Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

HELP! I'm looking for a list of effective striper baits THX

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Riddler 
#1 ·
Hi, I would like to know what kind of bait you guys use to catch stripers and how effective is it. I heard eels and clams are good. Do you use the whole eel or do you cut up pieces? Also, what's the best spot to catch stripers in the PA/NJ area. Thank you and good luck :D .

#4 ·
Phillies pyro

Phillies pyro. What ya burning? :shock:

Welcome to the board. :D BAIT The Delaware Bay is where its at for da big boys more so in the spring than fall. Although the fall run has started. Cape may all the way up on the Jersey coast. Its clam bellies and bunker chunks or (live lining the whole fish from a boat) Eels are always a good bet. Depends on where you are and how your fishing. Use the whole eel for striper. Eels must be live.
Blues will take chunks. Near philly of course its the delaware bay. From shore, Indian river inlet is a popular spot as is Reheboth beach in Delaware. All of these are close enough to phillie. Good luck. Plugs are always an alternate choice.

#6 ·
NJ

NJ. all along the coast and the delaware river.
The coast just about any beach. What beach are you close too?
Long Beach Island state park is a popular location as is cape may, Brigantine, Belmar, Atlantic Highlands, Surf city, Wildwood. You name it.

You can take a head boat out on a night trip from cape May belmar and the Highlands. Or fish any one of the beaches. ask the baitshops whats up? You might get a correct steer. :wink: Fishermen dont always put you on the fish :lol: Especially surfcasters, very tightlipped. No one likes to burn spots. Put your time in at a decent location and you'll get yours too.

#7 ·
It depends on where you fish. If it's a sandy bottom with wave action - go clams. If its rocky go chunk macs / herring / or whatever bait fish are native. I like my chunks in easy to swallow 2" bites. Stripers like to kill eels because eels eat striper eggs - so don't chunk 'em - but live line them whole. I understand that they even like pork strips that you can buy at your local tackle shop. If you do catch a keeper don't be afraid to cut it's gut and see what it's been eating. I find lobster sometimes because I fish in rocky terrain. This is all I know. I was "just hatched" and only been addicted for 2 years & am now just learning the habits of the bait fish so someday maybe I can think like a fish too.

#8 ·
Seadogface (awesome name) has it right about "it depends on where you fish" . In CT, bunker and eels. Other spots, it clams and herring (and eels). Go to a B&T and ask what's working.

Depending on where you fish, and if you are chunking, try to chum a little. When I fish from a dock I cut off the head of a bunker, fill a MickeyD's cup with some sea water, and let the head and guts sit for 10 minutes or so, until the water is real bloody. I then pour about 1/2 to 1/3 in every 10 minutes or so - and keep refilling the cup.

Chumming works, if you are in a spot where the slick will hang.

If you are in a spot where you know fish frequent, try 4", 5" or 6" Storm Shad bodies. Pearl has been a great bet up here. They are prerigged, so you tie them on, cast, and retrieve like normal. They cost like $3 for a package at Wal-Mart, and they are super effective. The 4" pearl, I swear, are striper magnets. If there are any stripers nearby, they will hit a 4" pearl.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.