
Beautiful evening. The wind died down and the water has a clear glass coating. So what if I walk slow and huff and puff my way back to the car. At least I'm able to and Im thankful for that, but i feel as If I've just run a 10k.
The campground is called Wilsonville and has some shoreline access with nice structure around it. it is owned by pennsylvania power and light. It is located on Route 6 about a half mile from 590. The lake is 5700 acres. And suddenly rises during generation from the hydro electric plant. The boat access area at the campground charges a fee, but there is one operated by the Fish and Boat commission free of charge at Mangan Cove.
I plan to return to the campground shoreline with some live bait. Maybe I'll have better luck. Lets see 80 miles to NY or Wallenpaupack for an hour or two. Looks like Ill be workin to figure out this lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Jim that is a nice lake. With some HUGE fish in it. I am probabley going to go there soon. Maybe someday we can meet up there and fish if ya want.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Be my pleasure mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 11:02 AM

There is another shore fishing area by the Public ramp off of route 590. Its a walk in and drive in path. Its called Mangan Cove there are shore access spots across from the dam to the right and left of the boat launch. The sign is real small so when you turn onto 590 from route 6 look for the first left and a small green PPl boat launch sign.

Lake Wallenpaupack Map
Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Wallenpaupack report.

i know this is an old post but i have a boat sitting in a slip right now if your interesded lets go
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM

Ill Pm ya. Garrett. Ill get lunch and gas.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Over the summer I had good luck at Lake W. with stripers and hybrids with spinners and spoons.