Shock Leaders - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro Staff

Default Shock Leaders

Hey guys,
I have a couple spinning setups spooled with Power Pro, and recently tried putting a shock leader on one of them. Over the course of an evening, I tried every knot that I've seen suggested for attaching a shock leader and ended up taking it off after some amount of frustration.

Every knot that I tried really seemed to hang up in the guides upon casting. Not only was my casting distance significantly hampered, but I also got some nasty birdnests during several casts.

What can I do to help the knot where the shock leader is joined to the main line go through the guides more smoothly? I think Roccus has mentioned that he covers the knot with some kind of contact cement. Is this the reason for that,, and if so, what kind of contact cement should I try?

Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 04:11 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Bait,

I use 10' shock leaders on the conventional and 6' on the spinners, I use an albright knot, I lock BOTH ends,this creates a slight ramp on the knot,then I coat the knot with pliobond....

I'm working on learning to tie a mid knot,suposidly it is as strong or stronger than a albright,but much lower profile....when I succeed in tying one properly I will post it, the knot is used by comercial jiggers in asia...thus far I've not been impressed with it....but it could be me.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Staff

Thanks Roccus, I'll give it another shot.

Only 6' on the spinners? That won't even get down to the reel will it?

Where might I be fortunate enough to find ,, insert drum roll here,,, Pliobond?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Bait,
that is exactly why I shorten it up... just a little "oops" cushion.....

Plobond is a waterproof contact cement,I get it from McMaster Carr....

Some hardware stores carry it as well...

Dap makes a simular contact cement that you can buy at home depot or Lowes.... apply two THIN coats,allow ample drying time between coats....
Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Pro Staff

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it another shot. I think it would definately help avoid the twisted knots I sometimes get at the fishfinder slide during a cast.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Look at your PP box

Take out the pamphlet from one of your power pro line boxes and they have a great diagram showing how to tie an albright with mono to braid. Make sure that the line that you do all of the wraps with is the braid and not the mono (that'll keep the diameter down).
Old 07-07-2005, 11:40 AM

so how do you tie a shock leader?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro Staff

Joey,
A shock leader is basically just a length of heavier Florocarbon or Monofilament added to the end of your braid, to help reduce the stress on your main line while casting weight and to help avoid the tangling of your braided line in your terminal rig. The link below shows how to tie the Albright knot that has been mentioned in this string.

https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2402

Hope that helps!!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:22 PM

thnaks.. i just picked up some 30lb power pro today.

i have a question though.. can you tell im a newbie.. what knot do i use to tie the braided line on my spool.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Staff

Joey,
I've seen a lot of people just use a double square knot,, but I prefer to use a Uni-knot (also shown in the page linked to above). I've never even come close to getting spooled by a fish, but if I ever do, I don't want to lose him because of a weak knot joining my line to my spool. Your line will break before that knot comes loose. That would be an aweful feeling having a fish run out your line only to have the knot at the spool pull loose. :wall: I also tend to leave the tag end a little longer than usual and let it get covered up by the first few wraps around the spool.
That's my :twocents: Hope it helps!!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

you should never tie braid directly to the spool,always put at least 10 yds or so of mono or dacron line as a cushion under the braid...

albright knot with a lock is the best knot for mono to braid connection,double uni is good for lines of different diameters...

a blood knot or double uni works for lines of the same diameter....

by using a 6' shock leader all worries of the braid wearing out the fishfinder are taken care of.....
Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Pro Staff

True true,,, I didn't think to mention that, but I have a mono backing under the braid on all my reels.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:27 PM

Not at all questioning Rocks integrity-----just curious i always thought the leader was to wrap around the spool a few times to take the tension off of the mono when casting.If this is true (which im not to sure)wouldnt a six foot leader kind of defeat the purpose?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
you should never tie braid directly to the spool,always put at least 10 yds or so of mono or dacron line as a cushion under the braid...
WHY :huh: Do you do that :huh:
Old 07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

the shock leader is just that,a shock leader.... braided line has NO give to it,a 6' section of shock leader is the perfect length,it gives just the right amount of stretch,allows for casting without having to get the knot off of the spool and also give the fishfinder a smooth surface to run on,it also is the portion of the line that takes the most abuse...which would you rather cut back after each trip, 6' of mono shock leader or 6' of high priced braid...