Cold Weather Paddling questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Cold Weather Paddling questions

With all the talk about the fall run, I figure I need to get some cold weather gear. I'm thinking about going with waders & a dry top. My thought is the waders are gonna come in handy for flyfishing & I was planning to get a pair anyway. Of course, I need to find someplace that carries stout sizes local, to try them on, which isn't easy.
BTW, Monday I was wearing nylon zip off pants that got soaked in the surf. For a little test, I zipped off the legs to see if they helped with the wind. Sure enough, even wet, they helped keep my legs warm. Now I won't try to use them when it gets cold, but thought it might help for cool summer nights.
So, any thoughts, comments, suggestions on gear and local stores would be appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 03:08 PM

I would figure Rid would jump all over this one. But for most of us when the water gets cold, not the air, we go to breathable waders and dry tops. I fished off my yak up until November last year. Mystereisos base layer, fleece and waders and dry top, with belts. Hat that covers your ears and gloves with at least some fingers cut off. I had 2 pairs of gloves, one to paddle with and one to fish with. Don't forget extra heavy wool socks, at least 2 pair as my waders are stocking foot with water shoes. Its a little ackward to paddle all bundled up, but the alternitive is wait 6 months till the schoolies arrive in May
Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 PM

I guess I am a guess now. Do I need to put my user name in everytime I post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 05:30 PM

You need to login for your username to show. When I logged on, I check the ' keep me logged in..'. I figured riddler would jump on this one too. I've seen similar topics on other boards, but it can't hurt to have it here too. Thanks for your input. Do you know of a store that carries odd sizes? I know they are made by various companies, but I haven't found any stocked, it's either, we don't special order (told this at 3 big chains), or we can get them.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Default MCAT

MCAT

Welcome to the Board.

I think the reason you could post as a guest was because I temporarily changed the configures to no user activations. I have since reverted to user activations.

Welcome to all you Kayakers and hope you enjoy the forum

jim
Old 09-08-2004, 06:12 PM

Whats happening. I believe in Mysterioso as a first layer too. The good thing about Mysterioso is that it is versatile. You can wear it alone on a cool night or day and if its wet it still insulates. I paid 100 bucks for the set. I wear stockingfoot breathable waders or Neoprene waders when it is really cold. Most of the time I can wear the breathable nylon waders but sometimes it is not enough. After Mysterioso and waders I put on a dry top. The dry top I use is by Stohlquist. It has latex gaskets at the wrist and neck that can be trimmed to fit. If your wearing waders and top on the kayak you have to use belts for protection. I use two. One is a leather belt and another a wader belt by hodgeman that can also give back support. I just bought water proof gloves that area fishing friendly. I have my ninja poly hat when I need that. Whatever any set up you have make sure you test the set up you have and practice self recoveries close to shore to make sure that the set up is pretty much water tight and that you can make a recovery.

If you have the money a dry suit would be the only 100% water free set up out there. Koatate makes one for about 700. Gul makes one for about 400. I like the wader and dry top system that I have. I am pretty much water tight while swimming with only droplets that come into my neck and down my back when I completely submerged without PFD on and swimming. There is so much trapped air though I am like the good year man floating while I am in the water.

Mysterioso or first layer, a farmer john wetsuit, a dry top or semi dry top, feet, head and hand protection is also another option.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:11 PM

Stripers247, Thank you.

So, I'm on the right track (waders, dry top). I'll keep mysterioso on the back burner for now. Out of curiosity, what's the minimum temp range for mysterioso, & does water go thru it like a wetsuit?
Thanks for the input,
Mark
Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 PM

it does not act like a wetsuit. Wet suits warm up water that gets trapped inside thus keeping your body warm. Mysterioso cut off by itself for me is 55 degree water temp air temp at 65 or greater. When it gets to near 50-50 I wear a dry set up.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:36 AM

Mark, Good job in figuring out what to wear in advance. We can't stress enough the importance of dressing for the water. You have to assume you are going swimming on every yak trip (although it rarely happens). A rogue wave, a big fish next to the boat, or something else can flip you when you least expect it. It seems most canoe and yak deaths are in the spring when the air is warm and the water cold.

I agree with Riddler's advice on clothing. I also will soon be moving to breathable waders with mysterioso underneath. I have a semidry top that worked for me during submersion tests on fresh water on Christmas Day last year. It would not be good for extended time in the water but I was able to quickly get back in my Tarpon 140. As it gets colder I can add fleece pants and top. Gloves and a hat are key in regulating body temperature.

Enjoy the fall and I hope to fish with you again this year.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:24 AM

I am the "guess" / "guest" from above. Mysterioso are base layer long underwear. Similar to expedition weight polypropolene. Brushed fleece on the inside, and a stretch nylon on the outside. I highly recommend them to anyone. I have never heard anyone say one bad thing about this product. Very comfortable, breathable and warm for any occasion. I probably appreciated them the most at a late night Patriots game last year. Speaking of Pats!!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:25 AM

OK, I went to home and logged in. :idea:
Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 PM

After thinking a bit more about this, footwear to be specific. I've seen someone bail from a burning boat wearing overalls and work boots without a life jacket. I figure wading boots would have a similar effect, making reentry difficult, & just seem dangerous. How durable are the stocking feet, on waders?
Old 09-09-2004, 11:49 PM

I wear wading boots and they are key for protecting your neoprene booties, providing support when walking, and adding warmth. They did not affect my ability for reentry.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:18 AM

what a pats game. man did we get lucky. The waders foot attachments are fine. I have never had leakage in them. Never a issue of re-entry
Old 09-10-2004, 04:45 AM

Default The pats

I missed the game but I listened to the post game from my way back from Long Island surfcasters seminar. A bit lucky rid but I think sometimes good teams force fumbles and create their own luck. I underestimated that Brady kid. This is only his 4th NFL season and he is getting better. If ya can believe it. Rolling right, throwin 25 yard darts left under pressure.
My dream. a Jets, Pats AFC championship matchup. 8)