Knot Instruction. - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Knot Instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfnut
but does your line twist up from not useing a swivel?
I fish at night and I cant see it. LOL
As long as the line goes on the spool properly the line twist is not a problem.
I usually use that knot to minimize hardware so I can ~ tie directly to the plug, mono to flouro or for braids to flouro.
I then tie a rapala knot in the tag end of the flourocarbon to the split ring or jighead. ++
With spinners and spoons a swivel is necessary.
* I dont know a better name for it so Ill refer to the knot as the granny /clinch
++ (I use the *granny/clinch also for shock leaders - mono to mono)
Lower profile through the last guide.
~ I use a duo lock on the metal lipped swimmers like the Danny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 AM

When using the clinch for other applications a trilene might also be used. The trilene knot is a clinch with a double loop. Berkely says the knot retains 95% of its breaking strength.
Trilene Knot
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM
swabbie

That granny / improved clinch looks similar to the slim beauty. The guys casting to tuna seem to be using it a lot to attach floro carbon to their braid. You tie a double overhand knot in the floro or mono, thread the braid through it twice, wrap the braid around the floro 7 times going out and then 11 times coming back towards the knot, then under the first loop and pull it tight.

Sorry, I don't have an illistration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

mono to braid is so damn iffy. that knot has got to be right. the slim beauty was not designed for braid. have you tied it? i will try just wondering if the dual braid will clinch evenly on the last part of the knot

Old 10-08-2007, 12:52 PM

Danny thanks for the slim beauty.
It looks very similar to the granny / clinch which btw I
havent had fail even as a shockleader throwing in excess of 8 ounces.
Heres a good illustration as braid to mono from anglers outfit.
The slim beauty
Old 10-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

here's a video of the slim beauty. but with tippet to leader http://www.midcurrent.com/video/knot...ming_modem.wmv

Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
swabbie

When I was shown the knot the braid was not doubled, and it went 7 times around going out and 11 coming back. A lot of guys are spooling up their spinning gear with 50 lb braid and using this knot to attach a 50 lb floro leader and casting lures to blue fin tuna. I saw a guy land a 75 lb blue fin with this set up yesterday, believe me, that knot was put to the test with that fish. I've caught many big stripers, but this was the first time I witnessed the tuna thing, it is a hole new world! Drags are set to 13 lbs and 150 yds would peel of in the blink of an eye. The knot held tight!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

that is good to know. i have tied it the conventional way with fly setup but will now test it out on the water the other way. it;s basically a locked albright but the hookset on these knots are my concern that is all. the shock factor has had the braid cut through the leader before. but fishing in spots i do there is little room for letting the bass run. ya gotta hook em and pry em out of the hole or risk getting broken off on the rocks. heavy braid and leader with no drag whatsoever. now that;s just sick and chock full of adrenaline! the one spot jim and i are aching to fish this fall is another prime example i really need the strength of the braid and shock leader to absorb the initial hit. once it is fail safe the fish is done. i promise just for the sake of arguement to give it a go and see if she is noteworthy (with pics of course)

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 AM

Continued.
Quote:
thanks jim. but does your line twist up from not useing a swivel?
Ps. I find the duolocks to be better as swivels than the coast locks. for me they are awkward to put on metal lipped swimmers unless you bend them and the constant bending weakens them to the point of breakage. The ball bearing swivels on the duolocks made by sampo are expensive.
It takes longer to constantly tie rapala knots (loop) but thats generally what Ill do unless of course its metal spoons or spinners.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks Mugs. Nice simple knot. Looks Easy to tie in the field. Ill give it a shot this weekend.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Albright Knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Albright Knot Animated Albright
This knot is used to join two lines of different thicknesses. It is used to attach a heavier 'leader' (rather than a double) to a lighter main line.
It requires careful forming of the loops. I use it to tie on a shockleader.

How many turns do you recommend with the lighter main line?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM

The smaller the diameter the more wraps.
With that particular knot its a good idea to use the modified albright (aka albertos knot)
Recommended turns are here in this thread- Knot tying tips
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

You will have to watch this video at least 8 times in order to learn the knot......for some reason I was getting distracted............

Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
You will have to watch this video at least 8 times in order to learn the knot......for some reason I was getting distracted..
You Marines are all alike. I bet ya Gunny watches it at least 8 times to. I don't even like the knot and I had to watch it 8 times.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Hi guys,
Great sticky. I can get lost in info like this that others look at me cross-eyed over. My question is finding a knot for a shock leader. What I want to do is tie on several yards of shock leader to braid so I have heavy mono in the rocky area where I fish. However, I haven't found a knot that goes through the guides without feeling like the knot it destroying them. I was wondering if the nail knot with crazy glue would hold, and slide through the guides better. What I'm really wondering is what you guys think or do in this situation.
Thanks,
Ken