Kennebunkport Fishing - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Official Member

Default Kennebunkport Fishing

All,

I am new to this forum and actually new to the east coast. I will be vacationing in Southern Maine (kennenbunkport to be exact) during 4th of July weekend and wanted to spend some time fishing. I am a pretty avid fisherman back in Southern California but know nothing about fishing in this area. Can someone please help get me started? Is there shore fishing in this area or do I need to rent a charter boat? Are there charter boats that people recommend? How much will I spend chartering a boat for the day? How is the fishing this time of year? Should I be expecting to catch something?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 PM
NukinFuts

Default Re: Kennebunkport Fishing

Welcome to the board. First off, I do not fish that area often at all, so I can't offer any suggestions, although I'm sure there are others on here, that could probably point you in the right direction.
Secondly, right now, and into July and beyond, is Striper season around these parts. You can certainly go Cod fishing, or even Tuna, but that will require a charter.
Yes, there are Stripers around Kennebunkport, so I would target that species, since they can be caught close to shore. Good Luck
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Official Member

You could try the jetty... Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you will go south to Wells "that''s where the jetty he's speaking of is" there used to be a small bait guy in the parking lot at the jetty that sometimes got fresh macks but that girl in there hooked me up one afternoon.. that was some time ago so don't even know if ya gotta pay to park there now? further down along 1 and on the left is a bait and tackle shop. you'd have to backtrack from there to the jetty. if you go further down the road into Ogunquit, there is perkins cove. you will find a charter to take from there that is good in the event fishing from the rocks or beach is unproductive. forgot the name nancy/susie or some chit. and further down is york beach which sometimes has bird activity but you really need to move around during the day to find fish. none of this is spotburning btw as i just gave him general areas and as for the jetty? it is well known and can accomodate alot of people as it's loooooooong. the jetty is not hard to find as you will see signs for a CAMP and it's right there.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Official Member

Thanks guys for all of the useful info. I will definitely try the jetty for the stripers. Couple more questions if you dont mind:
1) What is the best time of day to fish the jetty? I assume its going to bebased on the tides for the day?
2) What kind of rig do I need? Long rod? Pound test? Terminal tackle?

Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Official Member

Hey Bruin,
Jetties are great places for pulling out striped bass. Most bait shops in the area will give you all the info you need.
I use a 9ft surfcasting rod with an open faced reel. I like 20 pound test so I can cast farther when I need to, but many use 30 pound test for that extra security when your hooked fish is running and stripping line off the reel and also scraping the line on rocks.

I tend to use less wieght than some people because I feel the bait needs to be moving around a bit in order to entice strikes. It's all opinion and what your used to I suppose. Again, ask the folks at the bait shops how to set up your rig.

I like chunk makerel for shore fishing, when trolling I swear by rubber tube and sea worms.

The Kennebunk beach jetty works for me. When the tide is moving just before full high or just when the tide has turned and starting to go out is when I've done the best. Parking along the beach is by permit only during the day, unless your lucky enough to get a spot near the bridge on the road going towards the village.
The inlet at that bridge is another great spot and often overlooked by tourists and locals alike, fish the side on the opposite side of the river(towards land) and if conditions are right you'll kill 'em there.

When on the jetty cast towards the beach, in an arc starting at the left side, (as if your aiming at the hotel on the point across the bay) and towards the beach as well depending on the tide. You'll be surprised to sometimes find them close in shore just on the other side of the breaking waves.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Official Member

If the guy who fished the Kennebunk Beach jetty on Monday eve the 22nd of August is reading this, you are a selfish d-bag who will someday get yours.
4 poles in pvc holders covering all the water and throwing two more jigs is way too much for two guys. You hogged the prime spots and were discourteous when I commented that you left no room for anyone else to fish.

People like you discourage others from enjoying what our beloved New England has to offer in the way of fishing.

Learn to share you insufferable jerk.