UAW strike hits close to home.. - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: UAW strike hits close to home..

I would certainly like to see some evidence that the rate plus benefits comes to the amount you claim.

I am a Union member. Though not of the UAW.

The UAW has given many concessions away over the years. I am not familiar with the gripes at Chrysler, The ones at GM seemed valid, and there are others, in which the UAW needs to get it's shit together as well.

A day or mores inconvenience on the supply side resulting from a work stoppage hardly seems like more than a pain in the ass. That some are inconvenienced by this action is regretable, but I don't think waiting for a part, is an excuse for new hires to be paid less than someone hired previous to negotiations, nor to be denied a pension, or offered a decreased health package.

The problem is that these are concessions the UAW has given at various plants, and now is shoveling shit against the tide not to get beat up every time they go into negotiations.

These are very involved and complicated things. I am not gonna pretend to have all or even most of the answers. But bitching about whiners, and whining about being inconvenienced seems petty.

We all have only so many years to provide for ourselves and our families. That someone should just give in, and say ok to something as drastic as losing a pension they have though was being contributed to, and have supplement their retirement, is rediculous.

I am sorry some have been made to wait for calipers or front right fenders. But really. This is real families livelihoods, and in many cases the bread and butter of regional economies.

Last I checked, this country was for the people, not the corporations. They are entitled to profit, and negotiations are just that. I have seen no mention of anger toward the Companies here, which seem to have not found a middle ground in the collective bargaining, until threatened with the inability to use the very talent pool they rely on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Again...to all the union haters green with envy over our union wages/ benefits...it's not that hard to get in a union job....What's stopping you? Either join us and make the money that you deserve or stop hating us for you making less. It's really very simple....if you are content to make $10 an hour, then good for you....What are you complaining about? I decided I wanted more out of life, I joined the USW. Most of you working blue collar will never see good wages unless you go union. No, I'm not a liberal...in fact I'm a conservative and a registered republican....my employer is a global defense contractor that builds military equipment for our armed forces and those of our allies. And just for the record, while the UAW fellows really do have it very good (too good)....most of us enjoy significantyly less benefits in our unions....fair wage, but not outrageous, and we do pay a portion of our benefits.....it is no where near $78.00 an hour, but it is enough to provide for my family. If you are working hard and dedicated to your employer, yet he doesn't pay enough for you to live a comfortable life (not luxurious)....but he has a private jet and a beach house in Malibu...then you have to sit back and wonder what is wrong with the picture....you are americans and don't ever be made to feel that you are inferior to the capitalist pigs....they owe you an honest wage for your efforts...hold them accountable for that...as well as a fair and safe work environment....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

there is a mentality about the union and about the general population who can;t get union wage, union atmosphere is such that it is mindboggling the red tape beaurocratic bullshit! my union is all over anything that is unfair and unjust and if not for that we would be walked all over. the simple fact of non-union labor observation is that the union workers get paid too much. if this country was not so hell bent on cheating the system and running around pilfering our economy by using cheap labor ie; mexican immigrants who are exploited for what they cannot aquire or achieve. i mean, c;mon people? this country was founded on the priciple a fair days pay for a fair days work and not grinding out 12hr days with no benefits or healthcare> that is only part of my rebuttal. i don;t knock the fellow who hates the fact there is a guy or gal making 63 bucks an hour to bolt cars together (as i see nothing wrong with that if you are lucky enough to land that job) i only feel compelled to agree with thier fight if it be to uphold the obligation of the employer who makes concessions and renegs on them. btw, CK have you talked to my new best friend about his birthday? june 15th. what to get the princess?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Veteran Elite

a piece from a story on yahoo news oct 9th

Chrysler has the highest total wages and benefits -- more than $75 per hour for the average worker, compared with $70 for Ford and $48 for Toyota Motor Corp's U.S. unit, according to company data.

Now don't get me wrong, unions can do good and I very much agree with protecting peoples jobs,but lets keep things in check, I mean come on 70 something bucks an hour with all kinds of perks to bolt a seat in a car for a living, and then have the right nerve to cry foul when the contract is coming to an end. I just think maybe things sshould be put into perspective is all, and realize how good they have it compared to most of the working class.

Zim I think he'd like a tutu to go with his tierra
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

IF IT WERE NOT THE FACT YOUR AVATAR IS KILLIN ME I;D LAUGH LOUDER. HE ACTUALLY WAS SUPPOSE TO FISH THAT OUT OF THE WATER ON HIS LINE BUT I WAS A BONEHEAD AND LEFT IT IN THE TRUCK. I HAVE TO SAY, YOUR BROTHER IS A CLASS ACT. WE HAD A NICE TIME FISHING TOGETHER AND ALTHOUGH IT WAS A SHORT TRIP IT WAS ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE MEET. I WILL NEVER LOOK AT A DOGFISH WITH DISDAIN AGAIN. (SORRY FOR YELLING JIM) he hates that. btw, good luck in the playoffs

Old 10-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Veteran Elite

And another thing I'm not opposed to union workers, as a matter of fact I am very pleased to know there are people making a good living, it's some of the ideals of the unions themselves that tick me off,and in some cases people like myself and jimi4290 who have to appease the masses when they strike.

And I also know there are two sides to every dispute and also hold accountability to the corporations,and also whole heartedly agree that some big wig shouldn't be out living the life while their employees have to work to jobs to pay the bills.

That's ok my avatar is killing me too,they're playing like crap.