Hey All! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Hey All!

Kinda dead in here...

So I have tomorrow afternoon/evening free. I haven't done any saltwater yet this year (I know...shame on me). I am looking for any tips or advice on a decent location so I can avoid getting skunked. I am in Winterport but I don't mind driving.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Hey All!

Yeah, so obviously the past weekend was a bust due to the weather. So this coming weekend I will have all day Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon free to wet a line.

I'm not looking for some secret hot spots but general locations that will hopefully result in a little action.

Please...a little feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Young salt

I don't know that area man or anything remotely close to the Bangor. If you're willing to travel south a little ways, say to Portland/Scarborough/Old Orchard way, I may be able to help ya.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
I don't know that area man or anything remotely close to the Bangor. If you're willing to travel south a little ways, say to Portland/Scarborough/Old Orchard way, I may be able to help ya.
Like I said in the first post, I don't mind driving. I'm willing to go almost anywhere at this point. I've been trying to catch a striper for the past 3 years without any success. I have caught Mackerel but thats it!

Let me know. Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
Like I said in the first post, I don't mind driving. I'm willing to go almost anywhere at this point. I've been trying to catch a striper for the past 3 years without any success. I have caught Mackerel but thats it!

Let me know. Thanks
I'd drive down to either Old Orchard Beach (my usual haunt) or if ya don't feel like going that far, Scarborough Beach and fish the low tide (5:32 p.m. Sat/6:16 p.m. Sunday) coming in. My bait of choice would either be chunk mackerel (fresh) on bottom using a fish finder rig or floating sand/blood worms 2 at a time. High tide any other year has produced more than the low, but it seems to be the opposite this year. Get there at dead low to an hour before dead low and fish the majority of the incoming......or fish the whole damn incoming and a couple hours of the outgoing. It's been sporadic to say the least off the beaches around OOB/Scarborough/Saco but if you put the time in you should be rewarded with a fish eventually. Good luck man, hope ya get into them this weekend......report back and let me know how ya did!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info. I'll be there one of those days, maybe both?? We'll see what happens
Old 08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Striper Hunter

One other thing, where do I pick up the fresh mackerel near OOB? That is where I'll be.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Young salt

Fresh mackerel can be hit or miss man. Try calling Saco Bay Bait & Tackle before ya head down and see if they have any (don't let them fool ya if they tell ya it's fresh frozen...usually means garbage). If they don't have any you may wanna catch your own, either up your way or make a stop at the Maine State Pier. Use either a sabiki rig or a small hook under a bobber with a tiny piece of mackerel/herring/clam. If all else fails go with plan B and get yourself a dozen blood/sand worms and float them (I prefer 2 at a time) using a fish finder rig and a 7/0 circle hook, 3 or 4 oz pyramid sinker.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Awsome thanks again

It's going to be Sunday that I'm down there.

Last edited by Blob; 08-09-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Yep, so I was there last night. All I got was mosquito bites.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
Yep, so I was there last night. All I got was mosquito bites.

Consider yourself lucky man. I was there Saturday night from 5:30 til 8:45 or so and I don't think a mosquito even bit me. Did ya happen to walk in the water and feel how warm it was......freakin bathtub assuming the water temp didn't drop too much over a 24 hour period. It didn't make much sense to me, I don't think we've hit 80 degrees more than a day or 2 this month so I was actually expecting the water to be pretty cold. Also been hearing reports of a VERY large school of mackerel offshore, not sure if it's true or not but if it is, that would make sense that the stripers aren't coming in to feed. I don't know what to tell ya man, all we can do is try right? Not much you can do even if ya have the right set up, bait, tide, moon phase etc if the fish aren't in. Give me a shout fi you'll e down this way next weekend as I plan on fishing Friday and Saturday night.

P.S. And here's hoping the water temps cool down 10-15 degrees.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Striper Hunter

I was there at the same time that you were. I was up near Pine Point, actually straight out from Bay St. Yeah the water was warm for sure.

Not sure when I'm gonna be back down there, but I'll give you a shout when I am. I'm going to be in RI next weekend, I'll be throwing a line in the Sakonnet in Tiverton, hopefully I'll have some luck down there.

Thanks for the help anyway