The Mitchell: born in 1946 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Default The Mitchell: born in 1946

The Mitchell 300 is as much an American institution as the Louisville Slugger.
Too bad it was built by a Frenchman.
Yes, we owe the Mitchell, and all other spinning reels for that matter, to a young French watchmaker named Maurice Jacquemin.
Jacquemin and his brother Mitchel were avid anglers in the Avre valley of France in the years after World War II. Mitchel asked his brother, an engineer, to design a reel that would hold and retrieve line without tangling, and cast a lure great distances with precision.
Jacquemin started working on the project in 1946, and two years later after much trial and error, he unveiled his new "spinning" reel. The device caught on quickly and changed fishing forever. More than 30-million Mitchell 300s have been sold around the world.

The Mitchell Factory ran on a fiscal year and not on a calender year. Their fiscal or accounting year was from September 1st through August 31st. Each year the factory would close down for the entire month of August and they would go on Holiday. Everyone except those who came to the factory to make tool and dye changes to the assembly line that is.
For this reason several things occured including the fact that you will never find any Mitchell reel made in August. It also created a dating problem as they would restart on September 1st and stop production on July 30th of the following year so the dates overlapped a calender year.

Open Faced Spinning reel Pre History

The Collectors International Guided tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 08:15 PM

If this proves to be too long to download I will re upload them in a different format. Give me a shout.
The 300
Mitchell Spare Parts 1949
Mitchell Spare Parts list 1959
Mitchell Spare Parts list 1969
Mitchell Spare Parts list 1978
Old 02-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Say what?

French
Anti-Retour - Anti-Reverse
Bleu - Blue
Bobine perforee - Perforated spool
Brevete - Patent
Chargeur - Charger
Conique - Conical
Desserrage - loosening
Fabrique - Factory
Grand - Big - Large
Moulinet - Reel
Noir - Black
Peche - Fishing
Petit - small
Pied - Foot
sans - without
Sans Anti-Retour - No Anti-reverse
Serrage - Tightening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 10:21 AM

Charles Garcia Corporation
New York, N.Y. and Teaneck and Fairfield N.J.

The company was founded in 1919 under the name Charles Garcia and company and was located at Park Place in New York City. The company later moved to Park Avenue.
Charles Garcia from 1947-78 was the U.S. distributor of the now famous Mitchell line of open-faced spinning reels.
In 1969, the name of the company was changed to The Garcia Corporation and was located in Teaneck N.J. The Garcia corporation was owned by four families, the Links, the Desimones, the Mesiscas and the Pisapios until 1970 when they went public.
In 1954, Garcia aquired the U.S. distribution rights for the Abu Ambassadeur fishing reel of Sweden.
In 1978, Abu of Sweden aquired the Garcia name and logo. At this time, the name was changed to Abu Garcia wich was located in Fairfield N.J.
Abu Garcia, Berkely, Fenwick, Coleman Fishing, Red Wolf and Mitchell are now part of the Pure fishing group of Spirit Lake, Iowa.

More here
Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Official Member

Default Re: The Mitchell: born in 1946

Hi I am glad to see this post. Although I am partial to my penn 850ss reels, I have so many Mitchell 486,488, 386's and everything else in between. While enjoying new reels and new technology, I always find myself throwing the big Mitchells onto an old garcia conolon or honeyglass lami and hitting the beach. It is just a special feeling with these reels.. they are so strong, smooth, and beautiful to use... the only issue I have is the drag.. weak.. any suggestions on how to beef up those old drags?