I posted this in the wrong section - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Official Member

Default I posted this in the wrong section

Please excuse me I am new here but read a thread about Manual retrieves on Van Staal reels and wanted to make a comment but for some reason screwed up on where I posted it so I decided to start a new post here and try it over. So here goes:

I know this is a very old thread but I am new here and am a happy user of what Mitchell reels called a PUM instead of a MP like newer reels. I now have a Mitchell 302 with a manual retrieve made for a ebay dealer. Unlike original Mitchell PUM's it has a sleeve instead of a bearing for the roller. It works great. I like it so much I bought a Mitchell 402 and found a 302 parts reel that had a Mitchell Made in France PUM. I used it on the 402 and found out it also has a sleve instead of a bearing(some had bearings some had sleves). What makes these reels so cool is I also purchased an aftermarket crosswind cam to replace the plamatic gearing so I could use braided line and this is why.The crosswind cam creates one motion for the spool it goes up and down so what happens is the line crosses over the last wrap and if a large fish grabs it or I snag up it will not suck the line down into the spool. I like the PUM because an old mitchell Line guide that is on the bail rarely spins and the braid will cut a groove in the line guide. The PUM ends that problem because it spins another problem with the old mitchells is braid will get line twist but with the crosswind cam and the PUM the rotor turns but with no bail it does not twist and the spool just goes up and down because the line comes into the pum and lays the line flat instead of twisting it with the bail. The rotor still turns and the spool just goes straight up and down so no line twist. The line lays perfectly on the spool from top to bottom and the line casts much faster and further with this set up. Makes the old Mitchell 302 and402 one of the best reels you can use in the surf and will hold about any fish you can catch. By the way I am using Penn HT100 fiber drag washers too and the drag i s now smooth as silk and has great holding power. I can hold more line now as well and the reels were not over 1,000 dollars each. Maybe someone can tell me how to delete the original post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Re: I posted this in the wrong section

Thanks for posting. I took care of the duplicate for you.