Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Plum Island 5/31 - Pretty Quiet

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
Fished a number of spots on Plum Island starting around 2 pm through the evening. Temps in the mid 50s with some offshore wind. Previous week I had found good success catching 5 but yesterday was not the case. The beach from Lot 1 north was so full of seaweed that lines continued to get tangled. From there fished the north side of the jetty along the river, the jetty and south side of jetty ocean side. Clams, worms, and a sluggo - not one fish and only one bite.

It was definitely not like the activity which was seen over the memorial day weekend. Next time.......

#2 ·
Fished a number of spots on Plum Island starting around 2 pm through the evening. Temps in the mid 50s with some offshore wind. Previous week I had found good success catching 5 but yesterday was not the case. The beach from Lot 1 north was so full of seaweed that lines continued to get tangled. From there fished the north side of the jetty along the river, the jetty and south side of jetty ocean side. Clams, worms, and a sluggo - not one fish and only one bite.

It was definitely not like the activity which was seen over the memorial day weekend. Next time.......
as I've said so many times.. those early fish head straight up river all the way to the Lawrence dam... lots of fish up there right now...
the water is still very cold... 50 offshore... 52 in close... low 60's in the river at low tide...it's still early.. lots of time for fishing to pick up..

#5 ·
Not the kind of place you can take just any kind of boat... the water level can fluctuate greatly depending on what they are doing with the dam and hydro plant.. there is also a gate at the new ramp... the whole area isn't quite as friendly as it was back in the 60's ...70's and early 80's when I fished there nightly..

Plenty of fish in the river in NBPT..no need to risk taking the lower unit off of your boat or getting stuck on one of the many sand bars or rocks up river...in 2 weeks most of those fish will begin to drop back anyway... bigger fish are arriving in the river each day...

#3 ·
Plenty of 35 t0 40 inch fish being caught up river only problem is they were being caught by the guys drifting live herring. The people fishing artificials or dead bait were not having the luck in numbers. On the positive side the river is loaded with herring. Every retrieve there had to be about ten or so fish trying to get jiggy with my sluggo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.