The RIGHT rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:55 AM

Default The RIGHT rod

I'm finally hooked on striper fishing. I had a good year in the delaware Bay, and some good days in PA. I build my own rods, and I'm stuck between a 10-20, and a 12-25 6'6" St. Croix. Just wondering what you all used, and if I need to go even heavier? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2004, 02:55 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Best all around rod is probably a 7' Medium. I do use 6'6" rods as well, however they are used for freshwater setups.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Veteran

No one rod does it all? thats why I have about 20 rods. Same with boats :?: I could use about 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2004, 02:02 PM

I tried holding a 7' rod today and i can't see how you guys can fish with such a short rod. My 9' rod is my shortest rod other than the shorty i have for Tautog fishing off the rocks. How do you throw bait or plugs with something that resembles a cane more than a rod, hahaha. i guess its what your broguht up on maybe.

What i use for shore fishing fishingnut, is my 9', 10', 11', 12' and my baby, the 15'.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 12-28-2004, 04:32 PM

I guess it's the "light tackle" thing. I like the challenge/risk of using lighter stuff. Catching 30+ pound fish on 7 footers is tha balls. However my largest Striper 44", was caught with a 9 footer.... I used to use 9' Ugly Stik's out in the marsh, off the jetties, off the boat and off the beach etc.. But its just too much for me, especially for fishing out in the marsh and off a boat. Swinging around a 9 footer on a boat, or fishing with it in the marsh, is just way too overpowering to me. If "fishing big" like off the jetty, I would still use a 9', or more than likely I would use my 8.5' Ugly InterCoastal instead because it's lighter, doesnt resemble a pool cue, and still has power. I dont know, I used to be into the bigger stuff, but I have noticed myself going to lighter tackle over the past 3/4 years. I mentioned the best overall rod was a 7' M, or even a 7' medium/heavy, because you can do just about everything with it.....chunk, plug, jig, troll, etc etc, and not totally overpower the fish and feel like your fishing with a telephone pole lol ;) If I'm going for distance with chunk and using big weight, a longer rod is needed ofcourse, but I personally dont fish that way very often, if at all anymore. I guess my days of fishing the jetties and in the harbor with the 9' Ugly Medium/Heavy and big bank sinkers are gone. The longest fishing rod I have currently in my collection is a 10' surfcaster, I dont go no biggah than that :D

But Briggs, rest assured, Mistah Bolt come equipped when he visits ya :D

Old 12-28-2004, 06:45 PM

Your absolutely right Jonny. If i thought that through a little more, i would have said....its definetly a "where ya fish" kind of thing. I'm nothing but open ocean where i fish as you know, so a 7 footer wouldn't get me over the waves. I can totally see your point with the light tackle too. trying to pull a big cow through the surf or better yet, seaweed, requires some heavier equipment for me i think, i think my 9 footer is going to break all the time...that is my "light" tackle. I also said that i was going to be in the market for a boat before next season, now hows my 15 footer lookin? hahaha, not very good i tells ya. then i'll have to suck it up and by boat poles, and jiggin rods, UGH !

when you come down to fish in rhode island with me, all you'll need is a 9 footer or even the 10'. the way i'm going, i'll be able to supply everyone with their own rod. my wife is very impressed with my collection, yea right hahaha. i do take alot of people without rods fishing so its kind of good to have a good surplus. My latest purchase was a 4 foot rod with a reel in the shape of a fish, i did mention i had a 2 and a half year old daughter right? hahaha. so there i go, with my rhode island saltwater anglers assoc. hat on, buying a 4' rod, just didn't look right.

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN
Old 12-28-2004, 07:30 PM

lmao. That musta been a funny site. Big Briggs gittin tha 4 footah ;)

Ya, I'm thinking I'll probably take my 10' surfcastah with me to throw some danielsin's and pencil poppiz lol. And I'll bringah 9 foot Ugly heavah fa tha chunk :)

Are there any marshes with railroad trestles down theya??? lol

Old 12-29-2004, 08:57 AM

LMFAO Jonny, there will be NO trestle or mahsh fishing down here. we're beachin it me boy.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 12-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Veteran

In my area, if you fish plum Island you only need a 9 ft. rod because there is a good drop off there. On the other hand if you fish cape cod on some of the beaches, you need a 11ft. or a 13 ft. rod because there isn,t any dropoff.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 AM

I hearya seasea. i fish strictly off the beach and, unless there was a storm the week before, and the waves beat the shore a bit, i have no drop off. hence why i have to cast out far. i can cast as far as i can and i'm still fishing maybe 15 feet of water. I just bought some Korkers so i may venture out to the rocks some night and fish the deeper waters this upcoming season.

aka surfcastermaster

Old 12-29-2004, 09:56 PM

hey Briggs you think when we come down there you can make Jonny a trestle to fish from.....he goes through withdrawals when we go out in the boat
Old 12-29-2004, 10:47 PM

aw i'll bring him a couple of pallets to stand on steve. i'll even put a log or something in the water for him to get caught up on, it will feel like home.

craig aka briggs

aka surfcastermaster

Old 12-29-2004, 11:09 PM

yup and I'll be bringin my 10 footah, Brandon used to laugh his ass off everytime I brought it on the boat, what can I say it was all I had at the time
Old 12-30-2004, 10:23 PM

I should have a new 10 footah in the spring, I just havn't decided which one I want yet.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:20 AM

I like my 10 footer, and i use it sometimes, but if i go out on the shore and the wind is down and the waves are down, which is usually the case, i use my 9 footer. to me, the 9 footer is the rod of choice, easy to handle and its big enough for the game. my 50 incher was caught on my 9 footer and most of my others too. you want to see a sight, watch when i catch something with some size on the 15 footer, i love the site myself, thing bends right over and it looks like i'm fishing with a telephone pole hahaha. If you noticed in that pic of me with the fish on, the waves are 2 feet at most, maybe 3 feet, thats usually the case. so dont over do it unless its neccessary.

On a seperate note.....i got a $50 dollar gift certificate to sports authority for xmas. I never knew how much fishing crap i had until it took me an hour to spend it. i didnt really need anything so i was wicked lost in the store. i ended up with 2 plugs, reel oil and 300 yds of PP. sucked walking around looking like an idiot.... i dont even like sports authority hahaha.

aka surfcastermaster