Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Rookie here from NorCal/SF bay area. Looking for some advice on rod/reel selection

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  P_roc 
#1 ·
Morning guys. Happy to be a new member. I'm stoked I came across the site!

Watching guys pull fish from the beach all weekend really hooked me. Instead of wasting more time and money buying equipment that isnt right for my application, I thought I'd ask the professionals.

I always have a hard time finding the info I'm looking for on forums. If anyone can direct me to the appropriate threads I would greatly appreciate it.

I fish between Pacifica and Santa Cruz. Pigeon Point, Montara beach, Lindamar beach, Pacifca pier, Mussel Rock mostly. I fish entirely from the surf.

This weekend I learned a lot about how the swell and tide play a role in the equipment I need to be using. The 1- 1.5 oz bucktails and SP minnows (recommended by local tackle shops) were basically rendered useless, once the wind and tide picked up. I could barely cast out to the break when the tide came up without getting dangerously close to the surging tide.

I was using a Penn Battle 4000 and 9' Penn Prevail rod, 30lb braid. I got my setup from Dick's mostly because of the convenience and protection plan/return policy. I know that I can find cheaper & or better gear online, but figured since I don't know shit about shit, that it would be good to go the safe route to start.

I found that when the tide and swell were minimal, my setup worked fairly well. I liked the Battle reel, but think it may be too light for the 9' Prevail rod. I don't know anything about Action or Power, but noticed my rod tip didn't seem to whip and flex at the end like most of the other guys when they casted out.

Do I need 2 setups for the contrasting conditions or just heavier bucktails & SP minnows?

For a lightweight setup I was thinking:

7-8ft rod

4k-5k reel

up to 1.25 oz hair raisers & SP Minnows?

I want to be pain free and cast all day with this setup. I'd like to spend no more than $300 total.

Reel - I am considering Penn Fierce 4000. Don't think the Battle is worth the extra money, seem to be similar specs, I'm thinking about exchanging.

Also considering Shimano Stradic FJ 4-5K. I don't have any problem cleaning it regularly.

For Heavier setup:

10'-11' rod suggestions?

6k reel?

Heavier lures, poppers, etc.

I like being able to place rod between the legs for reeling for comfort and less strain on the arms and back.

Thanks for any feedback. Feel free to move my post to more appropriate section. Sorry for being a noob. We all have to learn somehow.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.