Suggestions for Conventional Rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Suggestions for Conventional Rod

I'm lookin go to get a conventional rod for bait and live eels. I would like to ask for your suggestions. It will be paired with a Abu C3 6500.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for Conventional Rod

I was looking at the new line of Seeker surf rods at the show this weekend
Have to say I was impressed and the prices are right as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I'll have to check them out
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

If Daiwa had the Sealine X 10ers still in production, I would recommend one of those. But since not, a friend turned me onto the Daiwa Emblems and Emcasts. Now< I don't know too much about them yet, but I heard they mirror the Sealine X rods. I have one coming to me, from a friend that sells 'em. I believe it's the 10" conventional Emcast.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:40 AM
First Mate

For eel slinging I would suggest the Lami XS10MHC and for light bait chunking.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
If Daiwa had the Sealine X 10ers still in production, I would recommend one of those. But since not, a friend turned me onto the Daiwa Emblems and Emcasts. Now< I don't know too much about them yet, but I heard they mirror the Sealine X rods. I have one coming to me, from a friend that sells 'em. I believe it's the 10" conventional Emcast.

let me know what you think of it.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I was looking at the new line of Seeker surf rods at the show this weekend
Have to say I was impressed and the prices are right as well.

Sudsy What are your thoughts on the Breakaway rods?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM

I'm not familiar with Nicks BreakAways but the old AllStar BreakAways (before they sold the line to Nick) are magnificent!! The LDFC 119-2 is my go-to bait rod. At 11' 9" it's a bit too much for eels though.
As for the new BreakAways, I will say that Nick is a great guy and stands behind his product.

Didn't you just get an Estuary built dual ?? That's as perfect an eel rod as you can ask for.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Didn't you just get an Estuary built dual ?? That's as perfect an eel rod as you can ask for.
Yeah I'm gonna use it for eels. I got it built for spinning only.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I have one more question. For bait fishing in our area(NY/NJ) What would be the ideal weight range for a rod?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM

You really need two rods, one for bay where you'll usually be throwing no more than 3 ounces and bait and one for beach where you could easily find yourself throwing 8 and half a bunker.

There's only one rod I know that can do all of that but I'm not sure it's still made. That would be the Okuma Celilo sturgeon rod - goes for all of $60

Here's a cut n paste of a review I did a few years ago, still have and fish the rod

Quote:
This is from a post I put up a few years ago.

FYI, I still fish it occasionally when I want to throw big weights and bait and don't want to risk destroying one of my good sticks.

--------------------------

Re: Budget Bait Stick I did a review a few years ago on what I still think is the best low budget heaver you can get. You might have to work a bit to track one down as they were marketed to the west coast sturgeon fishermen.

Since doing the review I've caught a lot of fish with these rods to the mid 20# range casting 8 oz and big baits and they have been absolutely flawless both in casting ability and fish fighting ability.

---------------------

I received two Okuma Celilo rods to demo, one conventional and one spinning and had them out for a go over the weekend.

Specs:

CE-S-1102 (Spinning) and CE-C-1102 (Conventional)
11'0", MH action Sturgeon Rod, line wt. 15~40, lure wt. 4~16, 2 piece.
Available on-line for $59.99 shipped.

These were designed for bottom bouncing for west coast salmon and "kerplunking" for sturgeon.
For beach applications these rods are outstanding. They cast with a medium fast action with the top third of the rod loading very nicely

The top end lure rating of 16 is based on 'kerplunking", not casting but rather dropping a large weight and bait directly into a race in rivers.
My initial expectations were that these rods were going to most resemble pool cues. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The graphite construction makes them surprisingly light for their size, the tip is much softer than I expected and the butt is strong enough to power in anything we might see off the sand.
I'd like to report on their fish fighting abilities but the best I could do this weekend were skates and horseshoe crabs (which the rods handled quite well ). I'll try again this week.

The blank has a sweet spot at 6 to 8 and bait and the conventional, paired with a 7000 C3 and 65# Stealth, can heave a bait a long way.

Although I would consider the highest and best use for the spinning rod to be throwing bait with a baitrunner type reel, the rod paired with a Penn 704 and 30# Stren Superbraid was more than capable of throwing larger wood, pencil poppers and jigs. The tip is just soft enough to give poppers and pencils decent action and it's sensitive enough to give you a good feel for your jig ticking the bottom. In a pinch it can also throw Bombers but can definitely be considered overkill for that. While not, for it's size, a very heavy rig (I'll post the weight of the rod when I get a chance to put it on a scale), it's certainly not an Arra and I don't think you would want to spend hours plugging with this rod.

Although I'm very impressed with the blank, I think the quality of the guides could be improved. According to the Okuma rod designer they are proprietary to the OEM manufacturer who is building these rods under the Okuma name. They are certainly not fuji's and look like the older style of Pac Bays - stamped steel with a plastic ring holding the ceramic ring in place.

The grips on these sturgeon rods are different than the Celilos shown on Okumas website. The website has them pictured as cork ring with a trigger grip reel seat on the conventional. All of the Celilo series come like that except these two models. These come with standard reel seats and foam grips. The first thing I did upon unpacking these rods was to strip off the bottom foam grip and replace it with cork tape. For me this 20-minute job really improved the way the rods fit my hands.

As a backup to your Lami's, a second bait rod when you are using two on the beach, as a rod to loan to a guest or as a first rod for someone thinking about getting into the sport I would absolutely recommend these as a solid, good quality rod and at $59.99 shipped, an unbelievably outstanding bargain.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Thanks Sudsy!

I was actually thinking of getting another AFAW. I was looking at the, Surf, Rock, and Beach. Do you think any of these would cut it as multi use? I think the Rock and Beach might be over kill so the bay.

But maybe I'll get one of the Okuma's
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Hey Sudsy

I was also looking at the Lami 10MHC, Lami XS 11MHC, and XS 12MHC in your opinion do you think one of these would be a better choice than one of the AFAWs?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM

To be honest, the old chestnut colored S glass Lami's like the SMB 1143 is a great eeling rod. A lot of the Montauk sharpies that fish eels use glass for that application.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
To be honest, the old chestnut colored S glass Lami's like the SMB 1143 is a great eeling rod. A lot of the Montauk sharpies that fish eels use glass for that application.
Sudsy of the rods I listed what you you choose as your go to bait stick?